bairesgirl

Getting ready for the AOS interview

29 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!How are you all doing?? I hope great and seeing progress on your AOS.

I got the letter for the interview appointment for the AOS interview ( it will be next July 27th) and even tough there s a long list of documents and things I have to bring with me to the interview I wanted to hear any advice that any of you can give me.

I know every case and officer is different but I want to make sure I m ready and have everything I need for the interview.

So what are the most important documents I should have with me?? what are the documents they ALWAYS ask for, what r the most common questions, etc.

I have a lawyer and she will be there the day of the interview but I also know the officer always has the last word, and there s not much the lawyer can do about it...

Any help, info, advice is welcome, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

co-mingling of accounts: bank statements, health/car/life insurances, bills and evidences. :) and original birth certificates, marriage certificate. i even made copies, but the IO didn't take any.

Edited by mrsfrisbey

AOS
(3.31.2011: Filed I-485 + EAD & AP)

4.01.2011: Received Chicago Lockbox
4.05.2011: Check cashed & NOA1 sent
4.06.2011: NOA1 received & Touched all cases
4.14.2011: Biometrics Appointment Letter Notice (dated 04.11)
5.02.2011: Biometrics Appointment Done
5.17.2011: Email/Text notification for Interview on 6.21
5.18.2011: Received Interview notice in the mail (dated 05.14)
5.24.2011: Email/Text notification - order production of EAD & AP
5.30.2011: EAD + AP card in the mail (dated 05.27)
6.21.2011: AOS Interview approved and card production ordered. (day 82)
6.24.2011: Received Welcome Letter in the mail (dated 6.22)
6.28.2011: Received Green Card in the mail.

ROC with Waiver (deceased spouse)

4.15.2013: Sent 1-751
4.17.2013: 1-751 Receipt Notice (with one year extension). CSC
5.10.2013: Biometrics Appointment Letter (dated 05.08) ESC
5.28.2013: Biometrics Completed.
8.12.2013: RFE (lost documents)
8.29.2013: ROC Approved
9.19.2013: 10 year GC (in the mail)

N-400 (5 Years)

03.24.2016: Sent N-400 (USCIS received 03.25)

03.25.2016: Priority Date

04.07.2016: Received complete N-400 (missing a page)

04.08.2016: Payment was charged to CC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Joint account statements and lease contract are very important in my case the IO kept those documents with her.the interview process is not painful at all,as long as you have an organized file and of course,proof of bona fide marriage.

good luck :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone!How are you all doing?? I hope great and seeing progress on your AOS.

I got the letter for the interview appointment for the AOS interview ( it will be next July 27th) and even tough there s a long list of documents and things I have to bring with me to the interview I wanted to hear any advice that any of you can give me.

I know every case and officer is different but I want to make sure I m ready and have everything I need for the interview.

So what are the most important documents I should have with me?? what are the documents they ALWAYS ask for, what r the most common questions, etc.

I have a lawyer and she will be there the day of the interview but I also know the officer always has the last word, and there s not much the lawyer can do about it...

Hi Bairesgirl,

we have the same interview date =) were on july 27 too. goodluck for us. we have a lawyer too but i don't know if he is coming. were going meet him first to prepare us for the interview and advice and check the documents that we would bringing =)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for the info!!!

Sorry for the late reply but I haven t been checking this site for weeks now.

Oh my god Karah! I bet you are starting to get nervous like me lol

It s like I haven t really been thinking about it til this holiday weekend, I started thinking " what if the interview goes wrong and I m not here next 4th of July??? lol

Let s hope everything goes well for u and me!! I don t know where you have the interview at but in my case, in Hartford CT, they don t make a decision right away ( which I hate...) so that means I ll have to wait a few days til I hear back from them with the final word, gosh I don t think I will sleep those days.

All I can say is I cannot wait for all this paperwork and stress to be over, not knowing what s gonna happen makes me very anxious.

I feel like I m really starting to build a life here and I don t wanna leave!!

I ll make a post when I come back from the interview, my lawyer is coming with me but you know the IO always has the last word in these cases.

All the best of luck for the people who haven t had the interview yet!! Let s be positive.

Timeline

Thank you all so much for the info!!!

Sorry for the late reply but I haven t been checking this site for weeks now.

Oh my god Karah! I bet you are starting to get nervous like me lol

It s like I haven t really been thinking about it til this holiday weekend, I started thinking " what if the interview goes wrong and I m not here next 4th of July??? lol

Let s hope everything goes well for u and me!! I don t know where you have the interview at but in my case, in Hartford CT, they don t make a decision right away ( which I hate...) so that means I ll have to wait a few days til I hear back from them with the final word, gosh I don t think I will sleep those days.

All I can say is I cannot wait for all this paperwork and stress to be over, not knowing what s gonna happen makes me very anxious.

