NeedInfo3839

Income-- Will They Combine Mine With His?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My Egyptian fiancee (who works in Saudi Arabia) doesn't want to be separated from me during the whole marriage visa filing process. I told him that after the wedding, I would have to go home to the USA and work a job, and pay for an apartment, for the necessary minimum income requirement, and US established "domicile".

But HE wants to get me a visa for Saudi Arabia after the wedding, and have me live in his flat there with him, during the filing process.

Well... I remember reading somewhere that if the immigrant spouse lives with you, they will combine your incomes. And he all by himself earns enough in Saudi Arabia to meet the minimum income requirement. So, if my Dad (who owns property and a home outright) allows me to list the family home as my "domicile", do you think it would be ok for me to live in Saudi with my man while we file? Will they combine his income with me in that case?

Edited by Melissa N Khalid

Just thought this is interesting. Second paragraph on this page says you can use the income of other household members, and the intending immigrant, just so folks can see where I got this idea from:

http://immigration.lawyers.com/ask-a-lawyer/Affidavit-of-Support-And-Joint-Sponsor-Issues-7009.html

Edited by Melissa N Khalid

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

No, because your (and his) income from Saudi will not continue once you immigrate to the USA. As husband and wife you can combine income and assets, but these need to be US based or continue when you move, such as an intra-company transfer.

Can your father co-sponsor?

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I'm sorry, I don't know whether they will combine your income with his for this next step, I just wanted to post a different word of caution to you. Please think long and hard about this before you agree to go live in Saudi Arabia. I worked for several years as a single woman in the Middle East and it is not an easy thing. I see that your fiance is Egyptian but you have not yet met in person. Have you ever been to Egypt or the Middle East? There are cultural differences that you should know about. If you go live in Saudi Arabia you will NEVER be able to leave your apartment without your husband, anytime you go outside you will need to be fully covered in a burqua from head to toe, you will not be able to drive, and you will have a language barrier with all your neighbors (do you speak Arabic?), also you will not be able to easily leave the country without your husband's permission. Please look into all this as well before you agree to live with your husband in S.A. I do not say any of this to be mean, I really hope everything works out for you ahd Khalid and you both live happily ever after. But the government and laws of Saudi are very different than ours, I really encourage you to think about all that before you make your decision.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My Egyptian fiancee (who works in Saudi Arabia) doesn't want to be separated from me during the whole marriage visa filing process. I told him that after the wedding, I would have to go home to the USA and work a job, and pay for an apartment, for the necessary minimum income requirement, and US established "domicile".

But HE wants to get me a visa for Saudi Arabia after the wedding, and have me live in his flat there with him, during the filing process.

Well... I remember reading somewhere that if the immigrant spouse lives with you, they will combine your incomes. And he all by himself earns enough in Saudi Arabia to meet the minimum income requirement. So, if my Dad (who owns property and a home outright) allows me to list the family home as my "domicile", do you think it would be ok for me to live in Saudi with my man while we file? Will they combine his income with me in that case?

They only consider income that will continue from the same source after immigrating to the USA. If his checks will continue, you're OK. If they'll stop, then you need a qualified sponsor earning US income.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Assuming all goes well, will they then have to go to Egyptian Consulate for interview or can they have it in Saudi Arabia? A possible additional financial obligation plus Visa for her to go to Egypt??

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Assuming all goes well, will they then have to go to Egyptian Consulate for interview or can they have it in Saudi Arabia? A possible additional financial obligation plus Visa for her to go to Egypt??

If I begged my dad enough he MIGHT do it. Might. But honestly... I think it appears that I was right in the first place; I think I probably will have to stay in the USA and work during the filing process.

Hmmm..... If I travel to the middle east, I'm willing to wear whatever eastern women wear. In fact I think it might be good protection for me because it would make my western features far less obvious, or in the case of Saudi clothing-- totally invisible. So I wouldn't feel so much like people were judging me or acting prejudice. I don't really mind my husband going everywhere with me, because he speaks Arabic, so I would need him with me anyway because I actually do not speak it.

