Frank_kay

Secondary Questioning at Customs

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi,

I arrived in the US a few days ago and was questioned for a while at customs then my passport was taken and i was sent to "secondary questioning" which was very scary! I was let in after answering the questions honestly and showing some paper work.

Has anyone else had any experience with secondary questioning and will the fact I was sent to secondary questioning make it harder for me to visit again (eg: is it on my record that i was sent there?)

Thanks for any help

Frankie

6kHOm4.png

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Sure it will be on the record. Whether that has an impact on later visits is questionable. What is your situation? do you have a pending K-1 or CR-1 visa? What did they ask in secondary questioning? Have you been to the US before and what kind of visa did you enter this time? All of these are relevent to understanding what happened and what the future impact will be.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I have not experienced it but I read a lot that people that have K1 or CR1 pending and come to US on visa waiver or any other visa for visiting routinely undergo secondary questioning. This is normal from what I read. I am not sure about the record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I arrived in the US a few days ago and was questioned for a while at customs then my passport was taken and i was sent to "secondary questioning" which was very scary! I was let in after answering the questions honestly and showing some paper work.

Has anyone else had any experience with secondary questioning and will the fact I was sent to secondary questioning make it harder for me to visit again (eg: is it on my record that i was sent there?)

Thanks for any help

Frankie

I don't know if it's on your record, but I have travelled to the US maybe nearly 100 times in my life and have been sent to "secondary questioning" three times (once when I was on my US work visa, and twice when I was just visiting). I didn't have any problems entering the US after those instances, which were years apart. Hope this helps to ease your mind! :)

Naturalization Journey

02-08-2016: N-400 sent

03-08-2016: Biometrics appointment

03-11-2016: Notification "in-line for interview"

04-04-2016: Received interview letter (for May 11)

05-11-2016: Interview (passed!)

06-27-2016: Oath ceremony-->I'm a US citizen!

ROC Journey

06-16-2014: I-751 application package sent to VSC

06-20-2014: Date of NOA1

07-18-2014: Biometrics appointment

11-18-2014: Case transferred to CSC

02-24-2015: ROC approved!!

AOS Journey
02-06-2012: I-485 (plus I-765 and I-131) sent
02-14-2012: Requested an expedite of my EAD due to job offer
02-29-2012: Contacted congressman to help with EAD expedite request
03-02-2012: EAD + AP approved! (Day 25)
09-27-2012: Green card received! (no interview!)

K-1 Visa Journey
05-18-2011: NOA1
11-21-2011: NOA2 *only* 187 days from NOA1!
01-05-2012: Interview at consulate in Vancouver, Canada - visa approved!!!!
01-18-2012: Wedding!!! Yay! We are married!!!

Timeline

I don't know if it's on your record, but I have travelled to the US maybe nearly 100 times in my life and have been sent to "secondary questioning" three times (once when I was on my US work visa, and twice when I was just visiting). I didn't have any problems entering the US after those instances, which were years apart. Hope this helps to ease your mind! :)

I traveled to Canada on business 2 years ago once a month for 1 year. I was pulled for 2ndary questioning twice...

Timeline

Thanks for your responses.

I entered on the VWP and last time I was in the states was just under 3 months departing in march 2011 so that could be a possible reason.

The first guy asked me heaps of questions like why didn't I stay longer in the U.S the first time, (I said cause you can't on visa waiver) what I did for work and if I had any business cards on me (i said no) he did not ask if I had family in the US then sent me to secondary.

The second guy asked if I had relatives in the U.S and I told him my husband who is a LPR, he asked if he had filed for me and I told him yes. then a bunch of other questions and i showed my ticket to Canada (as I am going there on the working holiday program) then he gave me back my passport and let me in, which was a relief! the next time I return will not be till December for the holidays as my husband will just visit me in Canada. SO fingers crossed that I'm ok!

6kHOm4.png

Timeline

I entered on the VWP and last time I was in the states was just under 3 months departing in march 2011 so that could be a possible reason.

The first guy asked me heaps of questions like why didn't I stay longer in the U.S the first time, (I said cause you can't on visa waiver) what I did for work and if I had any business cards on me (i said no) he did not ask if I had family in the US then sent me to secondary.

