12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Ladies and Gents,

I am a first time user of this forum so please accept my apologies if I am asking questions that you have answered a thousand times already.

I just need a couple of things answering mainly about after I move to the USA. I have my interview with the US Embassy in London on Tuesday 12th July. So far everything has gone pretty smoothly and I have jumped through all the relevant hoops that have been asked of me. At the interview, do they even ask for continued evidence that you are still in the relationship? I have the bill for the ring to prove I have bought it and we are engaged, I am also going to supply my mobile phones bills to prove we talk to each other, and e mails as we talk everyday. Will this be enough or do I need to supply more?.

I am looking at moving around mid September and wondered what passport I will use while I am out there. I really want dual citizenship where as you have 2 passports, an American and English. But from what I have read this will not happen. My English passport does not run out until 2016 so once I have obtained my social Security Number, completed my AOS and obtained my EAD and finally the Green card, do I need to apply for an American passport or is my English one good enough to travel on for the years it is valid? Once my English passport expires do I get an new English one or do you apply for an American one? If someone could explain that would be of great help.

I also don't know if I can drive on my English driving license once I am there. I am moving to Wisconsin and don't know if I can insure a car using my English license. I assume I will be able to drive my Fiancée's car under her insurance with my English license. But will I need to apply for an American license to insure and own a car. Or will I under law, have to apply for an American driving license anyway because I have moved over.

Again, sorry if you have answered these questions before. But I have searched for the web and am sure unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

You will use your British passport as it will have the visa in it. Eventually you will get your green card, but will still maintain your British passport. Later down the road (I think 5 years) you can apply for citizenship. After you obtain that I BELIEVE you will have dual citizenship? Maybe not.

As far as your drivers license...I think that the one you have now is good for a year, then you must get a learners permit then take the driving test to get a Wisconsin drivers license.

:star:

K1 PROCESS:

11/1/10: NOA1 Received

4/14/11: NOA2 - Approved!!!!

8/18/11: Visa in hand

8/29/11: POE in ATLANTA!!!!

9/16/11: Married!!!

AOS PROCESS:

10/4/11: Social Security Card Arrived!

11/10/11: AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

11/19/11: NOA1

12/2/11: Biometrics

12/10/11: Case transferred to the California Service Center

03/06/12: EAD approved and card production!

03/14/12: EAD card in hand!

08/04/12: Green card in production!

08/09/12: Green card in hand!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Welcome!

Your evidence sounds fine, make sure you have an updated letter of intent.

Getting dual citizenship is not a problem, but it is some ways down the road. After you enter on the K1 you will get married, then apply for Adjustment of Status (AOS), then two years later for Removal of Conditions (ROC), and a year after that you can apply for naturalisation, and once you have US citizenship, hold two passports. Until you are a US citizen, you will need your British passport to travel (and your greencard to get back into the USA). It may be easier to renew the British passport so you can use it to enter the UK, but that will depend on UK laws.

Drivers License laws are different in each state. Usually, you can drive on your foreign license for a short time- 30 or 90 days- before you have to have a US license. You will need a US license to have a car in your own name.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The dual citizenship is a sticky area with the USA.

It works like this.

If you are born somewhere else ie: UK you have citizenship there and can carry a passport. You ARE a UK subject and entitled to this passport.

Now you want to ( in the future ) become an American citizen aswell. You meet all the requirements and pass the test ... Yeah ! Ok, so now you are an Amercian citizen and are entitled to the passport.

Heres were the USA law comes under effect.

You are living in the USA, and a citizen. The USA does not reconise any other citizenship because you are Amercian, however the USA doesnt have any rights to say what other countries do in regard to you citizenship elsewhere. But the UK does allow duo and will reconise the USA one - therefore allowing you duo.

Hence, if you are a USC, the US government only reconises you as one but cannot make you give up citizenship elsewhere if the elsewhere allows due. Now, if you talk to a US official, they will tell you that you may not have duo, and in their eyes, they are correct, but they still dont have the right over the other country allowing the duo.

I hope I didnt repeat myself to much there, and I hope you got the idea. Its really just the mindset of the US government vs. other governments. And no one government can tell another or its citizens what they can or cannot do.

As for your DL, I believe you are good for 90 days with no issues, but after that I would check into the local DMV for their specific laws and regulations.

