Imelda

RFE - Help needed

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need help!

My Fiancee and I have been dating for a year now and I filed the petition in March, 8 months after we were dating. I received my RFE today and it says:

Last Personal Meeting - Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two -year period preceding the filing of the petition. Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day and year), copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military orders, letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following does not constitute evidence of meeting: airline ticket without the month/day/year, disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

My fiancee lives just across the border. I come and go to Mexico everyday so I do not have airline tickets. We have been living together for the last 3 months. I work here in the US and since it isn't very far, it isn't a problem. I am having a hard time though, thinking of what kind of evidence I can submit since I don't have plane tickets!! I don't have film dated photographs, but i read in a forum I can just manipulate my pictures.

Also, it says "within the two year period preceeding the filing". Does that mean I would have to prove I have known him for two years?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You need proof that you go to Mexico. Do you have reciepts for places in Mexico? Anything that can prove that you meet him? Do you need documents to get into Mexico?

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

Timeline

Hi Ni-Ing,

I do have receipts but not very many, everything is usually cash. No documents needed to get into Mexico! And my passport isnt stamped on my way back in the US.....

I am very nervous!

You need proof that you go to Mexico. Do you have reciepts for places in Mexico? Anything that can prove that you meet him? Do you need documents to get into Mexico?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need help!

My Fiancee and I have been dating for a year now and I filed the petition in March, 8 months after we were dating. I received my RFE today and it says:

Last Personal Meeting - Submit evidence of meeting the beneficiary in person within the two -year period preceding the filing of the petition. Primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day and year), copies of passport pages that show the identification page and admission stamps, military orders, letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. Secondary evidence may include film-dated photographs of the petitioner and beneficiary together. The following does not constitute evidence of meeting: airline ticket without the month/day/year, disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

My fiancee lives just across the border. I come and go to Mexico everyday so I do not have airline tickets. We have been living together for the last 3 months. I work here in the US and since it isn't very far, it isn't a problem. I am having a hard time though, thinking of what kind of evidence I can submit since I don't have plane tickets!! I don't have film dated photographs, but i read in a forum I can just manipulate my pictures.

Also, it says "within the two year period preceeding the filing". Does that mean I would have to prove I have known him for two years?

You can get close friends and families to write a notified letter and also you say you guys stay together is both of your names on the least? if so that would be a great evidence, Also did you put down your address and his the same on the application? or was that prior? Also if he is not on the least you need to find evidence that can prove you guys live together. If i come up with anything else i will come back and write have a good day.

USCIS

04/19/2011 - NOA1

05/09/2011 - NOA2 text message and email received

05/17/2011 - Case received at NVC

05/20/2011 - Received NOA2 approval letter in USPS mail.

NVC

05/17/2011 - NVC Receive (No case number assigned yet)

05/18/2011 - NVC Case Number Assigned, received IIN number / Gave Emails

05/18/2011 - DS-3032 Sent to NVC (via email)

05/19/2011 - DS-3032 Accepted by NVC, AOS Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - AOS Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - AOS Fee - PAID

05/19/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee - Paid

06/02/2011 - DS-230 Packet Sent

06/02/2011 - AOS I-864 Sent

05/03/2011 - All the Paperwork Received at NVC

07/19/2011 - Sign in Failed (SIF)

07/19/2011 - NVC Case Complete!!!!

(16 weeks from NVC case closed to Interview date assigned 11/02/2011)

12/13/2011 - Interview date!!!!

11/21/2011 - Medical DONE

12/13/2011 - Interview done APPROVED!!!!

12/21/2011 - Entry to US JFK!!!!

California Service Center

Consulate : Haiti

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You don't need to have known her for two years, but you MUST have met at least once within two years before you filed the petition. You could have spoken with her on the phone yesterday, and met her in Mexico today...that will satisfy the requirement...but you MUST prove that you have met in person. DO NOT manipulate anything! If you do and get caught you are doomed!

Timeline

Thank you so much!!

The lease is under our name! Both of ours, so I will have receipts from April that have both of our names! We live in Mexico but when I filed the petition I was living here in the US so the address that is on the application is my address in the US.

I didn't think having notified letters would help! I can get a ton of those! I can even get one from my job I believe.

Thanks for your help!! Have a good day.

You can get close friends and families to write a notified letter and also you say you guys stay together is both of your names on the least? if so that would be a great evidence, Also did you put down your address and his the same on the application? or was that prior? Also if he is not on the least you need to find evidence that can prove you guys live together. If i come up with anything else i will come back and write have a good day.

You don't need to have known her for two years, but you MUST have met at least once within two years before you filed the petition. You could have spoken with her on the phone yesterday, and met her in Mexico today...that will satisfy the requirement...but you MUST prove that you have met in person. DO NOT manipulate anything! If you do and get caught you are doomed!

