nbstarpup

Dual Citizenship

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

As far as the US goes, she is fine. I am not sure what German law may require. Check with the German embassy.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

According to German law it allows dual citizenship in only some circumstances http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law#Dual_citizenship

CR-1: DCF ROC: California Service Center Naturalization

Apr-01-2011 Submitted I-130 at USCIS Bangkok July-09-2013 Mailed I-751 to California Service Center Sep-04-2014 Mailed N400 to Phoenix Lockbox
Apr-29-2011 RFE (husband forgot to include photos - -") July-10-2013 NOA1 Sep-06-2014 Package delivered

Sep-09-2014 NOA date

May-03-2011 Sent photos to USCIS Bangkok Aug-05-2013 Biometrics appointment Sep-11-2014 Check cashed

May-30-2011 Notice of Approval from USCIS Bangkok Sep-12-2014 Biometric letter
Oct-24-2013 Date of decision, Approved!
Jun-02-2011 Received package 3 and case number Oct-01-2014 Biometrics appointment
Jun-23-2011 Sent package 3 to IV unit Bangkok Nov-8-2013 New card arrived Oct-14-2014 Pre-Interview (Yellow) Letter

Jul-15-2011 Received package 4 and acknowledgment of interview date Jan-20-2015 Interview letter

Jul-23-2011 Medical Examination
Mar
-09-2015 Interview date

Sep-12-2011 Interview date, Approved!
Sep-15-2011 Visa in hand Apr-09-2015 Oath Ceremony
Sep-19-2011 POE

Oct-11-2011 Greencard in hand

It is possible, but you need to apply for something abbreviated BBG first or else Germany will cancel your citizenship if you become a citizen of another country. Member JustBob went through this and knows all about it. Hopefully he will show up and give you the specifics. Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks for all the help guys. Just wanted to get some info. I'm sure I'll have more questions in December when we actually file.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html gives some insight. Justbob had some odd 50 character German word that explains that. Actually, you don't want to keep your home country citizenship, in many cases you have to maintain it if you want to visit your mom. In these cases the Department of State has the attitude like don't ask, don' tell. And they don't like to call it dual citizenship, like calling it dual naturalization if you can tell me what the difference is.

Wife had to renew her citizenship in her home country against her will, says on her US passport, place of birth, Bogota Colombia. Won't let her in with her US passport, so had to get a Colombian passport. Which meant renewing her Colombian citizenship first. No country that I know of will issue a passport unless you are a citizen of that country.

To become a US citizen, have to take an oath to complete allegiance to this country first and renounce all other countries. But if you have a family you want to visit, no choice but to hedge on that oath.

Filed: Other Timeline

A German attorney and I are the driving force of the Yahoo group ZweiPaesse (two passports) which exclusively deals with Germans and Austrians filing the Beibehaltungsgenehmigungantrag before attempting to naturalize in a foreign country. I suggest your wife joins the group and reads the new posts once a week to get into the mindset of the application process. Once she understands the rules of the game, it's a cakewalk.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

How acurate is this Bob?

I read this as, whatever you do, you have to do it before becoming a US citizen. Seems to be a key point in the process.

From http://www.proz.com/?sp=gloss/term&id=2318137

"One translation of the German term Antrag auf die Beibehaltungsgenehmigung in English is Application for permit (authorization) of retention of German citizenship.

Glossary name: Einbürgerung

Source: ProZ.com user glossaries » Anne Koth » Einbürgerung

Field: Govt, politics

Definition:

When a person applies for citizenship of another country they may in special circumstances be able to keep German citizenship, by making an application and receiving it before the other nationality is acquired."

A German or Austrian who wants to keep their original citizenship when naturalizing in another country cannot become a citizen without having the BBG Certificate in her hands beforehand.

That means the BBG application (which currently takes only about 3 months--unless they send an RFE) and the N-400 can run concurrently, but before the applicant takes the Oath, the BBG process needs to be complete.

When picking up the Certificate (in person!) at the German consulate, they want to see the Green Card, thus making sure the applicant hasn't surrendered it when naturalizing. After all is said and done, the Consulate wants to see the Certificate of Naturalization, here checking the date again and then forwarding a copy of it they certify to be true to the German authorities.

