Gringo-Expat

Nicaragua embassy asking for items that are impossible to acquire

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

My Nicaraguan fiancee had her visa interview in Managua today. She brought about 30 pages of various documentation: my old 1040, my last few pay stubs, 6 months of phone records showing that I called her every day, her medical exam, her Nicaraguan police record, a copy of her diploma, and about a dozen other items. They turned her down for two reasons: Not enough evidence of a relationship and no police record from Honduras. Let me start with first one; it's easiest to explain.

---------------------

My fiancee and I have been best friends since 2005. We started a romantic relationship toward the end of 2009. I spent three months of Summer 2010 living next door to her in Nicaragua. She's from a conservative family; they wouldn't let us live together. That Summer we decided to get married.

So today, 8 long months after sending in an I-130, my fiancee had her interview. The interviewer asked her why all the photos are dated from 2009 and 2010. She explained that before 2009, we were only friends. We have photos of us from 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, but nothing kissing or hugging; just standing next to each other smiling. Apparently a two year long courtship in which we lived on the same street for three months and have spoken on video chat every day since isn't enough for the embassy.

I don't have many financial records to send. I paid my rent in Nicaragua in cash. There's no written proof that I lived in my apartment. All I have is my old Nicaragua visa. I'll send her that along with a hundred old "friendly" photos and hope that works.

---------------------

The second part is more difficult, maybe impossible. My fiancee and I met while we both lived in Honduras. I was working as a military contractor at a US base there. She was wrapping up a DDS that she earned at a Honduran university. She lived in Honduras from 2004 to 2007.

The US embassy in Nicaragua wanted a copy of her criminal record from the Nicaraguan National Police. She got that. Of course, it's empty. She's never gotten so much as a speeding ticket. At the interview she told them we had met in Honduras. They asked for her criminal record from Honduras. That's just about impossible. Anybody's who's ever been to Central America knows that the bureacracy there is a mess. It's hard enough for a native-born citizen of Honduras to get anything from the Honduran police. It will be almost impossible (probably truly not possible at all) for a foreign woman who left 4 years ago and never committed a crime to get a police report.

This may be a show stopper. If the Honduran police act like their usual worthless selves, and if the embassy staff in Managua stay stubborn, my fiancee might not get her visa. How do I convince them that my future wife is a law-abiding dentist who just wants to get married and live happily ever after?

And is it always this hard?

My Nicaraguan fiancee had her visa interview in Managua today. She brought about 30 pages of various documentation: my old 1040, my last few pay stubs, 6 months of phone records showing that I called her every day, her medical exam, her Nicaraguan police record, a copy of her diploma, and about a dozen other items. They turned her down for two reasons: Not enough evidence of a relationship and no police record from Honduras. Let me start with first one; it's easiest to explain.

---------------------

My fiancee and I have been best friends since 2005. We started a romantic relationship toward the end of 2009. I spent three months of Summer 2010 living next door to her in Nicaragua. She's from a conservative family; they wouldn't let us live together. That Summer we decided to get married.

So today, 8 long months after sending in an I-130, my fiancee had her interview. The interviewer asked her why all the photos are dated from 2009 and 2010. She explained that before 2009, we were only friends. We have photos of us from 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008, but nothing kissing or hugging; just standing next to each other smiling. Apparently a two year long courtship in which we lived on the same street for three months and have spoken on video chat every day since isn't enough for the embassy.

I don't have many financial records to send. I paid my rent in Nicaragua in cash. There's no written proof that I lived in my apartment. All I have is my old Nicaragua visa. I'll send her that along with a hundred old "friendly" photos and hope that works.

---------------------

The second part is more difficult, maybe impossible. My fiancee and I met while we both lived in Honduras. I was working as a military contractor at a US base there. She was wrapping up a DDS that she earned at a Honduran university. She lived in Honduras from 2004 to 2007.

The US embassy in Nicaragua wanted a copy of her criminal record from the Nicaraguan National Police. She got that. Of course, it's empty. She's never gotten so much as a speeding ticket. At the interview she told them we had met in Honduras. They asked for her criminal record from Honduras. That's just about impossible. Anybody's who's ever been to Central America knows that the bureacracy there is a mess. It's hard enough for a native-born citizen of Honduras to get anything from the Honduran police. It will be almost impossible (probably truly not possible at all) for a foreign woman who left 4 years ago and never committed a crime to get a police report.

