clueless_in_usa

The wife wants to return to Russia

200 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The wife expressed her desired to build our family in Russia instead of the USA.

Although this is not an option right now due to financial concerns, what would be the benefits and pitfalls of such a move?

What other options should we consider, like part time here and part time there?

And what if we could save enough money for the foreign partner not to have to work in the foreign country (she could work there when living there and I could work here when living here)?

Ideas? Warnings? Suggestions? :help:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You will not be able to work legally in Russia FOR A LONG TIME. I considered it as my fiancee wanted the same when we were waiting. I decided against it as it would take longer than here.

Timeline

You will not be able to work legally in Russia FOR A LONG TIME. I considered it as my fiancee wanted the same when we were waiting. I decided against it as it would take longer than here.

Yup. I would love to live in Russia too, but not being able to work for quite a while is a big issue, add language barier and the fact that I'm graduating from the university, so it's gonna take a while for me to start making enough for 2 people...

But maybe one day we'll make that move.. I really don't know though in what way it can be beneficial for my fiance (unless he really wants to learn Russian at some point), but it will be beneficial for me and my parents. And my friends.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

What's your financial situation and your level of Russian language?

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Timeline

HOWEVER! Good chunk of well-paid jobs in Russia are paid under the table to avoid taxes. This is what I heard. So, if you know right people you can work even on well-paid jobs.

HOWEVER! Good chunk of well-paid jobs in Russia are paid under the table to avoid taxes. This is what I heard. So, if you know right people you can work even on well-paid jobs.

If it's anything like Ukraine, these jobs don't usually pay very well. Translators are often paid under the table, but unless you can get in with one of the bigger firms the pay is pretty low. I knew a couple Americans who did this, and it worked out for them only because they were single. It's not something you can support a family on. (I'm speaking in generalities, I'm sure there are under-the-table jobs that are quite lucrative. They're going to be harder to find/keep though.)

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

The wife expressed her desired to build our family in Russia instead of the USA.

Although this is not an option right now due to financial concerns, what would be the benefits and pitfalls of such a move?

What other options should we consider, like part time here and part time there?

And what if we could save enough money for the foreign partner not to have to work in the foreign country (she could work there when living there and I could work here when living here)?

Ideas? Warnings? Suggestions? :help:

What's your line of work clueless ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I believe there is a minimum amount of time per year a person with a green card must be in the US. If your wife moves back, it is possible that she will loose her green card. This would of course make it difficult for her to travel back here and if you guys every attempted to come back, you would have to go back through the immigration process for her another green card. I am unfamiliar with the rules on working in Russia, or even obtaining legal permanent residence. As with everything in Russia, nothing is ever easy and the rules for such from what I understand are constantly changing.

From an economic perspective, unless you can work remotely for an American company and thus have an American salary, I would say you will be worse off financially. Even when you can work and jump through the hoops that allow this (and learn the language), employees over there are often shafted by not getting paid and what they do get paid is not very much.

My two cents worth. I understand the drive to be with your wife. I too have this for my fiancee. I hope you guys can make the best decision for you.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My wife would like to live in southern Russia during the winters and here during the summers unless we are traveling. Of course this would only be done after the little one us in college and I have retired.

We could live very cheaply there and have money to enjoy ourselves....for all the negatives about living in the US, that we both agree upon, we both can list more positives to living here than there, on a full time basis.

What are her reasons for building the lives there than here?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I understand that, reason I mentioned the option for the foreign partner to stay home ... maybe taking care of the children.

What's your financial situation and your level of Russian language?

Russian is not a problem for me. Although I am a beginner, I know that I can learn the rest easily. And English is not a problem for her. She is already working here.

Financially, we are talking about this possibility to happen only when we are financially secure enough to live off only the salary of one family member. The question is, what would be the ideal threshold for "enough" savings.

What's your line of work clueless ?

I am not planning to work there, but we are both engineers.

