Brandon&Re

Hey everyone change of plans, need help.

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey guys, so my fiancee and I filed for the I-129F in April but we ran into a snag where my parents will not sponsor her and I don't make enough by myself due to school. Since that isn't going to happen, we have decided for me to actually just move down there, get married, and apply for a permanent visa for myself for Brazil. My questions are has anyone ever done this before? What happens as far as US taxes go, I read since I'm a USC my world-wide income is accounted for, but I will not be able to work for probably a year or 2. Also, will she ever have a chance to come here without some form of sponsor, mostly because even if I do find work in Brazil, will they accept that as income above the poverty line? Oh I forgot what do I have to do to cancel my petition with USCIS?

Thanks everyone in advance, I really appreciate all of your help.

P.S I didn't know which topic to put this in so feel free to move it if it's the wrong one.

-Brandon

Edit: Added last question.

Edited by Brandon&Re

Timeline:
12/13/2008: First time meeting.
11/15/2010: First started talking.
02/23/2011: First time meeting in person <3.
03/13/2011: Got engaged!
04/15/2011: I-129F package mailed.
04/19/2011: NOA1 Received.
04/23/2011: Touched.
07/12/2011: NOA2 Received.
10/18/2011: Interview in Rio de Janeiro!!!!!
11/05/2011: Arrived in the US.
12/10/2011: Married <3.

03/08/2014: AOS Packet mailed.

03/17/2014: I-485 NOA1 Received.

04/14/2014: Biometrics Appointment.

07/03/2014: I-765 Approved!

07/09/2014: AOS Approved with no Interview!!

09/14/2020: N-400 Filed.

01/07/2021: Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, so my fiancee and I filed for the I-129F in April but we ran into a snag where my parents will not sponsor her and I don't make enough by myself due to school. Since that isn't going to happen, we have decided for me to actually just move down there, get married, and apply for a permanent visa for myself for Brazil. My questions are has anyone ever done this before? What happens as far as US taxes go, I read since I'm a USC my world-wide income is accounted for, but I will not be able to work for probably a year or 2. Also, will she ever have a chance to come here without some form of sponsor, mostly because even if I do find work in Brazil, will they accept that as income above the poverty line? Oh I forgot what do I have to do to cancel my petition with USCIS?

P.S I didn't know which topic to put this in so feel free to move it if it's the wrong one.

-Brandon

1) IDK

2) You are still a USC and will always have a tax return filing requirement. Whether you owe actual taxes depends on your situation.

3) She will always need a visa sponsor

4) any Brazilian income will not be counted towards sponsorship

5) If you are certain of your plans, it is best to cancel the petition

moving thread

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Are you sure you want to cancel the current petition? How hard have you looked for other co-sponsors such as distant family, church members, work collegues etc?

She will always need a sponsor. Your options will be for you to leave Brazil alone, find a job which pays well up here, then sponsor her, or to save money in Brazil until you have at least three times as much as the income requirement (currently about $60'000 if it's just the two of you). Or, as above, get a co-sponsor.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

My husband and I did this. Our circumstances were a bit different in that we didn't plan to come back to the US, but the process is the same if your live in Brasil for more than 6 months and will file DCF.

With regards to taxes, you still need to file them. If you do get a job in Brasil, there is a place to declare your income on the 1040. More than likely, it will be less than the threshold and you won't owe anything.

If you want to move back to the US, your wife will need a sponsor(s). You are always the primary sponsor, and if you don't have enough income/assets to get you over the guideline wage, you'll need a co-sponsor. There is no way to get around that.

My advice is to go into this with your eyes wide open. Living day-to-day in Brasil is a heck of a lot harder than being there as a tourist. Getting a job - even an entry-level job - is tough for Brasilians...it's even worse for foreigners. Depending on where you live may make some difference. If you are going to be in a bigger city like Rio, SP, Salvador, etc., you may have better luck. But when you get a bit outside those, your pickings will be slim. And realistically, you probably won't make anywhere near enough in six months or a year to get you to the US requirement.

As far as getting married and applying for residency - be prepared. Do your homework and figure out exactly what you need. I often tell my husband that Brasil's motto should be "We don't make anything easy." As much as I love it there, it's a big pain to try to get anything done quickly that involves the Feds. Have your fiance go to the local Cartorio and get a list of what you need to present before the wedding. Every city is different, and usually every person's answer is different. Better to have more docs than not enough. Many, if not all of your documents will need to be translated by an offical translator in Brasil.

Permanent residency is the same way - find out what you need. You fiance should be able to get a list of what's required from the Federal Police. The forum on gringoes.com is another excellent resource for people moving/getting married/applying for residency in Brasil that has a lot of good advice. There are sample lists to give you an idea of what's needed for getting married/applying for residency. I used that when I was getting married/requesting residency as much as I do visa journey now that we're in the immigration pipeline.

Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to tell you what I know.

Timeline

My husband and I did this. Our circumstances were a bit different in that we didn't plan to come back to the US, but the process is the same if your live in Brasil for more than 6 months and will file DCF.

With regards to taxes, you still need to file them. If you do get a job in Brasil, there is a place to declare your income on the 1040. More than likely, it will be less than the threshold and you won't owe anything.

If you want to move back to the US, your wife will need a sponsor(s). You are always the primary sponsor, and if you don't have enough income/assets to get you over the guideline wage, you'll need a co-sponsor. There is no way to get around that.

My advice is to go into this with your eyes wide open. Living day-to-day in Brasil is a heck of a lot harder than being there as a tourist. Getting a job - even an entry-level job - is tough for Brasilians...it's even worse for foreigners. Depending on where you live may make some difference. If you are going to be in a bigger city like Rio, SP, Salvador, etc., you may have better luck. But when you get a bit outside those, your pickings will be slim. And realistically, you probably won't make anywhere near enough in six months or a year to get you to the US requirement.

As far as getting married and applying for residency - be prepared. Do your homework and figure out exactly what you need. I often tell my husband that Brasil's motto should be "We don't make anything easy." As much as I love it there, it's a big pain to try to get anything done quickly that involves the Feds. Have your fiance go to the local Cartorio and get a list of what you need to present before the wedding. Every city is different, and usually every person's answer is different. Better to have more docs than not enough. Many, if not all of your documents will need to be translated by an offical translator in Brasil.

Permanent residency is the same way - find out what you need. You fiance should be able to get a list of what's required from the Federal Police. The forum on gringoes.com is another excellent resource for people moving/getting married/applying for residency in Brasil that has a lot of good advice. There are sample lists to give you an idea of what's needed for getting married/applying for residency. I used that when I was getting married/requesting residency as much as I do visa journey now that we're in the immigration pipeline.

Good luck. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to tell you what I know.

I agree with everything Tricia said. I researched what would have to be done to get a permanent resident visa for Brasil and found my local embassy to be helpful. Just go to the website for your local brasilian embassy and find the section on visas for spouses of Brasilians. That will give you some idea of the requirements. The local cartorio where your fiance lives can be helpful as well like Tricia said. In my opinion, the process is very similar to our K1 process here and takes about as long. You can live there for 6 months and file for DCF (don't know the whole process on this but I believe there are guides here on VJ), but as stated earlier you will still need enough money to meet the guidelines or by then have another sponsor to help you. I lived in Brasil for 16 months and loved it, but it is very different from here, and there are many things you need to consider before deciding to live there permanently. By the way, do you speak Portuguese? Even though alot of people in the larger cities speak English, you really need a good foundation in the language. I recommend Rosetta Stone if you need to start studying. Whatever your decision is, I wish you the best. It sounds like you are probably only a short ways away from NOA2, so if there is any way to line up another sponsor, at least you would have the option of staying here or continuing with the plan to move to Brasil. It is a beautiful country with wonderful people. However, Tricia is right--anything government related is very difficult and takes a long time. Good luck to you! :thumbs:

event.png

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the information, we have been reading everything on what I would need to bring for the residency. I do have a basic knowledge of portuguese, I have rosetta stone and have been studying it a lot plus my fiancee helps me. Tricia, how are you and your husband holding up, which is the USC and how is everything working out? I notice that your local office is Cleveland, I actually live in Brunswick about a half hour south of cleveland, crazy coincidence. Thank you once again for everyone's help, I truly appreciate it.

-Brandon

Timeline:
12/13/2008: First time meeting.
11/15/2010: First started talking.
02/23/2011: First time meeting in person <3.
03/13/2011: Got engaged!
04/15/2011: I-129F package mailed.
04/19/2011: NOA1 Received.
04/23/2011: Touched.
07/12/2011: NOA2 Received.
10/18/2011: Interview in Rio de Janeiro!!!!!
11/05/2011: Arrived in the US.
12/10/2011: Married <3.

03/08/2014: AOS Packet mailed.

03/17/2014: I-485 NOA1 Received.

04/14/2014: Biometrics Appointment.

07/03/2014: I-765 Approved!

07/09/2014: AOS Approved with no Interview!!

09/14/2020: N-400 Filed.

01/07/2021: Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

-Brandon

Maybe I'm missing something here but, if you are willing to leave school to move to Brazil, why not leave it to pursue full-time employment here in the U.S. in something that would put you over the 125% poverty level?

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.