But not being able to travel without his permission? Didn't know that... If I stay here and work, I will still let him get me a visa for Saudi, so that I can visit him every so often throughout the filing process. But I don't think I will EVER be able to bring him here, unless I stay and work.

This morning, he told me (over the computer) "I don't care about visas and U.S. immigration. I just want you with me. I'll live wherever with you, as long as we are together. I can't spend all that time away from you."

And while that is very romantic, I really would prefer that he and I spend our future here in the USA... Even HE is constantly complaining about how boring Saudi Arabia is, and how there is very little social life, and he stays home a lot. I think he just wants me there because (yes he loves, me but also...) he is extremely LONELY and bored there! lol. But I guess I will just have to keep reminding him that "a wait right now, for a lifetime together" is well worth it.

Oohhhh, he is not gonna like it when I say that, hahahaha.

Why cant you meet in one of the neighboring countries and do a K1. You could meet in abu dhabi and you dont need a visa to go there and its easy to stay in a hotel there.. dubai as well and there are some affordable plane trips there. I have been to Abu Dhabi and its very nice and the hotels were not that bad. Its very western and you can wear normal clothing. He could easily get a visa there,, you could have alot of fun and then you could go home and do a k1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Why cant you meet in one of the neighboring countries and do a K1. You could meet in abu dhabi and you dont need a visa to go there and its easy to stay in a hotel there.. dubai as well and there are some affordable plane trips there. I have been to Abu Dhabi and its very nice and the hotels were not that bad. Its very western and you can wear normal clothing. He could easily get a visa there,, you could have alot of fun and then you could go home and do a k1

That's great advice Hanging in there. Just make sure you behave appropriately in public, but I'm sure your fiancé being Egyptian already knows that. Good luck with your situation.. :)

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

If I begged my dad enough he MIGHT do it. Might. But honestly... I think it appears that I was right in the first place; I think I probably will have to stay in the USA and work during the filing process.

Hmmm..... If I travel to the middle east, I'm willing to wear whatever eastern women wear. In fact I think it might be good protection for me because it would make my western features far less obvious, or in the case of Saudi clothing-- totally invisible. So I wouldn't feel so much like people were judging me or acting prejudice. I don't really mind my husband going everywhere with me, because he speaks Arabic, so I would need him with me anyway because I actually do not speak it.

But not being able to travel without his permission? Didn't know that... If I stay here and work, I will still let him get me a visa for Saudi, so that I can visit him every so often throughout the filing process. But I don't think I will EVER be able to bring him here, unless I stay and work.

This morning, he told me (over the computer) "I don't care about visas and U.S. immigration. I just want you with me. I'll live wherever with you, as long as we are together. I can't spend all that time away from you."

And while that is very romantic, I really would prefer that he and I spend our future here in the USA... Even HE is constantly complaining about how boring Saudi Arabia is, and how there is very little social life, and he stays home a lot. I think he just wants me there because (yes he loves, me but also...) he is extremely LONELY and bored there! lol. But I guess I will just have to keep reminding him that "a wait right now, for a lifetime together" is well worth it.

Oohhhh, he is not gonna like it when I say that, hahahaha.

It is very wise of you to consider all options and to gain advice about the cultural aspects as well. Maybe the process is slow by design to keep people from rushing into situations without having the "normal" time of discovery that most relationships have. Not that there is any statistics to show how great those work. :lol:

Maybe it is best you guys should meet in a neutral place for both of you. Then you can start the process once you return for the K1 visa. If you do decide to do that, make sure you keep the original boarding passes of your trip, hotel receipts of your stay, and take pictures of you two together. This will be the primary evidence (photos secondary) needed to submit with your I-129F application should you choose the K1 Visa route.

Best wishes and good luck...!

