virtualNik

Necessary Translated Documents for K1 Visa in Ukraine

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

My fieance is in Mykolayiv, Ukraine, and since we will be dealing with the embassy in Kiev, the Embassy web site states that all documents that they accept can be in Ukrainian, Russian and English. In other words, my fience does not need any translated documents for the purpose of taking medical exams, going to the interview, receiving a VISA and then entering the States. Correct? I can see the customs in the States, wanting to see some English documents, but that's about it. Everything else can be translated here in the States.

Please clarify this for me: in Ukraine, what does the fience/e need in terms of translated documents in order to perform all necessary embassy, medical and travel arrangements? I wanted for my fience to translate all of their official documents, passports, medical records, university diplomas, etc., into English. Is this the correct route?

My fience went to a notary service in Ukraine today and wanted to have her passport and birth certificate translated, but they told her that they need to be OK'd through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev. That's a train ride to Kiev for more fees and an official OK ... do I have this right?

Please clarify the process for me, if someone has done this and knows what the route is. I will call the US Embassy in Kiev tomorrow and ask them personally, what they will need.

Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You absolutely need translation. Notarization is not necessary but certification is.

1) Foreign passport - biographical page

2) Birth certificate

3) Police Certificate

There are 2 routes:

1) You can ask someone who is russian/ukrainin speaking in US to do translation and certify and sign that they are fluent in both.

2) Ask her to notary translate in Ukraine those three documents. If done in Ukraine this is the easiest.

Timeline

Very well. What do you mean in terms of 'certification'? Is this the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs stamp? If I understand it correctly, notary services do the translation as well as some stamp for approval. Correct?

You absolutely need translation. Notarization is not necessary but certification is.

2) Birth certificate

3) Police Certificate

There are 2 routes:

1) You can ask someone who is russian/ukrainin speaking in US to do translation and certify and sign that they are fluent in both.

2) Ask her to notary translate in Ukraine those three documents. If done in Ukraine this is the easiest.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Certification means that person fluent in both English and Ukrainian made translation AND certified that he/she are fluent in both. Basically, writing under the translation

Notarization is stamped by certified notary.

Both have nothing to o with government..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

If the website says no translations are needed then why are you bothering? Each Embassy is different and if they don't need translations then they don't need them. Nothing will need to be translated for the POE either. The Embassy is Moldova is the same way. We were told they will accept any documents in English, Russian or Romanian. Translations will be needed for the Greencard process, but as you said that can be done in America.

I-129F Sent : 2011-04-05

I-129F NOA1 : 2011-04-07

NOA1 hardcopy: 2001-04-16

I-129F NOA2: 2011-06-28

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

OP: I have read your timeline and from what I can see, the petition has already been submitted to USCIS (correct me if I'm wrong). While translations are necessary for USCIS, if the Embassy instructions say documents submitted to the Embassy in Kiev that are in Ukrainian and Russian are acceptable as well as English, then tranlations to English from Ukrainian or Russian should not be necessary.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

2) Birth certificate

3) Police Certificate

There are 2 routes:

no, no, no. The Kyiv consulate will accept these without translation if they are in English, Russian or Ukrainian...

OP:

Best to take answers from those who are familiar with Kyiv.

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

My fieance is in Mykolayiv, Ukraine, and since we will be dealing with the embassy in Kiev, the Embassy web site states that all documents that they accept can be in Ukrainian, Russian and English. In other words, my fience does not need any translated documents for the purpose of taking medical exams, going to the interview, receiving a VISA and then entering the States. Correct? I can see the customs in the States, wanting to see some English documents, but that's about it. Everything else can be translated here in the States.

Please clarify this for me: in Ukraine, what does the fience/e need in terms of translated documents in order to perform all necessary embassy, medical and travel arrangements? I wanted for my fience to translate all of their official documents, passports, medical records, university diplomas, etc., into English. Is this the correct route?

My fience went to a notary service in Ukraine today and wanted to have her passport and birth certificate translated, but they told her that they need to be OK'd through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kiev. That's a train ride to Kiev for more fees and an official OK ... do I have this right?

Please clarify the process for me, if someone has done this and knows what the route is. I will call the US Embassy in Kiev tomorrow and ask them personally, what they will need.

Thank you very much!

Customs will not need any translated documents. Passport control will not need any translated documents.

Have you looked at her international passport? It already has English transliteration.

Tell your fiancee to go to a different translation bureau, her BC does not need special permission to be translated (different than notarized). She does not need this for Kyiv but maybe helpful to have some of these important documents translated for other purposes after her arrival in the US.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hello,

Thank you very much!

Nope, you don't need anything translated for your K-1 interview. As the embassy site says, if it's in English, Russian or Ukrainian it's fine. The Embassy sites I have looked at (Won't say every as i haven't visited every embassy site in regards to K-1s), all documents in the native language or english are accepted, no translation needed. Translation is only needed if the document is not in English or the native language.

Though if you want to think ahead to AOS, you will need the Birth Certificate translated for USCIS.

Edited by Blob18

Timeline

Just as I suspected, thank you. I just wanted a first-hand experience verification from someone who has done this.

Thank you all for your information and timely responses!

Nope, you don't need anything translated for your K-1 interview. As the embassy site says, if it's in English, Russian or Ukrainian it's fine. The Embassy sites I have looked at (Won't say every as i haven't visited every embassy site in regards to K-1s), all documents in the native language or english are accepted, no translation needed. Translation is only needed if the document is not in English or the native language.

Though if you want to think ahead to AOS, you will need the Birth Certificate translated for USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.