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Ladies and Gents,

I am a first time user of this forum so please accept my apologies if I am asking questions that you have answered a thousand times already.

I just need a couple of things answering mainly about after I move to the USA. I have my interview with the US Embassy in London on Tuesday 12th July. So far everything has gone pretty smoothly and I have jumped through all the relevant hoops that have been asked of me. At the interview, do they even ask for continued evidence that you are still in the relationship? I have the bill for the ring to prove I have bought it and we are engaged, I am also going to supply my mobile phones bills to prove we talk to each other, and e mails as we talk everyday. Will this be enough or do I need to supply more?.

I am looking at moving around mid September and wondered what passport I will use while I am out there. I really want dual citizenship where as you have 2 passports, an American and English. But from what I have read this will not happen. My English passport does not run out until 2016 so once I have obtained my social Security Number, completed my AOS and obtained my EAD and finally the Green card, do I need to apply for an American passport or is my English one good enough to travel on for the years it is valid? Once my English passport expires do I get an new English one or do you apply for an American one? If someone could explain that would be of great help.

I also don't know if I can drive on my English driving license once I am there. I am moving to Wisconsin and don't know if I can insure a car using my English license. I assume I will be able to drive my Fiancée's car under her insurance with my English license. But will I need to apply for an American license to insure and own a car. Or will I under law, have to apply for an American driving license anyway because I have moved over.

Again, sorry if you have answered these questions before. But I have searched for the web and am sure unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt.

I'm happy you asked these questions!! My husband and I were asking each other these same questions.I also have a different question.Since we are now married do I need to change my new married name in my passport if I want to visit my husband in England while we are waiting on noa2?Will there be any problems and do I need to supply evidence that we are in CR1 visa process when I come into UK?Crazy questions I know but I've heard of wives being denied entry in the UK for visiting their British husbands because they think they are going to stay and not go back to their own country lol....Thank you Amy and Colin

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-12-03

I-130 Sent : 2011-03-09

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-03-11

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2011-06-20

NVC Received : 2011-07-26

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2011-07-27

Pay I-864 Bill 2011-07-28

Receive I-864 Package : 2011-07-28

Return Completed I-864 : 2011-07-28

Return Completed DS-3032 :

Receive IV Bill : 2011-07-28

Pay IV Bill : 2011-07-28

Receive Instruction Package :

Case Completed at NVC : 2011-08-16

NVC Left : 2011-08-17

Consulate Received : 2011-08-19

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received : 2011-08-29

Interview Date : 2011-10-17 Submit Review

Interview Result :

Second Interview

(If Required):

Second Interview Result:

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Comments :

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 101 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 220 days from your I-130 NOA1 date.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thank you guys your answers are most helpful.

Penguin_ie - With the letter of intent, what do you mean by updating it. We submitted a Letter of Intent with our I129F, do you mean we need to now state an intent to marry and put in moving dates to the US and dates of when we are looking at getting married once the move has been made? Will I also need to take this letter with me to my interview?

BlueBonnet - Thanks for confusing me even me lol! I think I get the jist of what you are trying to say. So years down the line when I have met all the criteria to get my American passport I will be in the prize possession of both passports. Is there a way then once my English passport does expire in 2016 to go to the English Embassy in America to get it renewed, or will I have to come back to the UK and get it done here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Yep, basically just a letter saying you still want to get married, and if you have made any plans, you can put that in there too.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

BlueBonnet - Thanks for confusing me even me lol! I think I get the jist of what you are trying to say. So years down the line when I have met all the criteria to get my American passport I will be in the prize possession of both passports. Is there a way then once my English passport does expire in 2016 to go to the English Embassy in America to get it renewed, or will I have to come back to the UK and get it done here?

Youre very welcome !

