yachachiq12

SS card not received

48 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I just thought it would be useful to put this out there. When we submitted the DS-230 to the consulate in Lima in December during our interview, we had checked the correct boxes on questions 43a and 43b to request production of a social security card (to avoid the step of going to the SS office to request one in the US later). My husband's card never came and never came. We finally went to the office and they had never received the production order. So we were able to get it a couple weeks later but it hindered his job search more than necessary. Specifically, prospective employers do not understand the permanent residency endorsement inside the passport as suitable proof of work authorization while awaiting actual cards.

Point being: follow up on the SS card order if you're relying on checking the boxes on the DS-230 Part II and have an urgent need for employment documents.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thought it would be useful to put this out there. When we submitted the DS-230 to the consulate in Lima in December during our interview, we had checked the correct boxes on questions 43a and 43b to request production of a social security card (to avoid the step of going to the SS office to request one in the US later). My husband's card never came and never came. We finally went to the office and they had never received the production order. So we were able to get it a couple weeks later but it hindered his job search more than necessary. Specifically, prospective employers do not understand the permanent residency endorsement inside the passport as suitable proof of work authorization while awaiting actual cards.

Point being: follow up on the SS card order if you're relying on checking the boxes on the DS-230 Part II and have an urgent need for employment documents.

Indeed, I have read about that happening a lot here at VJ. Seems the SS Administration is not on top of generating SS cards for new immigrants. Have to follow up if you don't get it within a month.

ROC

06/15/2013 - I-751 Sent

06/19/2013 - NOA 1

07/17/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - Case transferred from VSC to CSC

09/17/2013 - Approved!

09/23/2013 - Received approval notice.

10/09/2013 - Card received. Fini!

N400

12/18/2017 - N400 submitted

12/19/2017 - NOA

01/09/2018 - Biometrics

04/10/2018 - Interview

04/27/2018 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi,

Exactly i would say that same thing also happened to me I am in usa since a month and i still did not get GC and SSN card yet.

So i guess i need to go the office to take my SSN ? i dont want to wait anymore...

Thank you so much

ROC

03/12/2013 - I-751 Package Mailed

03/14/2013 - Received NOA1

04/16/2013 - Biometrics App. Scheduled

It's suggested here on VJ that if within 3 weeks of your POE date that you haven't received your SSN that you go to the local SSA office and apply. It's common that, although checking the correct boxes off on the DS-230, the SSN just won't be assigned unless you go in person to an office. So, if it's been longer than 3 weeks since POE, get your butt to an SSA office and apply pronto.

Timeline

It's suggested here on VJ that if within 3 weeks of your POE date that you haven't received your SSN that you go to the local SSA office and apply. It's common that, although checking the correct boxes off on the DS-230, the SSN just won't be assigned unless you go in person to an office. So, if it's been longer than 3 weeks since POE, get your butt to an SSA office and apply pronto.

Not even received the letter of welcome to usa... :wacko:

:rofl: Hahah saylin the comment cracks me up yes i will do that!!! :bonk:

Thank you

Edited by KdRjN

ROC

Not even received the letter of welcome to usa... :wacko:

:rofl: Hahah saylin the comment cracks me up yes i will do that!!! :bonk:

Thank you

Don't worry about the welcome to America letter or your green card. Your stamp in your passport acts as a temporary green card for up to a year, so don't stress about it. But an SSN you need for a bunch of things: job, credit cards, bank accounts, school, etc etc. Once you apply, it should take less than 2 weeks. I got mine in 10 days. Good luck!

Timeline

Don't worry about the welcome to America letter or your green card. Your stamp in your passport acts as a temporary green card for up to a year, so don't stress about it. But an SSN you need for a bunch of things: job, credit cards, bank accounts, school, etc etc. Once you apply, it should take less than 2 weeks. I got mine in 10 days. Good luck!

Thank you Saylin,

while i m going to SSA office What i suppose to bring with me ? passport pics ? etc ?

Edited by KdRjN

ROC

Thank you Saylin,

while i m going to SSA office What i suppose to bring with me ? passport pics ? etc ?

No no, you don't need passport pics.

Just bring your passport with the visa in it and your birth certificate. They want your passport to check immigration status and whether you're eligible to work or not. The birth certificate is for proof of age.

If you want your SSN in your married named, then I'd suggest bringing your marriage certificate too, cause I'm thinking they'll ask for it.

Timeline

SAylin,

Thank you so much i would bring my passport but i have not birt certificate with me i have my own id i hpoe it works

ROC

SAylin,

Thank you so much i would bring my passport but i have not birt certificate with me i have my own id i hpoe it works

ID should work. Just something with your picture and your birth date listed.

Timeline

I went to SSA office but they told me that they did not issued it yet and i need to call USCIS which number i have to call bec i called them and they gave me the number of SSA office dang it i m lost

ROC

I went to SSA office but they told me that they did not issued it yet and i need to call USCIS which number i have to call bec i called them and they gave me the number of SSA office dang it i m lost

Hmm, that's weird. I've never heard of that before. Usually, if you don't get the SSN by mail within 3 weeks, then you can simply go to a SSA office and apply there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Employer can be FINED for using this as a reason not to hire and you can also file a civil suit as well. If you have been told that your employment is delayed or denied for this report it and teach the company HR folks an important lesson. Its very clear what can and cannot be used as proof of work authorization.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf

Edited by Sergi9

Timeline

Hmm, that's weird. I've never heard of that before. Usually, if you don't get the SSN by mail within 3 weeks, then you can simply go to a SSA office and apply there.

USCIS officer even dont know a shiit of it i thought they gonna ask my register number on the passport or my case number so they can check why i did not received SSN or GC and welcome letter come on really whats going on ?

i dont know hell what to do i m so frustraeted now ? SSA officer even did not help us what the heck i will do or who gonna help us ?

ROC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.