kiley

Please help - which visa for me and my family?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Yeh that is what I was planning on doing. There seem to be a lot of clinics around and a few people that i have worked with in the uk who have gone to work in the USA work in obs/gynecology clinics. But they got in on fiancee visa's. This is all really helpful thank you. Would someone mind running me through what a H4 is please?! Thanks

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

H4 visa is for family members of H1-B visa holders. Basically you would need one of these for your child anyway and when you are married to your SO (significant other :P ) you can apply the same for them. The only other option would be that they get an H1-B on their own also which might be a little difficult depending on their field of work.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

As a doctor, as I see the work visa categories, I do not see the US seeing that as a demonstrated need position. We give foreign doctors a hard time. You may be able to find a work sponsor, but my father had a three year battle getting a specialized engineer in, who had been working for his US based company for a decade.

I think you'd have to get married and apply, then both could work, easily. Luckily, you have plenty of time.

Filed: Timeline

Get married to do what, neither the poster nor her boyfriend are USC. So please don't get married in haste, because getting married won't making finding a job sponsor any easier. To be fair to you, your field is a not a field that has a shortage of individuals with the required skilled set to hire within the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Plus 1 to above poster, getting married is not going to help you in anyways. There are tons of clinics, but as I said jobs are hard in your area at the moment.

PPl are only getting part-time jobs no new openings and when you are on H1 part-time is not going to work.

On top of if the hospital or clinic that is willing to hire you will have to pay approx $5000 for immigration, not many clinics would do that when they can find local people.

H4 is for dependant of H1. H4 cannot work they are just allowed in the country as they are family members of H1 visa holders like spouse or children.

Not sure what your BF does but if you get married in haste and all this coming to US thing. Not sure what his prof is but if he enters with u on H4 and can't work that situation would not be good.

So just thought that u want to move all your family here and be able to work coz your friends are doing is not a good idea, you need to think it thru.

Timeline

Thanks for all your help. My boyfriend is a policeman over here but I dont think he would necessarily want to do that in the USA. We have been talking about going over there for years, even as growing up both our families have had nearly moved over there. This isnt an idea that we have taken lightly. The only reason I mentioned my friends was because I had been speaking to them but they were only able to give meclimited information. Weve been wanting to do it for ages. And i apologize for the miss-type I meant we are planning on 2012 not 12. We arent planning on rushing into getting married i was just wondering if it is a necessity. Its a shame there isnt a shortage of sonographers like there are here in the UK. Im going to try and build up my skills portfolio to make me more appealing to any possible sponsors. Do you just contact the clinics/hospitals and ask if they would be your sponsors (obviously in more detail).

To kutakendra - you said wed both be able to work?....which visa were you thinking this was a possibility? Apologies if i have misunderstood.

Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You picked the one person with limited knowledge of work visa's.

First find a job, and with someone who is prepared to sponsor. No different from anywhere else. Networking is probably your best bet.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks for all your help. My boyfriend is a policeman over here but I dont think he would necessarily want to do that in the USA. We have been talking about going over there for years, even as growing up both our families have had nearly moved over there. This isnt an idea that we have taken lightly. The only reason I mentioned my friends was because I had been speaking to them but they were only able to give meclimited information. Weve been wanting to do it for ages. And i apologize for the miss-type I meant we are planning on 2012 not 12. We arent planning on rushing into getting married i was just wondering if it is a necessity. Its a shame there isnt a shortage of sonographers like there are here in the UK. Im going to try and build up my skills portfolio to make me more appealing to any possible sponsors. Do you just contact the clinics/hospitals and ask if they would be your sponsors (obviously in more detail).

To kutakendra - you said wed both be able to work?....which visa were you thinking this was a possibility? Apologies if i have misunderstood.

Thanks

You can build your portfolio and can add more skill like MRI or CAR scan, unfortunately your prospective employer is a hospital. Smaller clinics would not be interested in bringing someone from foreign country - simple reason its just the cost and dealing with immigration.

I can tell you this coz my sister is in same prof and she is USC and I hear from her all the time how hours are getting cut etc.

Policeman in UK not directly qualify him for a policeman in US as legal systems are way apart. I have never heard of police station filing for H1 as most police station are ran on money from city and city or state rarely hire ppl from foreign country.

There are lot of war vets who come back are looking for similar job as local policeman. Unfortunately both of you are in prof that are diff to immigrate with.

There is no visa where both of you can work so I am not sure what kutakendra is talking about.

