Thomas J

Going too Quick

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello, I just got word that our K-1 Visa got approved. Its great news but it will be sent to Sydney and our wedding isnt until March of next year (a religious one in Australia then a legal one in the states soon after). I filed in April of this year and saw from the info that it should take longer then it did. Once approved the K-1 Visa is only good for 6 months.

So can we stall the embassy by not sending that first letter back, or is there a way to have the push the interview date back a few months? Thanks everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Check with the embassy for their interview schedule dates some are a few months away I know for Theary right now they are 2 months out. You may not need to request a delay but if they schedule you one to soon I do believe you can ask for a delay

Daniel

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

I-129F Sent : Feb 9,2011

I-129F Received :In Texas then sent to CSC Feb 11,2011

Check cashed and in Initial Review : Feb 16,2011

I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy : Feb 15 2011

TOUCHED 04/04/2011 Is it wrong to be happy to be touched by a stranger?

I-129F RFE(s) : None

I-129F NOA2 :05/27/2011

NVC Received :06/09/2011

NVC Left : 06/27/2011

Consulate Received : 07/01/2011

Packet 3 Received : 07/18/2011

Packet 3 Sent : 07/19/2011

Medical Exam : 07/19/2011

Packet 4 Received :07/25/2011

Interview Date :09/13/2011

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 09\16\2011

US Entry : 09\20\2011

Marriage :09/22/2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I think you will be fine. Likely interview would be Septemberish. Entry in January or even February would still be under the 6 months and then you have 90 days to marry. Although I would not push it too close to the 90 day mark.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

Hello, I just got word that our K-1 Visa got approved. Its great news but it will be sent to Sydney and our wedding isnt until March of next year (a religious one in Australia then a legal one in the states soon after). I filed in April of this year and saw from the info that it should take longer then it did. Once approved the K-1 Visa is only good for 6 months.

So can we stall the embassy by not sending that first letter back, or is there a way to have the push the interview date back a few months? Thanks everyone.

Since you are not having your religious wedding in the united states, could you not just have your fiance come here get married with the now approved k-1 visa do the legal marriage and then go back to Australia for the religous ceremony? (according to your time line your just got your noa1 just in april have you already received your noa2 and had your interview at the embassy just curious?) Also note that even if you do decide to cancel this K-1 visa and then reapply latter. There is no guarantee you'll get approved in a timely manner for you wedding next year. They often tell you not to make arrangement until you have visa in hand.

Edited by Sunny123

Timeline

Since you are not having your religious wedding in the united states, could you not just have your fiance come here get married with the now approved k-1 visa do the legal marriage and then go back to Australia for the religous ceremony? (according to your time line your just got your noa1 just in april have you already received your noa2 and had your interview at the embassy just curious?) Also note that even if you do decide to cancel this K-1 visa and then reapply latter. There is no guarantee you'll get approved in a timely manner for you wedding next year. They often tell you not to make arrangement until you have visa in hand.

I haven't received my NOA-2 officially yet but got the emails and texts stating that it was approved. I'll update that once I get the NOA-2 in the mail. I've thought about maybe having her come here first but because of personal reasons I'm not sure if it would work. Don't think cancelling it would be a good idea. Hopefully we can ask for a delay in all.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Ahh not sure why you would think it would take so long as AUS normally gets approved fairly quick as we are a low fraud country. In saying that when you get your NOA2 you the petitioner will receive the next packet 3 with all the information the beneficiary has to collect. Interviews are scheduled withing 4 weeks in Sydney once they get your packet 3. So as you are not planning a wedding till next March which is 9 months away you would have to email the US consulate and see if they would extend the visa 3 months. You can't ring Sydney consulate you will have to email. I am not sure how you can have a religious wedding in Australia without it being a legal one as all ministers and priests are required to register it with BDM. So with saying that if you follow through with your packet 3 your fiancee would have her interview and visa in hand approx Sept. The suggestion you have had about her coming to the states and getting married might be an idea but then she can't leave until you do AOS and she has AP card to go back to OZ for a ceremony. You have a lot to think about. Just thinking though she has to have a medical can take 2 weeks to get an appointment, and police report takes 4 weeks to get back in some cases and such so that goes into end of August then sending packet 3 in takes you into Sept. 6 months is March so depending on what date you have chosen she might just make the 6 months expiry. But am sure they will extend the visa if asked not sure though.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Once you know your interview date and your paperwork has made it to the consulate in sydney, just email them and ask for an interview at a later date. They are not backed up so if you email and ask for a september or october date you should get it with no issues. They are very prompt at replying to emails, but cant do much till they have paperwork from the states at the consulate already.

The email address is : SydneyIV@state.gov

Met online June 27, 2008

May 15 2010 -- The Wedding in Castlemain, Victoria Australia

June 22, 2010 -- Mailed to Chicago lock box

July 5th recieved NOA1

Nov 1 2010 Case transfered to Texas Service Center

Nov 24 2010 Case Transfered to USCIS Office ???

Feb 7th Changed address on USCIS web site

Feb 17th Wifes case approved

Feb 18Th Step-Son's case RFE

Feb 27th Both Cases put back into "Initial Review"

Mar 28Th Case approved at USCIS

Apr 14Th AOS Fee Paid

Apr 19Th IV Fee paid

Apr 19Th AOS packets Sent

Apr 21St IV Packets Sent

May 19Th RFE for Wife IV Recieved

May 19Th RFE for Stepson IV Recieved

May 22nd RFE reply for wife and stepson sent to NVC (Overnight)

June 3rd NVC message changed to show that RFE being processed

June 6th NVC payment portal SIF

June 9th NVC message changed to case closed

June 11th Interview scheduled in Sydney for July 26th

June 15th NVC mailed package to Sydney

June 20Th Package delivered to consulate

June 23rd emailed consulate for earlier interview

June 26th reply from consulate Intervirw moved to July 12th

event.png

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Once you know your interview date and your paperwork has made it to the consulate in sydney, just email them and ask for an interview at a later date. They are not backed up so if you email and ask for a september or october date you should get it with no issues. They are very prompt at replying to emails, but cant do much till they have paperwork from the states at the consulate already.

The email address is : SydneyIV@state.gov

Are you talking about the same consulate ? lol prompt in replying your kidding right? Once their petition gets to Sydney from NVC she can collect her paper work and yes request a later interview then.

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

• 1 month later...
Timeline

I have another questions about all this. Well the petition made it to Sydney and I found out there is a four month validity on it. No problem, I hear consulates renew them pretty easily. My question is, should we wait to send the packet to Sydney, then ask for a renewal for the interview, or send the packet in soon, and ask for an interview date outside of the validity time?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This post is old but a correction here. Your VISA has NOT been approved. Your PETITION has been approved and now you can apply for the VISA (which is the australian side of things)

Also confirming that while the visa itself is valid for 6 months you have 90 days to marry once you have arrived.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I have another questions about all this. Well the petition made it to Sydney and I found out there is a four month validity on it. No problem, I hear consulates renew them pretty easily. My question is, should we wait to send the packet to Sydney, then ask for a renewal for the interview, or send the packet in soon, and ask for an interview date outside of the validity time?

I don't really know why you think you need an interview outside the validity time. I don't know what stage you're at as your timeline says you haven't received NOA2 yet (please update your timeline to get more accurate answers) but you mention "the packet" so I assume that's packet 3. If you were to send it in september, or october, you'll get an interview about a month later taking you to either Oct or Nov. Assuming you get approved then and there (which is likely), you'll get the visa which wouldn't expire until March or April of 2012. The validity of the visa is to ARRIVE in the US. You could arrive in the last week of it's validity and that would be fine.

Once you arrive in the US you are now controlled by your I-94 and have 90 days to marry. This means you would have either March, April, May, and June OR April, May, June and July (depending on exact dates of course)... so there's absolutely no issue seeing you said your wedding is planned for March.

Just wait a month or two to send packet 3 back and you'll have no issues.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.