Thanks for answering that question! :)

I have seen him everyday for almost 4 months and everyweekend for a year now! I just need to find a way to prove it :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Have you used your credit card in your fiance´s city/country(or her using her card in US)?

If so, get the bank receipts/statement showing a withdrawal of any purchase proving you and your fiance were at least in the same country/city.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Well... now you need to go out and CREATE opportunities to have proof! And quick!

What I mean is you have to go to unmistakably Mexican locales and have someone take a picture of the two of you together there. Like under a "Welcome to Mexico" sign, or in front of a famous landmark. Pictures celebrating birthdays and holidays with family work well, too. Don't worry about photos being imprinted with the date, just write the date and a description on the back of the photo. That's what everyone does. It's great if it is obvious what the date is in the photo, like holding up a newspaper, or standing by holiday decorations or a dated sign. Go to events where you will have ticket stubs and receipts (concert, movies, show), and take pictures there. Or stay one night in a hotel. That way you will have paper and a photo (and it is important to have paper). Even brochures or menus with a photo of you at the place can help prove you were there. You may have to spend some money to go to places or events that will give you tickets or receipts, but its just what you have to do at this point.

And at some borders, if you ask nicely the US Officer will give you a souvenir "Welcome to the US Customs, whatevertown, USA" stamp, since people collect these. :)

Let me remind you now that when it comes to to Adjust Status after you are married, you will have to show proof AGAIN that your marriage is legit. So always be on the lookout for "photo & proof opportunities". Wherever we went, Hubby and I had a lot of fun with our "Visa photo op" moments!

Don't miss your RFE deadline, and don't even THINK about photoshopping!!!!

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Timeline

Have you used your credit card in your fiance´s city/country(or her using her card in US)?

If so, get the bank receipts/statement showing a withdrawal of any purchase proving you and your fiance were at least in the same country/city.

Thanks! I do take out cash in Mexico all the time! And my bank statements show cash withdrawals along with international fees! I have already submitted that but I can print out more :)

Thanks!

Timeline

These are all great idea! It looks like I am going to have a very busy weekend putting this packet together. I am starting to feel better. I have a bunch of pictures already of trips we have taken so I will write on the back of those. I have a ton of movie tickets also. But no pictures aat the theater. I will improvise next time we go to the movies.

The border town we are at is very touristy so I am sure I can find a lot of cool things to take pictures with. I am just very nervous and cant even think of anything right now.

I am even thinking of asking the people at customs for a letter. They see me everyday!! But i am not sure if that will slide. :)

Thanks for your help.

Well... now you need to go out and CREATE opportunities to have proof! And quick!

What I mean is you have to go to unmistakably Mexican locales and have someone take a picture of the two of you together there. Like under a "Welcome to Mexico" sign, or in front of a famous landmark. Pictures celebrating birthdays and holidays with family work well, too. Don't worry about photos being imprinted with the date, just write the date and a description on the back of the photo. That's what everyone does. It's great if it is obvious what the date is in the photo, like holding up a newspaper, or standing by holiday decorations or a dated sign. Go to events where you will have ticket stubs and receipts (concert, movies, show), and take pictures there. Or stay one night in a hotel. That way you will have paper and a photo (and it is important to have paper). Even brochures or menus with a photo of you at the place can help prove you were there. You may have to spend some money to go to places or events that will give you tickets or receipts, but its just what you have to do at this point.

And at some borders, if you ask nicely the US Officer will give you a souvenir "Welcome to the US Customs, whatevertown, USA" stamp, since people collect these. :)

Let me remind you now that when it comes to to Adjust Status after you are married, you will have to show proof AGAIN that your marriage is legit. So always be on the lookout for "photo & proof opportunities". Wherever we went, Hubby and I had a lot of fun with our "Visa photo op" moments!

Don't miss your RFE deadline, and don't even THINK about photoshopping!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Thanks! I do take out cash in Mexico all the time! And my bank statements show cash withdrawals along with international fees! I have already submitted that but I can print out more :)

Thanks!

Great : )

I scanned a few atm receipts and the credit card(same digits x'ed out as on receipts) showing my name and then the thing from the bank so there wasn't any doubt of me as credit card holder. They accepted that as primary proof.

If your literally have no stamps in your passports, scan it anyways, print it and ad a statement saying they don't stamp your passport at the US/Mexican border. You can add a timeline of when you've been in Mexico(duration of stay and meeting) and if you have a couple of pictures, add them with dates and locations like someone else advised you to. This will hopefully help you establish proof of having met along with primary proof.

Another thing is phone records. Although it might not directly show proof of having met, if you used it in Mexico at any time it'll be presented on that record, as long as your name is on there.

EDIT: ..and good luck : ) Sorry I made a short story long!

