I AM NOT THAT GUY

Would you do it again? (Public Poll)

32 members have voted

1. 1. Well, would you?

• Yes
    • No
    • I cannot answer on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My wife knows where I sleep. :unsure:

HAHAHAhahahahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHahhahahah~~~!!!

Edited by basstof and robi

"trust in what you love, continue to do it and it will take you where you need to go...."

event.png

Filed: Timeline

I dumped my foreign ex (K-1) about 6 weeks before he was due to move here (non-immigration reasons). But I didn't think the actual process up until that point was terribly difficult, either. But the LDR aspect of the relationship was horrible (We had a self imposed extra time apart due to other circumstances)

My very next romantic interest after that happened to be another foreigner. He was an airline captain, very accomplished, model-handsome, etc. Straight up, I knew it wasn't going anywhere cos I wasn't about to commit to another LDR. When talk of the 'future' would come up, I'd say 'you can come here for work, and we'll see what happens, but if you can't then that's fine too'. LOL He wanted me to move where he was, which would have been living in the lap of freaking luxury, but been there done that. I didn't want any more adventures.

In the midst of our talks, I met my husband, who's an American. The man he is? He blew my socks off! And an American too!

I feel extra fortunate that we were able to develop and sustain our relationship without the added issues of green cards, work permits, adjustments to a different culture, homesickness, losing education credentials, etc. Not saying those are deal breakers, but they sure do make things complicated sometimes.

Edited by Anita Cocktail

I would do it again, but only with a sexy 5' 95lb. blonde haired, blue eyed 18 year old Ukrainian gymnast who has no vocal cords.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

If we were starting again from our starting point in time, but knowing what we both know now, we would probably file the paperwork for me to move to Canada instead of him to move here.

From the point we're at now, moving back would require us to be physically separated again. We chose to endure that part during engagement and now choose being together, so for now we're in the US.

In hopes that some of "what we know now" will be of use to someone else:

Once you have new information that contradicts what you previously thought, reevaluate it and integrate it into the whole picture.

Just because someone complains about their job, doesn't always mean they don't love it.

It's hard to compare one person being more picky about their job than another.

It's hard to compare one person being closer to their family than another, especially when one has and one hasn't been living with their respective family and experiences communicated are coloured by this.

Contract-to-hire in this economy may not mean what it once did. Even a permanent job may not be permanent.

If you're planning to live with in-laws "temporarily", realise it may be longer than you planned, and ask yourselves if there's an alternative.

Being an only child isn't an obligation to live near your parents in their later years. Make the best life with your spouse, wherever that may be.

Once you've made a decision and mailed the paperwork and fees, it's easy to convince yourself anything that makes it look like the wrong decision is only a little thing.

Edited by Kukolka

~ Long version of K-1 timeline in profile "About Me" ~

November 2007 - Met on Tortus server of Rappelz

3 October 2009 - Met IRL

13 November 2010 - POE Lewiston NY

28 November 2010 - Married!

23 December 2010 - Filed for AOS/EAD/AP

31 January 2011 - walk-in Biometrics

04 March 2011 - Green Card Production ordered - no interview

05 December 2012 - Mailed I-751

VJsig.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'd def do it again for my husband. But very differently, the first time he flew over to meet me, after meeting and talking online for about a year, we wanted to get married then and have him stay. At that point, it was never the plan from the beginning, I mean marrying and adjusting status, and we could have proved that as it was our first time being together, granted he stayed for the full 90 days allowed on VWP. We asked around at that point and talked to a few people and they all told us he had to go home and then we could file, we honestly weren't ready to marry but if we would have done it that way, maybe we wouldn't be as broke as we are today. Because after that came: many trips back and forth, and the K-1.

I like many others wouldn't want to do the LDR part again. It wasn't so much the distance, because we talked as much as possible but more so the goodbyes. They killed me every time. Though we had it pretty easy compared most, almost all of our trips were 3 months each time, we did have time apart but we tried to keep it as short as possible and that's where all our money went. I thought the immigration process was pretty straight forward, just waiting is the killer though once again we got away easy as our process (K-1) was one of the fastest I've seen on this site. But We're no different than any other couple, we love each other and just wanted to be together.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

• 5 months later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I would do it all over again for my husband. And, would never in a million years repeat the process for anyone else...

Ditto!! :thumbs:

“The moon is at her full, and riding high, floods the calm fields with light. The airs that hover in the summer sky are all asleep tonight.” ~William C. Bryant

Click HERE for our complete K-1 visa journey timeline.

Happily Married: December 1, 2012

AOS Journey:
Filing Date: 4/15/2013

NOA1: 4/23/2013

Received RFE: 5/13/2013 (We forgot to include proof of citizenship of co-sponsor)

Mailed our response to the RFE: 5/15/2013 (We sent the co-sponsor's U.S. birth certificate)

Biometrics Appointment: 5/20/13

EAD: arrived 6/24/13

AOS: APPROVED! No interview! Approval (NOA-1 letter)Date: 9/24/2013

2 year conditional green card received 09/2013.

10 year permanent residency approved 2016.

<3 Baby girl born February 2015 <3

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

:no:

Not with a new person :no:

Not with the current person :no:

Not with anyone :no:

Not even the ole marry your 2nd cousin twice removed :no: lol still :no:

:no: no way!

Chynna

Mrs. Gapamix

3/21/11 Made the decision to file...
4/26/11 Sent Package-----7/30/13
5/16/11 recieved NOA-1-----8/06/13
5/18/11 date on NOA-1------8/02/13
5/20/11 Touched --------------10/16/13--Alien # changed???
7/15/11 Received blue notice/RFE evidenvce of meeting with in two years...
7/20/11 Received email notification from USCIS.
7/20/11 Received text message from USCIS.
7/20/11 Touched
8/02/11 Mailed RFE with evidence required to Vermont
8/04/11 Confirmation from USPS RFE package delivered to Vermont @ 1:30pm
8/05/11 USCIS updated by text and email RFE package received.
8/05/11 Touched
8/18/11 Approved date
8/19/11 EMAIL and TEXT NOTIFICATION APPROVED
8/22/11 official hard copy received
9/08/11 NVC has received our petition
9/19/11 Embassy in Haiti recieves petition
9/20/11 Packet 3 emailed to Petitioner/Beneficiary
10/03/11 Fiance has completed Medical
10/08/11 Fiance picks up Medical results
10/10/11 Packet 3 Completed and sent
10/20/11 packet 4 pick-up and interview date given
10/31/11 Interview day on Halloween