Kim.D

Problems with getting a Social Security Number

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a little advice on a problem I am having getting my SSN.

I entered the US on a K1(May 10th), got married 3 weeks later and a week later I went into the SS office to apply for my SSN. They said that they had to send a reminder to Immigration as they haven't done what they needed to do on their system. I received a call today from the SS office (about 3 weeks after I applied for an SSN), and they told me they received a reply from immigration stating that because I was now married I am no longer on a K1 visa and I can't apply for my SSN until I change my status and receive my Green Card.

This is completely different from what I thought and what I have read....unless I have gotten everything totally wrong.

Any advice on what to do would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I am in the same exact situation now..came to US months ago got married 3 weeks later and want to apply ssn and they reject me because i am married already (k1 visa no longer valid) so what we do now we are gathering all documents for adjusting my status and apply employment permit.. we fill them in same time so we dont need to pay extra for ead.. hopefully within 2 months-6months we got my greencard then later on we wil apply for SSN..

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a little advice on a problem I am having getting my SSN.

I entered the US on a K1(May 10th), got married 3 weeks later and a week later I went into the SS office to apply for my SSN. They said that they had to send a reminder to Immigration as they haven't done what they needed to do on their system. I received a call today from the SS office (about 3 weeks after I applied for an SSN), and they told me they received a reply from immigration stating that because I was now married I am no longer on a K1 visa and I can't apply for my SSN until I change my status and receive my Green Card.

This is completely different from what I thought and what I have read....unless I have gotten everything totally wrong.

Any advice on what to do would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You have to wait till you get your greencard to get an SSN..I done that also before.the same as your situation...I've been here for 9 month ready.and we apply for AOS on January .and we just got approved last Monday...

Kim.D, you can get a social security number even if you are married. Please see the attached link to another visa journey topic. I suggest printing it and bringing it back to your social security office. I have seen other people post the same and I plan on printing that and bringing it with when I go with Pui to get her social security number but I think we will not be married at that point. Good luck.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/296376-eligibility-to-be-assigned-a-social-security-number/

Edit: You visa must still be valid and you must have 14 or 7 days still left on your I-94 for you to get a social security number. Hopefully someone can verify which it is 14 or 7 days.

Edited by Andy and Pui

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

To all - follow the link in post #7 - yer getting face time with brain dead SSA employees, and it shows.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

The more I read about this whole process, the more screwed up it is. My fiancee/husband (when he is) can't get on my bank account until he has a SS# and a utility bill; can't get a utility bill without a permanent address; can't get a permanent address without a utility bill; can't get a driver's license without a one-year visa (Hmm K-1?), utility bill, and a SS#; can't work for 4-6 months....

It almost begs people to do it illegally! I applaud this forum and all of us for doing it the right way.

Did anyone really ever think this through? I am sure that when we are done in a year, it will seem like a laugh, but now it is laughable!

Filed: Other Timeline

The more I read about this whole process, the more screwed up it is. My fiancee/husband (when he is) can't get on my bank account until he has a SS# and a utility bill; can't get a utility bill without a permanent address; can't get a permanent address without a utility bill; can't get a driver's license without a one-year visa (Hmm K-1?), utility bill, and a SS#; can't work for 4-6 months....

It almost begs people to do it illegally! I applaud this forum and all of us for doing it the right way.

Did anyone really ever think this through? I am sure that when we are done in a year, it will seem like a laugh, but now it is laughable!

I cannot tell you how many times I have stated this, but you don't need a SSN to open a bank account. I have opened at least 10 bank accounts for people from overseas who came here on a B1/B2 and I've never had a problem with it. You can be a Saudi oil sheik, living on your yacht in the harbor of Monaco, and transferring millions of dollars from your account in Paris, London, Lichtenstein and New York back and forth. You never needed to even visit the US once, and you sure as hell don't need a SSN. Banking has to do with money and business, not with immigration.

The same way immigrants deal with brain dead SSA employees, you guys deal with brain dead bank employees. You really need to do your homework and be prepared before walking into the door of an institution and being bullsh*tted.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

I agree, this is completely out of control. I find it so crazy that after you pay these outragous charges they still mess you around like this. Un real.

Timeline

I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their advice and experience. I followed the link that Andy and Pui posted and I too sent an email to Social Security. I got a response today, which I tried to paste on here, however, my email wouldn't let me copy it. Basically it clearly states that getting married doesn't change anything and we should have no problems getting an SSN. Basically you just have to make sure you have a certain amount of validity on your I-94 (as a fellow VJ'er has already mentioned. They asked me to send my telephone number and a time for them to call me so they can talk to me further. I guess it will be back down to the local SS office next week to try again.

Once again thank you for all of your help.

I cannot tell you how many times I have stated this, but you don't need a SSN to open a bank account. I have opened at least 10 bank accounts for people from overseas who came here on a B1/B2 and I've never had a problem with it. You can be a Saudi oil sheik, living on your yacht in the harbor of Monaco, and transferring millions of dollars from your account in Paris, London, Lichtenstein and New York back and forth. You never needed to even visit the US once, and you sure as hell don't need a SSN. Banking has to do with money and business, not with immigration.

The same way immigrants deal with brain dead SSA employees, you guys deal with brain dead bank employees. You really need to do your homework and be prepared before walking into the door of an institution and being bullsh*tted.

:thumbs:

This is especially true if you have had a relative die and have had to deal with getting their assets transfered per their will and trust agreement. It amazes how much bulls*&t and wrong things these people tell you. I swear they are reading from a script and never heard me mention the trust as the first thing out of their mouth when they hear death is probate. SIGH!!

Long story short is most employees are not trained and they do not want to look stupid so they say what ever they want and unless you know better you will go along with it. The SSN at a bank is for TAX purposes only. If the account does not earn interest there is no LEGAL requirement for the SSN. They just ask for it because it is a blank on the form without knowing the LEGAL reasons as to why they need it or why the customer can refuse to give it to them.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.