Have you not learned that everything about governments are confusing ! :blush:

I too am a UK subject. The consulate we use is located in Washington DC. Heres the information

3100 Massachusetts Avenue Northwest

Washington D.C., DC 20008

(202) 588-6500

Heres all the information you will need in the future

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

~~~ Hes the chance Im taking ~~~

April 2007 - Met online

Oct. 2008 - He came to Canada to meet me

Dec 25 2009 officially engaged

March 2010 - sent off I-129F

March 27 2010 - Vermont receives package :)

April 3 2010 - Informed through mail that cheque is cashed NOA1

May 28 2010 - RFE notification ( yeah Im online checking alot >.< )

June 5 2010 - RFE hardcopy received

June 18 2010 - RFE returned ( had done it June 7 - but USPS returned grrrr )

--- case says we should hear from them in 60 days from June 18 ---

June 23 - Touched

Aug4 - Email notification of NoA2 :)

Aug. 10 - NOA2 Hardcopy received

Sept. 13 - Faxed off Package 3

Sept 14 - Interview notification set for Oct. 5

Oct. 5 2010 Interview Passed

March 17 2011 POE Canadian/US border

April 1 2011 Marriage

Mailed AOS June 1

Chicago Lockbox confirms delivery June 3

Check cashed through bank - notification June 9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

BlueBonnet gave you a pretty good overview of the dual citizenship situation. The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. Once you become a US citizen then the US government will recognize you only as a US citizen. Whether any other country will also consider you to be a citizen depends on the laws of the other country.

The US oath of citizenship contains a statement where you abandon any allegiance to any foreign government. Some countries consider this oath to be an abandonment of your citizenship, and will no longer consider you a citizen of that country after you become a US citizen. The US is, in fact, one of those countries - if a US citizen takes a similar oath in another country then the US would no longer consider them a US citizen. The United Kingdom is not one of those countries - the oath of allegiance and citizenship pledge don't contain an abandonment clause, so a US citizen could become a British citizen without the US considering them to have abandoned their US citizenship. Likewise, the UK doesn't consider one of it's citizens to have abandoned their British citizenship if they take the US oath of citizenship. So, it's possible for a US citizens to become a dual US/UK citizen, and also possible for a UK citizen to become a dual UK/US citizen. The bottom line is that the US government would consider both to be only US citizens.

The fact that the US government considers you only to be a US citizen may have some effect on you. You'll be subject to US laws even when you're outside the US. You'll be required to file a US tax return. You may be conscripted into military service, and you could be charged with draft evasion if you leave the US to avoid conscription. If you get into legal trouble in the US then the US government may not provide you with access to the consulate of your home country. In other words, the fact that another government also recognizes you as a citizen will not afford you any special consideration by the US government.

On the upside, you'll be able to vote in US elections. You'll be able to leave the US for as long as you like and return whenever you like without risking your residency status. You'll be able to petition family members for immigration to the US, and some of those (spouses, children, and parents) are not subject to quotas so they'll be able to immigrate relatively quickly. You'll be able to run for public office (with a few exceptions, like the Presidency). You'll have access to US consulates when you're traveling abroad.

You'll learn about all of this stuff when you study for the US citizenship test. You'll be eligible for US citizenship three years after you get your green card if you're still married to a US citizen. If you're no longer married to a US citizen then you'll be eligible for US citizenship five years after you get your green card.

Only US citizens can be issued a US passport.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Fill out your VJ timeline. It helps us answer questions better.

I have my interview with the US Embassy in London on Tuesday 12th July. So far everything has gone pretty smoothly and I have jumped through all the relevant hoops that have been asked of me. At the interview, do they even ask for continued evidence that you are still in the relationship? I have the bill for the ring to prove I have bought it and we are engaged, I am also going to supply my mobile phones bills to prove we talk to each other, and e mails as we talk everyday. Will this be enough or do I need to supply more?.

For London you don't need a bit of that. They won't ask and if you offer it, they will politely tell you thanks, but no thanks. Nor do you need an updated letter of intent unless you dragged out your case...like didn't respond to their letter by mailing in your forms for months and months. (This is where I'd like to see your timeline.)

You got great explanations on that. You can apply for citizenship 3 years after you get the greencard. (a little more detailed but that's a general time frame)

WI will let you drive one year as a "visitor" but once you get residency (greencard) get a WI license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Ladies and Gents,

Thanks,

Matt.

Dual citizenship depends on what UK laws say about it. As far as the US is concerned, not a problem. On the driver license, you would need to check with the Wisconsin motor vehicle division or whoever does the driving licenses there. Several states have agreements with European countries as to swapping driving licenses. Not all states have the same agreements with the countries over there. For example, a Colorado license is valid in Germany and can be exchanged for the German one (and viceversa), Texas on the other side does not...Go figure... I just happen to know about this because I did it myself when I was living in Colorado, and found the hard way that is not the same with Texas.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.