I feel like I m really starting to build a life here and I don t wanna leave!!

I ll make a post when I come back from the interview, my lawyer is coming with me but you know the IO always has the last word in these cases.

All the best of luck for the people who haven t had the interview yet!! Let s be positive.

Hi bairesgirl,

good for you your lawyer is coming with you. i dont know with ours because were meeting him this thursday to check everything that we have. why your lawyer is coming? does it depends on case also? thank you so much

Timeline

Now I am nervous!lol!

My interview is on July 25, 10am in Indianapolis...lol! I have to print all our pix, get his letter of employment from work (told him last night if their HR cant' give it to him by July 15, I will go there personally and ask...haha!), oh we will get our life insurance policy tomorrow. We can't get a car accident insurance yet as I dont have my EAD card still so no SSN nor state ID nor DL yet...it shud be here this week then we can get my name in his auto insurance out of the way..hopefully! We got the letter from his auuto ins. agent dated way before we got the interview letter saying I will only be included in his ins. when I have my SSN and DL. Time is pretty tight but I can't do anything about it! Also, the health insurance..we don't have it yet and we will get it when I get a job. He has a very good tax record the past 3 years. He was on unemployment since Nov 2010. He returned to work in May 2011 so he has been catching up with the mortgage, back child support, bills, etc. My not being able to work yet does not help at all. I do have a job offer with a local preschool once I get my EAD and SSN! :)

So maybe we will only have life insurance, joint bank accounts, photos, marriage certificate, birth certs, medical, utility bills, cards on the interview. That's what we can afford at this time.

If I get my EAD (since it's on production on June 30 per my NOA) this week, we have to go to SSA for my SSN..will take 5 -14 days for my card. State ID maybe I can get in 2 days..will have to schedule DL test.Idk how long til you get DL (if I pass the on the first test!) then I can be included in his auto insurance..sigh!

I am trying to be cool..I just remind myself..we entered the marriage in good faith. We have some circumstances we need to explain during the interview and pray the IO will understand. Has anyone been approved the GC with no car and health insurances?

Good luck on our interviews!

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

hey prep mac i was wondering the same, in 14 days i will have my interview (july 20 :star: ) i dont know if the EAD will come , so i cant apply for a SSN yet my hubby and i have a joint bank account, the lease agreement and we also have the rent receipts, besides that we have our emails when started dating and photos and all the flights information ( we met online for two years we visit each other NJ and CA ) But im a little worried for the car insurance and health ins,

Now I am nervous!lol!

My interview is on July 25, 10am in Indianapolis...lol! I have to print all our pix, get his letter of employment from work (told him last night if their HR cant' give it to him by July 15, I will go there personally and ask...haha!), oh we will get our life insurance policy tomorrow. We can't get a car accident insurance yet as I dont have my EAD card still so no SSN nor state ID nor DL yet...it shud be here this week then we can get my name in his auto insurance out of the way..hopefully! We got the letter from his auuto ins. agent dated way before we got the interview letter saying I will only be included in his ins. when I have my SSN and DL. Time is pretty tight but I can't do anything about it! Also, the health insurance..we don't have it yet and we will get it when I get a job. He has a very good tax record the past 3 years. He was on unemployment since Nov 2010. He returned to work in May 2011 so he has been catching up with the mortgage, back child support, bills, etc. My not being able to work yet does not help at all. I do have a job offer with a local preschool once I get my EAD and SSN! :)

So maybe we will only have life insurance, joint bank accounts, photos, marriage certificate, birth certs, medical, utility bills, cards on the interview. That's what we can afford at this time.

If I get my EAD (since it's on production on June 30 per my NOA) this week, we have to go to SSA for my SSN..will take 5 -14 days for my card. State ID maybe I can get in 2 days..will have to schedule DL test.Idk how long til you get DL (if I pass the on the first test!) then I can be included in his auto insurance..sigh!

I am trying to be cool..I just remind myself..we entered the marriage in good faith. We have some circumstances we need to explain during the interview and pray the IO will understand. Has anyone been approved the GC with no car and health insurances?

Good luck on our interviews!

Thanks!

Timeline

hey prep mac i was wondering the same, in 14 days i will have my interview (july 20 :star: ) i dont know if the EAD will come , so i cant apply for a SSN yet my hubby and i have a joint bank account, the lease agreement and we also have the rent receipts, besides that we have our emails when started dating and photos and all the flights information ( we met online for two years we visit each other NJ and CA ) But im a little worried for the car insurance and health ins,

Batya!