There is no cheating possible.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My wife wants to become a U.S. Citizen however doesn't want to give up her German citizenship is this possible? Or is there anything special you have to do?

ok with USA, you need to check with Germany

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Timeline

Dealing with foreign general foreign consulates may not be convenient, but I see Germany has a few more than the average. With offices in the following cities. Hope you don't live in North Dakota. Not exactly like the DOS with over 9,000 passport agencies throughout the country. We even have two agents in our dinky little town. We are about 800 miles round trip from Chicago, and of all places, the consulate is located in one big fat no parking zone downtown Chicago. But if you work for that consulate, fee parking right by the front door. Then you are required to make several trips, in person.

Just out of curiosity, are you required to maintain a German passport to visit your country? Even with a US passport? There are some advantages to maintaining your home country citizenship. like inheritance, free health care, and at least with my wifes' home country, doesn't have to file tax returns. Wifes' grandfather is from Germany, but never traced her roots yet. Traced mine in Italy, even contacted the consulate, 3rd generation, but they still want me back. LOL, maybe we should give this country some competition for citizens.

Finding dealing with other countries interesting, new to me, but an intriguing subject.

Atlanta - Consulate General

The states of Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.

Boston.jpg

Boston - Consulate General

The states of Connecticut (apart from Fairfield County), Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

Chicago_Ansicht.jpg

Chicago - Consulate General

The states of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin.

Houston_Skyline_B.jpg

Houston - Consulate General

The states of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

LA_Mulholland_losa.jpg

Los Angeles - Consulate General

The counties Imperial, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara and Ventura of the state of California as well as the states of Arizona, Colorado, Nevada and Utah.

Waterfront.jpg

Miami - Consulate General

The state of Florida as well as Puerto Rico and the American Virign Islands.

ESB_schwarz_rot_gold_newy.jpg

New York - Consulate General

The states of New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania as well as Fairfield County of the state of Connecticut and the Bermudas (British overseas territory).

Golden_Gate_Bridge.jpg

San Francisco - Consulate General

So when travelling as a dual citizen (which I anticipate in the future), should I carry both passports with me? Do I show the UK one when I land in the UK and the US one when returning, or are you supposed to travel on one passport? What is the correct way to travel overseas?

Applying for Citizenship

17th January 2012 Sent in N-400 application

24th January 2012 Received conformation e-mail from USCIS

25th January 2012 Cheque cashed

13th February 2012 Biometrics appointment

5th March 2012 Received e-mail I am in line for interview scheduling

8th March 2012 Received letter for interview

12th April 2012 Interview date-approved

10th May 2012 Oath ceremony

In the US you are a U.S. citizen; in the Ukay you are a Brit.

You must use your U.S. passport to depart from the U.S. You enter the Kingdom with your British passport.

You leave it with your British passport again and enter the Land of the Brave and Free with Your U.S. passport again.

Every country handles this differently. For example, Canada recognizes multiple citizenships, the U.S. does not. A Canadian who is also a U.S. citizen can enter Canada with her U.S. passport alone, but she can't enter the U.S. with her Canadian passport. Rule of thumb: most countries require their citizens to identify themselves as such when entering the country and being on its soil.

If you want to make this more interesting, do what I have done: change your name when naturalizing in the U.S. I travel with two passports with two different names in it!

Timeline

Friend claims to have a Euro passport that I know nothing about, she claims it opens more doors to various countries she visits than her US Passport. She also is required to have her home country passport so hauls three. But nothing like Jason Bournes has also with safety boxes loaded with cash from the countries he plans on visiting. I gather the easiest way to get passports is to work for the CIA, a consideration once you get your US citizenship.

Wifes' home country passport is in her maiden name, way too much BS and expense to register our marriage in her home country. So when we visit there, she is my girlfriend. Actually more fun traveling with my girlfriend, don't need her permission to buy anything. LOL, also, she is far more romantic, but maybe shouldn't get into that aspect.

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, when doing your research, have you come across other EU countries also requiring a similar application being filed, prior to obtaining US Citizenship, in order to retain the first one?

I want to keep my Belgian citizenship when I become an American.

Where did you initially get started with your research? Did you contact your German Consulate abroad, and could they help you?

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.