The second guy asked if I had relatives in the U.S and I told him my husband who is a LPR, he asked if he had filed for me and I told him yes. then a bunch of other questions and i showed my ticket to Canada (as I am going there on the working holiday program) then he gave me back my passport and let me in, which was a relief! the next time I return will not be till December for the holidays as my husband will just visit me in Canada. SO fingers crossed that I'm ok!

If you filed for CR1 you will undergo 2ndary questioning every time you enter US no matter what.. automatic..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There you go – that answers why you were sent to secondary inspection.

1. I am sure the first officer asked you the purpose of your visit, since that their canned first question. - I am assuming you answered business.

2. Second thing he asked for the business card. – To which you replied no ting ding…. RED FLAG.

(most ppl traveling for business would carry the business card, you did not have one)

3. Third at same time he saw there is an immigrant application for you in the system ting ding… another RED FLAG.

(you have a husband who is LPR and has filed immigration paper work for you, since everyone is aware spouse of a LPR has to wait lot longer outside the country before they can enter US – they could assume it was your attempt to circumvent the process and get in the country.)

I believe the only thing that saved you was your flight ticket continuing to Canada and in secondary interview officer concluded you were traveling for business and he let you enter.

If you filed for CR1 you will undergo 2ndary questioning every time you enter US no matter what.. automatic..

Secondary questioning is not automatic, just because you have a pending IR-1/CR-1.

I have 3 friends who have IR-1/CR-1 pending and have entered the US to visit in the last two months...NONE of them were pulled into secondary questioning. They all told the CBP officer at POE that they were there to visit their spouse.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen...I'm just saying it doesn't happen automatically.

USCIS

30 Nov 2010 - Sent I-130 to Chicago

1 Dec 2010 - I-130 received at Chicago

18 Apr 2011 - APPROVED!! NOA2 text and email

NVC

29 Apr 2011 - Case entered into the system/Case number assigned; Medical Exam in Sydney

30 Apr 2011 - Police Check Application sent

2 May 2011 - Called NVC and got Invoice ID number

3 May 2011 - Sent DS-3032 email

4 May 2011 - Received email reply from NVC for DS-3032; Received Medical Exam results

5 May 2011 - AOS invoiced and paid

7 May 2011 - AOS package sent; IV invoiced and paid

9 May 2011 - AOS package delivered to NVC according to tracking

20 May 2011 - RFE for missing IV package....still waiting on Police Certificate!

24 May 2011 - Received Police Certificate after 25 days (so much for 7-10!); IV package sent

27 May 2011 - IV package delivered according to tracking

8 Jun 2011 - RFE for original marriage certificate; requested supervisor review since we KNOW it was in the package!

30 Jun 2011 - SIF and CC - FINALLY!!!!

13 Jul 2011 - Interview date assigned! Scheduled for August 9th @ 10am

9 Aug 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Aug 2011 - Visa in hand

24 Aug 2011 - POE @ LAX

Timeline

Yeah well seeing as he's an LPR and it's a wait of a while guess I might get pulled in a few more times!

You most likely will. Just take it as normal. They just want to make sure that you will not stay until approval.

Timeline

You most likely will. Just take it as normal. They just want to make sure that you will not stay until approval.

I will. That room is nerve wracking when you think you might be denied entry fingers crossed they keep letting me through!

6kHOm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I travelled MANY times to see my husband during the CR1 process, I always tell the officer that I am visiting my husband and we have the CR1 process going and I have NEVER been pulled into secondary. SO its not automatic. I'm sure that he could see on his screen that I dont stay for 89days out of the 90 allowed and then return a week later. I visit at a reasonable frequency and I dont think I've stayed longer than 3 weeks at any one time.

N400

Filing based on 3yrs/USC Spouse. 3 year residency anniversary is in August 2014. Filed immediately after the 90-day early filing mark (May 2014)

05/06/2014 - Mailed N-400

05/15/2014 - Check cashed

05/12/2014 - NOA Date

06/11/2014 - Biometrics Appointment

09/15/2014 - Inline for interview scheduling (was stuck in "Initial Review" for over 3 months!)

10/27/2014 - Scheduled for interview

12/01/2014 - Interview

12/19/2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.