I got an update this morning..for the second time they told me my EAD card on production so hopefully within the week...sigh! I got our pix printed out, life insurance will be in hand tomorrow...if the auto insurance be not available by July 25, it wouldn't be taken against us..that's beyond us..haha!The IRS transcripts are ready too..he owns his house so no lease here.we alos printed the oldest email we cud find in his inbox cuz I have changed laptops 3x since we met, one crashed...the dating site where we met doesnt have our old emails either.Just bring what we have and can.

Thanks and good luck!

Timeline

yes im getting ready im very anxious, my interview is 5 days before yours.. i keep it post, Good luck and congrats for your EAD!

Batya!

I got an update this morning..for the second time they told me my EAD card on production so hopefully within the week...sigh! I got our pix printed out, life insurance will be in hand tomorrow...if the auto insurance be not available by July 25, it wouldn't be taken against us..that's beyond us..haha!The IRS transcripts are ready too..he owns his house so no lease here.we alos printed the oldest email we cud find in his inbox cuz I have changed laptops 3x since we met, one crashed...the dating site where we met doesnt have our old emails either.Just bring what we have and can.

Thanks and good luck!

I just got a letter from my lawyer telling me to meet up so she can guide me and my husband about how the interview usually is , what questions they will ask and what papers we need.

I have most of the things they ask for but for example, he haven t added me on the car insurance because I don t have my license yet, since I come from a big city where you don t need a car to move around ( there s public transportation everywhere) I never had a license before ( which nowadays I regret badly because I would feel more confident driving here if i have had a license before...) but well...

And the house, he owns the house so we have no lease papers,that also means he has a big property tax payment due this month, which means we don t have enough money yet for me to pay my driving course ( I know many people learn completely on their own and take the exam straight but, I wanna feel confident so I prefer to take the course first, before applying for the license i mean) I think i have all the rest so I want to believe we ll be fine.

I cannot wait for all this paperwork and anxious days to be over.

PD: The Hartford office where i ll have the interview don t make a decision the same day ( When my laywer told me that I was like whattttt?? lol) I mean I don t think I ll sleep after my interview and til I have the final answer... so stressful!!

Timeline

when is your interview? i know how stressful is this process

I just got a letter from my lawyer telling me to meet up so she can guide me and my husband about how the interview usually is , what questions they will ask and what papers we need.

I have most of the things they ask for but for example, he haven t added me on the car insurance because I don t have my license yet, since I come from a big city where you don t need a car to move around ( there s public transportation everywhere) I never had a license before ( which nowadays I regret badly because I would feel more confident driving here if i have had a license before...) but well...

And the house, he owns the house so we have no lease papers,that also means he has a big property tax payment due this month, which means we don t have enough money yet for me to pay my driving course ( I know many people learn completely on their own and take the exam straight but, I wanna feel confident so I prefer to take the course first, before applying for the license i mean) I think i have all the rest so I want to believe we ll be fine.

I cannot wait for all this paperwork and anxious days to be over.

PD: The Hartford office where i ll have the interview don t make a decision the same day ( When my laywer told me that I was like whattttt?? lol) I mean I don t think I ll sleep after my interview and til I have the final answer... so stressful!!

Filed: Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi I just wanted to share our experience at the interview since this forum has been so helpful, I wanted to give something back.

We had our interview this Friday July 8th 2011 at 7:45 am in San Francisco.

So we arrived there like at 7:30, we had no trouble going thru, they just check our things like at the airport, they let me in with my celphone, just no cameras (which we didn't bring).

We then went to with the receptionist who told us to wait on room C, and we waited there for about 20 min and then the uscis person asked us to come in to the interview. She told us her name and it was also on the desk.

She then asked us who the beneficiary (my husband) and asked him to sit in front of her, and me besides. Then she asked for his passports and my ID.

She just went pretty quick checking that all the information that we sent was correct, his name, dob, address, job, phone number, signature. She made corrections to that paper in case there was something wrong, and then just asked my husband to verify the corrections and sign that they were okay. She asked to see our original birth certificates and marriage certificate and just verified with the copies she already had.

Then she asked for the most recent tax forms, which we didn't send because it wasn't ready yet at the time we sent the papers but now they were, and we forgot, but I just showed her my pay stubs which show that I'm paying taxes and that was it about that.

Asked about when we met, when we started dating, when we became boyfriend/girlfriend, when we got married.

Then asked for proof about our relationship, lease of the house we rented before coming to the US, bank accounts together, his name on my insurance and we showed her a photo album (which she loved watching, loved our dog).

And that was it, she said that everything looked good, that she was going to review all the papers just to verify everything and she gave us paper that said that (also included her name, I thought it was important so in case we had a problem we would know who to call). She mentioned that this was a usual review and that the green card once approved would arrive in 30 days.

I thought that the interview went really well.

And today I checked the USCIS web site and it says that the documents are approved and in process!

:dance:

good luck to all

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

good luck on your interview....... :thumbs:

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.