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

These are all great idea! It looks like I am going to have a very busy weekend putting this packet together. I am starting to feel better. I have a bunch of pictures already of trips we have taken so I will write on the back of those. I have a ton of movie tickets also. But no pictures aat the theater. I will improvise next time we go to the movies.

The border town we are at is very touristy so I am sure I can find a lot of cool things to take pictures with. I am just very nervous and cant even think of anything right now.

I am even thinking of asking the people at customs for a letter. They see me everyday!! But i am not sure if that will slide. :)

Thanks for your help.

Those were all nice ideas, however, your RFE is for the 2 years proceeding your date of filing. So, taking pictures now, and getting a stamp in your passport now, will not help. They do not want proof that is dated for now. They want proof that is dated from the last 2 years before you filed this year in March. The petition requires proof of meeting sometime in those 2 years before filing.

Use the pictures you already took together, and put the date, who is them, and where they were taken on the back. If you print them out on regular paper, put that info in captions underneath them.

The lease being under both of your names is good, IF it came before you filed. You can send a copy anyway, with the rest of your evidence though.

Write a statement explaining the fact that you do not get your passport stamped when going through the border, and you do not take a plane, train or bus to get there. Show any receipts that you had in those previous 2 years that could match up with any photos of you together on that same date.

Having something from customs would be very helpful, but I am not sure what they could offer you now to satisfy the RFE.

Notarized statements from people that have seen you together in person during the previous 2 years might help too. In this situation, you need to send all that you can for proof.

Good luck!

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Those were all nice ideas, however, your RFE is for the 2 years proceeding your date of filing. So, taking pictures now, and getting a stamp in your passport now, will not help. They do not want proof that is dated for now. They want proof that is dated from the last 2 years before you filed this year in March. The petition requires proof of meeting sometime in those 2 years before filing.

Use the pictures you already took together, and put the date, who is them, and where they were taken on the back. If you print them out on regular paper, put that info in captions underneath them.

The lease being under both of your names is good, IF it came before you filed. You can send a copy anyway, with the rest of your evidence though.

Write a statement explaining the fact that you do not get your passport stamped when going through the border, and you do not take a plane, train or bus to get there. Show any receipts that you had in those previous 2 years that could match up with any photos of you together on that same date.

Having something from customs would be very helpful, but I am not sure what they could offer you now to satisfy the RFE.

Notarized statements from people that have seen you together in person during the previous 2 years might help too. In this situation, you need to send all that you can for proof.

Good luck!

Thanks Jay - Kay,

I will take the pictures that I have which are a ton and write on the back of them and send them along with receipts of those events.

I will definitely have written statements from me about not having my passport stamped.

Thanks for all of your help!

Great : )

I scanned a few atm receipts and the credit card(same digits x'ed out as on receipts) showing my name and then the thing from the bank so there wasn't any doubt of me as credit card holder. They accepted that as primary proof.

If your literally have no stamps in your passports, scan it anyways, print it and ad a statement saying they don't stamp your passport at the US/Mexican border. You can add a timeline of when you've been in Mexico(duration of stay and meeting) and if you have a couple of pictures, add them with dates and locations like someone else advised you to. This will hopefully help you establish proof of having met along with primary proof.

Another thing is phone records. Although it might not directly show proof of having met, if you used it in Mexico at any time it'll be presented on that record, as long as your name is on there.

EDIT: ..and good luck : ) Sorry I made a short story long!

Thanks for the idea of scanning my ATM card. I have receipts of some where i used it so i can use that as proof! :)

thanks so much for your help.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

You have a lot of good ideas. I know you will do a job with the package you are to send back. Good luck.

USCIS

04/19/2011 - NOA1

05/09/2011 - NOA2 text message and email received

05/17/2011 - Case received at NVC

05/20/2011 - Received NOA2 approval letter in USPS mail.

NVC

05/17/2011 - NVC Receive (No case number assigned yet)

05/18/2011 - NVC Case Number Assigned, received IIN number / Gave Emails

05/18/2011 - DS-3032 Sent to NVC (via email)

05/19/2011 - DS-3032 Accepted by NVC, AOS Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - AOS Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - AOS Fee - PAID

05/19/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Bill Generated

05/26/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee Paid Online - Status - In Progress

06/01/2011 - DS-230 IV Fee - Paid

06/02/2011 - DS-230 Packet Sent

06/02/2011 - AOS I-864 Sent

05/03/2011 - All the Paperwork Received at NVC

07/19/2011 - Sign in Failed (SIF)

07/19/2011 - NVC Case Complete!!!!

(16 weeks from NVC case closed to Interview date assigned 11/02/2011)

12/13/2011 - Interview date!!!!

11/21/2011 - Medical DONE

12/13/2011 - Interview done APPROVED!!!!

12/21/2011 - Entry to US JFK!!!!

California Service Center

Consulate : Haiti

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hi everyone!

I need help!

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.