I believe there is a minimum amount of time per year a person with a green card must be in the US. If your wife moves back, it is possible that she will loose her green card. This would of course make it difficult for her to travel back here and if you guys every attempted to come back, you would have to go back through the immigration process for her another green card. I am unfamiliar with the rules on working in Russia, or even obtaining legal permanent residence. As with everything in Russia, nothing is ever easy and the rules for such from what I understand are constantly changing.

From an economic perspective, unless you can work remotely for an American company and thus have an American salary, I would say you will be worse off financially. Even when you can work and jump through the hoops that allow this (and learn the language), employees over there are often shafted by not getting paid and what they do get paid is not very much.

My two cents worth. I understand the drive to be with your wife. I too have this for my fiancee. I hope you guys can make the best decision for you.

We know all the legal requirements related to the USA. This is only an option after the wife gets US citizenship. However, we know nothing about the legal requirements in Russia.

I don't want to work remotely for anybody. I only want to work if we are not in Russia. I am looking for advice on that necessary threshold of money to live a normal life even if we can only get one income in either country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I lived in Ykraine and it was a great adventure. Of course I was single and had a US level salary and a fully paid apartment. There is always teaching jobs avaialble for any native english speaker and the private schools pay pretty well (by RUB standards) Other work can be very hard to find if you do not speak Russian

We kept or flat there and intend to live at least part time there after I retire, though Alla seems to be getting more away from that (believe it or not, Ukraine is losing its "luster" the longer she stays here) We are very interested in the boys having dual citizenship and being able to live in either country. Sergey has a fairly serious girlfriend who talks openly about "living in America" But we just ike them to have options. More options is better.

Personally I would have no problem living there again, especially with an American retirement income, however as Alla points out, I am now in a position to need regular medical care and the medical care in Ukraine basically stinks. So that is also a consideration.

I would not want to live there earning the type of money the local people usually earn and try to raise a family there. Alla does not even question the opportunities and activities for the boys being better here. And, at least in Donetsk, the influence of drugs and, especially, alcohol are very strong on young men. We do not see that here (maybe worse in some places)

So far, both boys want to live in America but have RUB wives. :whistle:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

This is true. Most everyone has at least some (if not all) under the table money. The amount needed depends on the place you live. Bare minimum is $700-1000 per month for two people in Odessa or Donetsk. 3 times that gets you near-US middle class level of living. Add 20% for Kiev, maybe more. Moscow is wicked expensive, one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in.

Translation/Interpretation jobs pay well if you work for foreign business, Alla was earning $1500 per month doing that PLUS travel, etc. But you have to speak very good Russian, probably a better job for your wife. I had am interpreter when I worked there. He was paid $55 per day, he worked as long as I did. He was one of the better paid Ukrainians in the whole project. He had an easy job and was making three times the money of people with back-breaking hard jobs. His English was pretty good but not perfect.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

where in Russia is your wife's family? The city can make a big difference as far as opportunities/challenges/cost of living.

The legalities of getting permanent residence or ability to stay temporarily can be navigated if it's something you decide you really want to do. You might find browsing the forums at www.expat.ru interesting.

2009/06/19 - 1st NOA 1 (I-129F)

2009/10/07 - NOA 2

2010/01/11 - interview; result - approved

2010/01/18 - received passport with visa in the mail

2010/02/05 - embassy calls and asked to return visa for a "correction"

2010/02/09 - fiance returns passport with visa to embassy

2010/03/09 - embassy tells us we are in "administrative review"

2010/09/07 - fiance receives passport back with canceled visa and letter; our petition has been returned to USCIS

2010/11/08 - 2nd NOA 1 (I-129F ROUND 2)

2011/04/19 - service request response - 6 months additional extensive background checks

2011/08/22 - 2nd NOA 2

2011/10/04 - interview

2011/10/20 - visa received

2011/11/04 - POE

2011/11/25 - legal marriage

2012/07/21 - wedding with family and friends!!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

You could actually make a ton of money, more than you would in the US, if you could find a company that wanted to hire you and send you to Russia. It's considered a "hardship post," and companies will pay for private schools for the kid, a driver, etc. Expats in Russia are the highest-paid in the world.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.