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, Does your man have a time ( like vacation) where he gets to to return home to Egypt? I know men who work in Saudi and they get to return to Egypt to visit for about 2 weeks, sometimes longer and then return to their jobs. Can he make arrangements to do that? Going to see him in Egypt would be much safer for you and the ppl there won't care if you don't have your hair covered. You can wear your jeans and feel fine there. BUT Saudi NO WAY! I'm sure you see the news about things that have happened there to women. An realize it's like stepping back in time many years compared to the US. I'm sure your man would try to take good care of you there but theres only so much he can do. I have been with my fiance 3 years, and yes its a long depressing wait but it helps with getting to know the person you will marry and in the end you can be together and have years of happiness. Read alot about this process and see which is best for you CR1 or K1, If you need a co sponsor you won't need one until the interview stage. Good Luck To You :)

event.png

event.png

Yeah the ladies are right, about the customs of S.A. . You say now you would be willing to do what it takes to be with him. But you have not been in these types of countries yet. You have not been in a country that the only person that can speak to you is fiance or husband. You get very lonely. And being fully covered does not stop men from flirting or being down right mean to you. As these actions are very common in these countries. Will you be able to live, where you do not have a lot of rights. And the fact is what if he is totaly different and you live there and decide you want to leave, you can only leave if he says you can. Ohhh and if you marry in Egypt they make it clear when you get married that you can only leave if your husband allows it. Maybe a K-1 visa would be best, there easier and if you get denied , you can start the visa process the a day after that NOA1 expires. See if you can find groups on FB or yahoo of american women that live in these countries and/or start looking into women laws of these types of countries.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Is there anyway you will be able to at least go and visit him either in Egypt or another neutral country over this summer? It would be a very good idea, also since you are not planning on marrying until summer of 2012 anyway...I agree with the others, why not try for the K1? I mean go if you can to meet him in person over this summer and then apply for it once you return to the States..you will be staying here working for the next year anyway. By doing this you could have your K1 by next summer then he could just come here for you two to marry and then apply for adjustment of status...it's more expensive route but seeing as how you have no plans to marry until then and will stay and work here during that time I don't see the harm in doing it...and if it's not approved well still no loss..you will just go to Egypt as planned next summer and marry there then start the immigration process.

Was just wondering as well, would he consider taking a comparable position in Egypt for this next year or the one following? It would just be much easier for you to visit and live with him if that is the route you take. Egypt is very accepting of us as others have pointed out and you wouldn't have as difficult a time there other than the language barrier and things being a little less convienent than we are used to here.

Whatever you two decide is best for you, I strongly advise you to start out by working on a plan to go and visit him over this summer's break...you can still find some decent roundtrip airfares for July and August...I am on my way over to wait out the process on June 23 :dance: I will be happy to try and answer any questions you may have or tell you anything you might want to know or be curious about as far as traveling, marrying or living there. Best wishes to you!

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I agree.. I don't know much about SA, but the things I have heard and there are articles in the news about how women are treated there :wacko: I don't about the combining of income and being married there as I did K1.. I believe it is an easy route, at least for me.. please when you visit keep receipts and take plenty of pictures.. I'm happy for you, whatever you decide.. I'm quite sure everyone here is.. but please think about what was said about SA.. also the language barrier.. I felt soooooooooo alone and "foreign" when attempting to talk to my BIL and his family and that was in Egypt.. Egypt is more accepting, at least the last time I was there in 2007, on dress code.. however I could not wear shorts around my BIL, so says my husband.. I complied.. I remember one time while my then fiance and I were out we were walking near the square, somewhere :unsure: anyway some guy said something and habibi went off and my sister in law too.. I had a tank top and shorts on.. and the shorts weren't too short.. habibi told me that the man commented on how I was dressed and maybe said he wanted to get with me or something to that effect.. I'm telling you there was about to be a fight right there and people were gathering.. I was like what the heck just happened :wacko::crying::blink: .. there are some people that are still wanting you to dress "appropiately".. next time I will stick with my capris.. have fun where you go and be careful.. love you :thumbs:

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.