I wish you luck, but as someone who originally looked into the H1-B I would advise that it's not as simple as just wanting to move to America. Say you were lucky and found an employer who is interested in hiring you. They would have to pay thousands in immigration fees for you (be aware it is illegal for you to give them any money towards that) and they would also have to prove to a board that you were the absolute best candidate for the job, and that no USC could fulfil the role. Then you might have difficulty in bringing your partner and child over with you.

I'm sorry to give negative advice, but as other members have said, I think your best route is to try and find an employer willing to put in all that work (and money) to get you there first of all. Then you can approach the marriage/family emigration issues if that is successful. One step at a time and all that! Good luck!

N-400 Timeline
Nov 2014 - Sent form N-400

Nov 19 2014 - NOA

Dec 9 2014 - Yellow letter

Dec 15 2014 - Biometrics

Jan 13 2015 - In line for an interview

Mar 23 2015 - Interview letter

Apr 28 2015 - Interview

Jun 26 2015 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thats all really good advice thanks. Fingers crossed that a miracle happens and i find a sponsor...i was wondering if you could pay it in place of them so thanks for clearing that up.....dont want to end up doing something illegal before iv even started.

I was aware that the police arent connected i just meant that i didnt think he wanted to go in to it anyway if it was an option!

My background is as a radiographer (with CT,plain radiography and fluro and theatre work experience)...or a technologist as i think you call it. But if i wanted to offer that aswell do i have to take the exams for that aswell as the sonography ones?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thats all really good advice thanks. Fingers crossed that a miracle happens and i find a sponsor...i was wondering if you could pay it in place of them so thanks for clearing that up.....dont want to end up doing something illegal before iv even started.

I was aware that the police arent connected i just meant that i didnt think he wanted to go in to it anyway if it was an option!

My background is as a radiographer (with CT,plain radiography and fluro and theatre work experience)...or a technologist as i think you call it. But if i wanted to offer that aswell do i have to take the exams for that aswell as the sonography ones?

I you get married and find a sponser for the H1 your husband will not be able to work the entire time you are in the United States under the H1 visa unless he also finds a sponser for a H1 visa

Filed: Other Timeline

I don't know why nobody states the obvious, but it may be because they try to be as polite as possible. Luckily, I am not so cautious, so I'll get right to it, if I may.

There are currently about 6,800,000,000 people on this planet, of which about 310,000,000 live in the United States. That's less than 5% of Earth's population. Of the remaining bunch of about 6,5 billion (with a B), a guestimated 2 to 3 billion people would love to move to the US and work here, pay taxes, open a business, become contributing members of society. I myself read constantly posts where "good" people in Europe have small businesses, saved $50 to $250K, and are ready to invest it all in order to start over in the US.

Unfortunately for all of those, the US's immigration system is for the most part a family oriented one. If a US citizen marries a foreigner, the door opens wide. If not, the door is near darn impossible to open. Aside from the Green Card Lottery (DV-Lottery) for which Brits are not eligible, there are 3 basic ways to get an immigrant visa which will lead to permanent residence which is documented by a Green Card:

1) FAMILY: You are the immediate relative of a US citizen. That means you have a parent, a spouse, or a child over the age of 21 who is a US citizen.

2) INVESTOR: You are a multi-millionaire investor, able and willing to open a new, US-based business with at least $1,000,000.00 start capital. You'll also have to create at least 10 new jobs. (The requirement is split in half in a rural area where nobody would want to live anyway.)

3) JOB: You are a highly skilled professional in a field that is in high demand in the US. Think nuclear physicist, or brain surgeon with international reputation as obvious examples. The prospective employer would have to file a labor certification case, offer the position openly, and prove that none of the 310 million US resident can do what you can do, at a fair wage. Not easy.

The perfect scenario would be a buddy in a position offering you a job that not only requires your exact job skills, but also language skills in English, Chinese, and Suaheli, all of which you are possess. A custom-tailored job just for you, so to speak.

Aside from these immigrant visas, there are work visas, of which the H1B is the most promising one. But even here you will need a potential employer who is willing to invest a lot of time and money to get you over to the US. While it's not impossible to pull this off, it is anything but easy. You really need to focus on finding a potential employer first, and view this as the all-important first step before packing your suitcase. You'll need to be realistic about your chances of pulling this off. They are not great, so much I can tell you living in a country with about 30 million unemployed and many more underemployed people.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Are there any licencing or certification requirements you havent thought of to do your job in the US? As in will you be certified in radiography?

I know in teaching, we aren't certified from state to state, i wonder now that is with your industry

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.