CarolineM

Your in-laws...or soon to be in-laws...

The in-laws...  

95 members have voted

1. 1. When did you (will you) meet your in laws?

• Before the wedding
    • After the wedding
    • At the wedding
    • Haven't ever met...and won't
  2. 2. If you met them before the wedding...how long before (Or if you WILL meet them before...)

• one day before
    • one week before
    • one month before
    • several months before
    • one year before
    • many years before
    • Never met them, or met them after the wedding
  3. 3. When you met them....did you get along?

• Like a house on fire...yes!!
    • Not even close...they hated me, I hated them...
    • eh....they do their thing, we do ours...
    • Haven't met them

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I met my in-laws about a year after we got married when I moved to the US... They wanted to all meet me at the airport but I told my hubby no :no: ... so we met for lunch the next day....

I get along great with my in-laws :thumbs: We go see them about once a weekend....

I think my mother-in-law likes me more then she likes her son... :lol: She calls me "her Marilyn" sometimes...

My hubby met my parents about 3 weeks after we first met in person.... They got along great too and they really like him... my mom says he fits right into our family :thumbs:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My future Mom-in-law used to be my Landlady, I lodged at her house when i was university in California - we had a blast together - going shopping, watching movies, making breakfast.

It was 2 years later that she introduced me to her daughter - and, well, the rest is history! lol. :D

So, not only was this great Lady a friend to me, she also gave birth to the love of my life - in addition to this she is giving us a place to stay when we first get married - and she is our co-sponsor!!

My Mom In Law *ROCKS* !! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Oh yeah my parents met HIM 5 years ago - and saw him once a year, every year when he came to visit me :)

They didn't like him at first...but they've since come around

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

My inlaws are cool....very laid back :) Having already having had the absolute worst mil on the planet (and quite possibly the worst person I've ever met bar none besides her daughter, no lie), I was very skeptical about meeting D's mother. She is a very cool woman and we hit it off...but she's not too much to where everytime I turn around there she is.

So a perfect balance imo :)

Oh, and I met them all like hrmm...5 years ago or so....

I wish I could pick multiple options: I met G's mum and stepdad nearly a year before the wedding (and they've visited once since and are visiting again later this month), but we've now been married over two years and I still haven't met his dad, stepmum, sister, or stepsister.

I get along okay with his mum and stepdad I guess, I don't like the way his mum treats him but we can all act like grown-ups.

G. first met my mom and sister over a year before the wedding and they get on like a house on fire. He met my dad a couple months before the wedding and no one really knows what my dad thinks of him, so who knows?

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

I met all of Dave's family on my first visit over here, then he met all mine when he came to the UK. We all get on great (his mother calls me instead of him now!)

When my parents met him, they didn't say if they liked him or not and it was worrying me. The day we left their house my mum gave me the biggest hug and whispered in my ear "we absolutely love him, he's perfect". I was so relieved!!

At our wedding his dad gave me a huge hug and welcomed me to the family, which meant alot.

Happy families all around :)

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Met my in-laws in person almost 2 years after we were married due to the lengthy immigration process, but actually I emailed and chatted with his mom about 3 months after we met online. We also talked on the phone several times before we met in person. Our relationships are just so-so, I rarely see them since we live in different towns and we're just a bit distant.

Me- Indonesia & hubby - US

married in Vancouver, Canada

USCIS-free for 10 years !

Met my in-laws on my second trip to the US in 2003. It was at a family reunion and Hubby has 11 brothers & sisters who are all married with kids and grandkids....there were so many there it was quite a party! I am an only child and so was my Ex so I had never had a BIL or SIL and now I have 11 of each and so many nieces and nephews I can't count 'em! We get on really well, they are a wonderful family and I love being a part of it :yes:

Jen

Edited by ladybird216

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I don't have In-Laws :cry:

AOS

01-29-07 - marriage

02-07-07 - AOS package mailed to Chicago

02-09-07 - AOS package delivered

02-13-07 - NOA1 date

02-21-07 - Biometrics letter

02-24-07 - NOA1 received

03-01-07 - Biometrics taken

03-15-07 - Transferred to The Sucky/Slow Center (TSC)... to "speed up" processing.

03-17-07 - Transferred notice e-mail

03-20-07 - Received TSC transfer letter

03-21-07 - application pending at TSC e-mail.

05-14-07 - Misinfopass appt. COMPLETE WASTE OF TIME.

06-05-07 - I-131 e-filed

06-11-07 - AP NOA1

07-09-07 - Received weird looking letter for AP, but online status hasn't changed

Last Touch - AOS 3/24, AP 7/03

aW1hZ2UucGhwPzQ2JkkrY291bGQraGF2ZStnb3R0ZW4rYStEZWxsJjAwMDAwMCYwMDAwMDAmMTImMTAmYyYwJjcmMiYyMDA3JjcmMCY0Mzc4NDcwMDExODEyMjE5ODguJw==.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

ah well, cant say the same for my case,....my dad likes my wife, but her parents liked me ........up until last saturday to be precise! lol

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Other Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Well, my fiancee' gets along fine with my parents, and they quite like him. Of course, they also said 'anyone is better than your ex-boyfriend', to which I wholeheartedly agree.

The problem I face on his side of the family is that I came into the picture shortly after he broke up with an ex-girlfriend. His mother happened to like this ex-girlfriend, although she had no clue how abusive she was to her son. If she knew, maybe she'd change her mind. In either case... his family members, at least extended, have noticed how much happier he is, and that he actually smiles when he talks about me. That's something he never did with his ex-gf. His father seems to like me, and even his sister who hates all things foreign liked me. His mother... she's the problem.

His mother doesn't like that he's dating an older woman, who is overweight, and lives in the United States. She hates that he stays up late with me to talk on the phone, and thinks I'm a bad influence on his schooling. ... ... .. . Oh just wait until she hears that he's going to be moving here to marry me. I bet you'll hear the yelling all the way across the pond. :unsure:

Our K-1 Visa/AOS/RoC timeline can be found here.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I actually met my husbands parents before i met him! They lived in the UK for 2 years and his parents, his brother and sister were regulars at the restaurant that I worked in at the time. I never even knew that he existed although i knew his family. In fact I even met his grandma and grandpa before I met my husband as they came over to visit and came to eat at the restaurant. It was about 8 months later that my now husband and I were introduced my a mutual friend and I realised that he was a member of the family that I always served. The reason I never met him was because they used to come to have lunch after going to church on a sunday and he never went as he had always gone out on saturday night and couldn't be bothered to get up early enough to go out and eat!! We've been together 5 years now and I get on with the In-Laws really well.

I met Bogdan's parents for the first time in 2005. We intend to marry 2007. I get along very well with them and have been made to feel like part of the family. :luv:

This is Mom and me in the garden in Romania. You can even see the back of Dad's head. :)

post-9188-1158149452_thumb.jpg

Edited by stlinares

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The first day I flew into Davao City I treated about 25 members of Jenny's family to dinner at Jack's Ridge. (Total cost $51). I had read that the culture in the Philippines is really family oriented. Her family is real nice and I always look forward to seeing them when I go to the Philippines.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I can't wait to meet Charle's father. His mother unfortunately passed away 10 days after we started being together, so I didn't nor will have the opportunity to meet her :(

Charles met my mom, but they couldn't really communicate since she doesn't speak english :P

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline