SimoAndYvette

How do you change a tourist visa to CR-1??

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi!

Well here we are again....haven't been back to VJ for such a long time.

I have a new question, my husband and I are baffled.

We brought his sister to visit us a couple times over the past year. While she was here she went to take English classes. She met some friends there. Well, she went back to Morocco in May. Before she left one of her classmates husbands introduced her to his friend. He is from Yemen and is a permanent resident in the States (on the East Coast...we do not know exactly where yet). I am not sure if he has only his 2 year green card or his 10...this news is NEW to us; we only found out this past weekend.

My Mother-In-Law asked us to find out how they can get married and what he needs to do to apply for my sister in law. She wants her daughter to get married in Morocco, but he wants them to get married in the states.

She only has a tourist visa, so theoretically she could come here to get married, but then there would be no family, and I am pretty sure she needs to go back, while he applies for a spousal visa.

Am I correct, or missing something. SORRY the information is so vague, but we only just found out, and this is all we have so far.

Thanks for your time!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi!

We brought his sister to visit us a couple times over the past year. While she was here she went to take English classes. She met some friends there. Well, she went back to Morocco in May. Before she left one of her classmates husbands introduced her to his friend. He is from Yemen and is a permanent resident in the States (on the East Coast...we do not know exactly where yet). I am not sure if he has only his 2 year green card or his 10...this news is NEW to us; we only found out this past weekend.

My Mother-In-Law asked us to find out how they can get married and what he needs to do to apply for my sister in law. She wants her daughter to get married in Morocco, but he wants them to get married in the states.

She only has a tourist visa, so theoretically she could come here to get married, but then there would be no family, and I am pretty sure she needs to go back, while he applies for a spousal visa.

Am I correct, or missing something. SORRY the information is so vague, but we only just found out, and this is all we have so far.

Thanks for your time!

They can get married where ever they find it fit... However she cannot stay in the USS while this case is processed unless she can do so leagally.

Once approved the tourist visa wont be changed but cancelled and a (new) cr-1 will be issues.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

new husband will file a I-130, prolly be a Legal Permanent Resident filing, pay attention to priority dates issued in the Monthly Visa Bulletins.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would first find out if he is permanent resident or naturalized citizen as Morocco embassy is hard on interviews. next, nothing wrong with getting married in Morocco if he can travel. And later have ceremony here after her arrival. Many repeat the ceremony on anniversary date and so on. for romance mostly but also for sake of family. He is foreigner in Morocco, so if you need to know the steps and information for marriage in Morocco to a foreigner, I have it. Married there in March 2010. took 1 month to complete all the needed paperwork and the marriage.

Hi!

Thanks for your time!

Hi!

Thanks for your time!

OP, you did not mention your future brothe-in-law's status in US? If he is Green card holder then it will take many years for bring your sister in the states, and if he is US citizen so all you need to do while she will staying here with B1 visa status, she could file I-130 with complex file which is included I-485 adjustment of status, work authorization and travel permit Advance Parole. Please follow USCIS guideline for that :

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Good Luck!

US CITIZENSHIP

12-20-2012: SENT N-400 APPLICATION

12-21-2012: RECEIVED N-400 APPLICATION

12-27-2012: CHECK CASHED

12-28-2012: NOA RECEIVED

01-08-2013: BIO-METRIC COMPLETED

01-14-2013: INTERVIEW IN LINE FOR SCHEDULED

04-10-2013: INTERVIEW SCHEDULE AT 7:30 AM, TAMPA OFFICE...APPROVED:)))

04-23-2013: OATH CEREMONY AT TAMPA 1 PM...FINALLY USC.....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

OP there are couple things that you said on here do not seem to fall in place and I would investigate more before you move any further.

First you need to find out what is the status of your Sis-in-law’s future husband.

If he is on 2 year conditional GC means either he is married or he himself came to US as spouse of USC and filed for divorce.

If this is the case you have major red flag…… I would run in other direction.

CO is going to reject the case as it would be seen as a fraud where he enters US first, file for divorce and then looking to get married in real short time to someone else.

If he has 10 yrs GC also how he acquired the GC thru previous marriage or work, previous marriage would raise flag too.

If he is USC then its not a problem they can get married whichever country they decide to and he will file for I-130, if they decide to get married in US then your sis-in-law has to return back to home country and wait for the process to be complete.

If he is on GC the wait can be even longer for her to come to US. She cannot file for AOS if he is on GC thus making your sis-in-law illegal until he becomes USC.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.