clueless_in_usa

The wife wants to return to Russia

200 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife would like to live in southern Russia during the winters and here during the summers unless we are traveling. Of course this would only be done after the little one us in college and I have retired.

We could live very cheaply there and have money to enjoy ourselves....for all the negatives about living in the US, that we both agree upon, we both can list more positives to living here than there, on a full time basis.

My wife was living in southern Russia and we still have an apartment there. Early on I had the idea (fantasy) about living there at least part time, but I can tell you it would NOT be in the winter! Of course I have lived in Florida for almost 25 years. My step daughter is still there, at least for a few more months until her immigration interview at the end of this month. She has had great difficulty getting a decent job, even with her two masters degrees. Also most all goods and services, especially groceries, are getting terribly expensive.

My wife has very little desire to go back. I wanted to go this summer or fall for a visit but she pretty much refused. She would rather stay in the US or visit some other "nice" place. I can remember the first time she went back for a visit and realized how dirty and depressing that area really was.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

There are opportunities to work as an English teacher in most major cities.

And you could always drive a cab!

I would think one could earn a fairly decent living translating documents and "helping" along the VJ process for suckers petitioners who are using dating services, etc.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There are opportunities to work as an English teacher in most major cities.

And you could always drive a cab!

I would think one could earn a fairly decent living translating documents and "helping" along the VJ process for suckers petitioners who are using dating services, etc.

My landlord was an Aussie that had moved to Ukraine post-perestroika and bought up a bunch of the Soviet era apartments cheap (you can still get apartments cheap in many cities, not as cheap as then but still cheap by our standards) He fixed them up and rented them either short term or long term AND he ran a marriage agency. That used to make him a very good living but it has been slow the last couple of years in both businesses.

Drivers make good money but maybe display a Union Jack or American Flag to indicate you speak English OR learn good Russian. I am sure there wouldbe plenty of business for English speaking drivers.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

My wife and I have discussed the possibility of retiring to Ukraine. For me it would only be part year. I have no desire to go through a winter there. If I am going to deal with mass amounts of snow, I'll live near my daughter and granddaughters in Massachusetts. :lol:

My wife is currently in Ukraine. She will be there for six weeks, so it will be interesting to see how she reacts about returning to our home here. My bet is that she will be happy to be here. :yes:

The question of speaking Russian is important. You will need to become very fluent if you hope to have a happy life there. :unsure:

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

The question of speaking Russian is important. You will need to become very fluent if you hope to have a happy life there. :unsure:

You'd be surprised at how many people in cities with large expat communities, Moscow especially, don't speak Russian. It's quite hard, I think, especially if you're older, to get integrated into Russian social groups. It worked out for me because I'm still quite young, but I've never seen an older-ish man kicking it with his Russian buddies, unless they're the type who just really love hanging out with foreigners. If you go to St. Petersburg, Moscow, etc. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem integrating yourself into the expat communities there, which are sizeable. If you go to your wife's hometown, you may get to know the people who she went to school with and so on, but you may be happier with other expats. (I find most of them tiresome myself, but to each their own.)

If you want to learn Russian a) well and b) fast before you go, you may want to consider doing a summer at Middlebury College. They run what is basically a Russian boot camp. It's never appealed to me (don't want to spend the summer in Vermont--sorry, Gary :devil:), but it's very intensive and effective and everyone I know who has gone has come out with excellent Russian. You can always tell someone who went to Middlebury by their lack of gramma mistakes and proper constructions. :dance:

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Also re: drivers. It's my understanding that most drivers also function as quasi-bodyguards, and do you really want to deal with the road police? I can just imagine the bribes they'd suck out of someone who is a) rich enough to have a personal driver and b) rich enough to have an AMERICAN personal driver. I really think that it's a job better suited to Russians, who understand the ins and outs better.

Первый блин комом.

Also re: drivers. It's my understanding that most drivers also function as quasi-bodyguards, and do you really want to deal with the road police? I can just imagine the bribes they'd suck out of someone who is a) rich enough to have a personal driver and b) rich enough to have an AMERICAN personal driver. I really think that it's a job better suited to Russians, who understand the ins and outs better.

Yes, but someone who is a bodyguard could probably "deal with" road police. Those guys tend to be the flunkies.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Yes, but someone who is a bodyguard could probably "deal with" road police. Those guys tend to be the flunkies.

Well, yeah, but I don't believe clueless_in_usa could function in that capacity.

The point is, American man? Already they're eyeing your wallet. American man driving with another wealthy American man in the backseat? Someone's going to be eating off your dime for a year.

Первый блин комом.

Well, yeah, but I don't believe clueless_in_usa could function in that capacity.

The point is, American man? Already they're eyeing your wallet. American man driving with another wealthy American man in the backseat? Someone's going to be eating off your dime for a year.

Even with "protection?"

Русский форум член.

Even with "protection?"

"Protection" doesn't come free.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Let her return first, tell her to get a house, find a job and then tell her you will join her thereafter.

Then wait and see how fast she comes running back to the states :rofl:

:lol::yes::thumbs:

Edited by Why_Me

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I couldn't help but chuckle at the way that sounds! :lol:

Ya after I read that I went to edit it but that option was gone by then. Looks kinda messed up.

sigbet.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.