This may be a show stopper. If the Honduran police act like their usual worthless selves, and if the embassy staff in Managua stay stubborn, my fiancee might not get her visa. How do I convince them that my future wife is a law-abiding dentist who just wants to get married and live happily ever after?

And is it always this hard?

It always seems that the Consular officers look for a reason to deny you a visa. It's like you're guilty until proven Innocent! I know that you think it is impossible, but have you even tried getting the police certificate? I'm sure you are not the first with a case like this. Get on the internet, RESEARCH!!!!! go to travel.state.gov and look for the Honduran embassy and find out how she can get the PC.

I Truly wish you the best of luck!!!!

Edited by muñequita y osito

02/22/2011-Married!!!!
03/02/2011-Sent I-130
03/03/2011-NOA1 text&email
03/07/2011-Touched
03/13/2011-NOA1 hardcopy

03/25/2011-Spontaneous visit to my Honey!!!!
06/10/2011-Honeymoon Visit!!!6/13-6/18-Puerto Plata
06/19/2011-Back to the waiting game sad.png

06/23/2011-NOA2 Email
08/08/2011-NVC Received my case
08/17/2011-Got Case #

08/18/2011-Received DS3032/AOS fee Email
08/18/2011-Paid AOS fee/Emailed DS3032 template

08/22/2011-DS-3032 Accepted!!!
08/24/2011-Received IV Bill
08/24/2011-Paid IV Bill!!!!

08/29/2011-Mailed DS-230 package
09/02/2011-NVC Received DS-230 (waiting on AOS)
10/12/2011-Finally sent I-864(waiting on sponsor)
10/13/2011-NVC received I-864 package

10/18/2011-Case complete!!!!
12/08/2011-Interview Date!!!!!!!!(VISA APPROVED FINALLY!!!!)
12/16/2011-POE Orlando FL
03/28/2013-NOA1 for both Stepdaughters

01/06/2014-NOA2 for stepdaughters

01/21/2014-NVC received both cases

02/27/2014-Received case #ers

03/04/2014-Received AOS Bill/DS-261 Email(system won't allow me to pay bill cray5ol.gif )

Police certs are required for every country a beneficiary has spent 6 months or more in, so there must be a way. I am sure you aren't the first person to encounter this as a foreigner. Perhaps ask the Honduras forum for tips. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

hi first sorry for your bad news

yes check in the Honduras portal im sure they will help for the police report.also call or email the Honduras consulate in the usa to question what is needed and there is one form for when you cant get a police report i don't remember where it is ask around on this website this should have been done well in advance

trust me i know about set backs in this process.

also your timeline and what you said does not match you are married but you filled a i129.

did you not have a usa bank account where you can show you money you took out in the town you lived in.

and you haven't been to see her since summer of 2010?

how many pics from 2009 and 2010 i have 30 of us from my last 2 week trip.

what about chat or video call logs? im taking 35 over 4 months?

if you were married how many pics from the wedding are her family and yours in them and letters from your and her parents saying they know you are a couple?

cards and emails saying how much you love each other?

receipts from going and pics going on romantic dinners or trips?

receipts for the engagement/ wedding rings?

if you fix your timeline and tell me more if you are married or not and more about you relationship i think the Nicaraguan members can help you more :thumbs:

Edited by stu redman

m-o-o-n that spells Vermont Tom Cullen

twitter @beamfollower

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

You may also get some help from the Nicaraguan embassy in Honduras. Perhaps they can guide your girlfriend better on how to go about obtaining the police record. I'm guessing your girlfriend was studying to become a dentist, since a lot of Nicas go to Honduras to study.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Police and Prison Records

Available. Hoja de Antecedentes Policiales may be obtained from the Direccion Nacional de Investigactiones Criminales (DNIC). Some records may be available at local DNIC offices, but the most complete records are housed at DNIC headquarters in Tegucigalpa. Applicant must request the document in person and present a Honduran identification card, a copy of the card, and a letter of request addressed to the Director of the DNIC. Applicants under 18 years of age must present their birth certificate in lieu of the identification card. For persons living outside of Honduras, a lawyer or close family member can apply for the record by presenting a copy of the applicant's identification, a letter of authorization, and the letter of request. Normal processing time is less than one week. Police records from before 1995 may not be available. There may be a fee for this service.

YMMV

Timeline

That's a lot of good information. One of our Honduran friends is a lawyer. He has copies of my fiancee's Honduran and Nicaraguan cedulas, and he's going to get a copy of her police report this week (or at least he'll try!).

Today I got to see the from they gave her. It said that her visa was denied under section 221(g) due to not having required materials. The marked materials were "Police Record: Honduras" and "Proof of Relationship." Hopefully our Honduran friend will take care of the first. I don't know if we can get enough of the second.

The embassy asked me to send reciepts of money I'd sent her. I replied that I've never sent her money. They asked me to send phone bills from phone calls I'd made. I replied that I only have the last 6 months of Skype call-out calls. Prior to late 2010, I lived outside the US and used a variety of pre-paid phones that don't keep records of calls. I'm not sure how much different types of evidence I can send. The new list of evidence---what she'll bring back to the embassy--is below. Do you think it will be sufficient?

-Receipt for a plane ticket from San Pedro Sula, Honduras to Cairo in March 2010. She and I visited Egypt and Jordan together.

-16 photos dated from November 2005 (when we frist met) to September 2010 (when we last saw each other).

-Several photos are from my birthday party last year. It was at her house and all her extended family is present. Does it help that I have a photo of my future father-n-law giving me a bear hug? Or a family photo with 20 Nicaraguans and one gringo?

-Phone list from Skype showing calls made from my number to a Nicaragua cell once a day for six months. They're short calls, but they were just to ask her to hop on the computer. Skype doesn't keep records older than 6 months.

That's what we've got. Will it be enough? Will it help if I fly down to Managua and attend the interview with her? Thanks for all your advice.

Timeline

Adding to the list: We found a string of e-mails that we exchanged in 2009 while I was in Afghanistan. They're nothing sweet or romantic, just updates on what's happening. About 20 e-mails of me writing "Today was boring but at least there aren't any rockets" and her writing "Tomorrow I'm going to the free clinic to do some volunteer work." We're going to print it and bring it anyway. It at least shows contact.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Yes, bring as much evidence as you can. And definitely go to the second interview, if possible. Of course it's not required but it certainly helps. I brought a bunch of pictures and they only looked at a few of them. Perhaps if you overwhelm them with sufficient evidence, they will see that indeed your relationship is real.

I pasted all our pics on white sheets of paper and wrote captions under each photo. That way it was easy for the consul to know what was going on in each pic. Family pics are great too.

Good luck!

Timeline

yes just what nica said everything you can get your hands on and if you can letters from both family's saying they know you are a couple and yes go to the interview you are lucky to get one do you not have anything showing pics of you kissing or emails that say i love you or other romantic things that is what they are looking for if they think you are just friend you will have problems good luck

twitter @beamfollower

Timeline

Thanks for the tip. I don't know if my limited vacation balance (only 2 days at the moment) or the price of a flight ($600 round-trip) will allow me to fly to Managua soon.

If she gets denied this second time, do they give her a third chance to gather evidence? Or do they reject it for good after the second try?

And I'm really regretting my wife's awful shyness right now. She only says romantic things in person, never in e-mail or chat or even over the phone. It would have been really nice if we had a romantic conversation in writing right now.

Edited by Gringo-Expat

Timeline

hi im still confused your timeline says you filed a i129 but you say you are married if you are married you cant file a i129.

i dont think they normaly give a second interview you were lucky to get it they can deny you for what ever they like the plane ticket will cost you a lot less time and money than filing a new petition if they still don't believe her because you didn't go. that is my opinion im going to her interview and i front loaded my petition it was over 100 pages of stuff. and you dont have a lot of pics and from what you have said none are romantic.good luck

twitter @beamfollower

Timeline

I'm not married yet. I'm engaged to my fiancee. In any event, I'm torn on whether to fly down for the interview. On the one hand, it might improve the chances to get the visa approved. On the other had, I just started a new job and only have two days of vacation. If I fly down for the interview, I won't be able to visit her and her family before she arrives. She'll have to fly to the US alone.

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm confused, did you file an I-130 or a I-129F??? Cuz if you're not married and you filed a I-130 that might be your biggest problem...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.