16 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone,

So my fiance entered the U.S. at the end of March and we get married this Friday here in California. Been really busy dealing with her family coming from England and mine coming from Ohio to be at the wedding and handt had enough time to work on the whole AOS process alot. I just want to make sure we dont get into any trouble and not get things submitted in time and that sort of thing. Could anyone please tell me how soon after your married you have to submit the AOS package? I know her visa expires 90 days after she enters the U.S. but does that mean you have to have the package sent out before that becuase we would have to wait on the hard copy of marriage license and that sort of thing. Furthermore, I think there were a few shots she couldnt get in the U.K. so she has to get them here to complete the I-695 form right? With that being said I am in the military and I cant get her set up for medical until we are married which takes time as well. Is there a website someplace with a list of doctors that do these shots for the AOS process or anything like that? I know this is alot but believe me your help is very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Chadd B.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just send it as soon as you can.

The main issue is to marry within the 90days. As long as that is done then you can send the AOS in relatively any time after that.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

There is no set time on when to file AOS. Plenty of people file after their I-94 expires. They will be 'out of status', so just try and file as soon as possible.

She will need to get whatever shots she is missing. You could have them done for free when she is set up with her ID and in the DEERS program, and then take her vaccination records(including the DS-3025, if she got one at her medical before coming here) and have them transcribed onto the I-693. If the medical was done within the last year, then you only need to have part 1, part 2-vaccinations sections, and part 5 (which is filled out and signed by the CS).

You can find civil surgeons here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

Make sure to read the I-693 instructions to know that a K-1 does not need a whole new medical, and call around until you find one that will just transcribe the vaccinations for you. A lot of them try and insist you need a new medical and charge you more than you need.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok all of this is good news, shoudl I apply for her SSN now then or just wait until we are married? What is ushually the best way of going about that? Also is there an AOS interview once all of this paperwork is complete and sent or is it just a simple good to go and you get a green card in the mail or something? Thanks again everyone.

Timeline

Ok all of this is good news, shoudl I apply for her SSN now then or just wait until we are married? What is ushually the best way of going about that? Also is there an AOS interview once all of this paperwork is complete and sent or is it just a simple good to go and you get a green card in the mail or something? Thanks again everyone.

50/50 chance of an interview. Most seem to not have interviews though.

You can get the SSN a couple of weeks after entry but we opted to get mine after our marriage so that we didn't have to mess around with getting the name on it changed after the marriage.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

You can apply before or after you get married but no later than 14 days before her I-94 expires.

Yes, there usually is an interview for AOS, they will let you know by mail when they schedule it for you. Some cases get randomly transferred to CSC though and get approved without an interview.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

50/50 chance of an interview. Most seem to not have interviews though.

You can get the SSN a couple of weeks after entry but we opted to get mine after our marriage so that we didn't have to mess around with getting the name on it changed after the marriage.

We get married on Friday, when you get married is it easier to obtain? What do you do then just take your marriage license or something like that there? And can I not apply for it now with my name as her last name or something?

Timeline

We get married on Friday, when you get married is it easier to obtain? What do you do then just take your marriage license or something like that there? And can I not apply for it now with my name as her last name or something?

You have to bring the marriage certificate and show them to get it in the married name.

Also have to bring your passport with valid I-94.

My husband brought some mail with his name on it to our address but they did not need it. They just used our marriage certificate and my passport/visa stamp/ I-94.

Took 4 weeks to get my SSN in the mail with married name on it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

People report different things...but the SS office told me they were not able to put it in my married name until I had my GC. It is easy to change the name after you have your GC. You use the I-94 to apply for your SSN.

We filed about a month after my I-94 expired (from K1) and we were approved very quickly without interview. I was a wee bit worried about being 'out of status'...but it did not cause us any problems. I would file it as soon as you can, but getting married within 90 days is more important than filing right away.

Good luck and congratulations for Friday!!

05-2010 I-129F application received by USCIS.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

07-2010 Packet 3 received.

08-2010 Packet 3 returned.

09-2010 Medical in London.

10-2010 Interview at US Embassy in London: Approved.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

11-2010 Married in Vermont.

03-2011 Notice of acceptance of AOS packet.

03-2011 Biometrics appointment in St Albans.

03-2010 Case transfered to California Service Centre.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Ok so you are saying that it does not matter if the I-94 is expired when you apply for the SSN because that may be the case being as we have to wait for the license to come back and what not? Or can we apply for it with the preliminary licence that doesnt have the seal and all of that on it that you get the day your married or do you have to wait until you get the offical copy?

Timeline

Ok so you are saying that it does not matter if the I-94 is expired when you apply for the SSN because that may be the case being as we have to wait for the license to come back and what not? Or can we apply for it with the preliminary licence that doesnt have the seal and all of that on it that you get the day your married or do you have to wait until you get the offical copy?

I don't think you can use an expired I-94 to apply for SSN. (some people may have issues with the use of the term expired...by expired I mean after 90 days)

You can use a valid I-94 right now to apply for it. I don't know what you use after that point. Perhaps someone else can answer that...

I applied for mine asap so that I was 'in the system' and then changing the name on it once I had GC was easy. (I had to take my marriage certificate also)

I would see if someone can answer you better here...then I would head down to the SS office and ask them.(you may have to speak to more than one person)

I also wanted everything in my new Married name right away...but I found that once I had my GC it was a lot easier. I just carried my passport in my Maiden name and my Marriage certificate and used my married name where I could :) Now I have my GC and don't rely on my passport for ID I can send that off to be changed...but dealing with applying for a UK passport from the embassy in Washington DC is a whole other fiasco :)

Good luck with everything! Apologies for going a little off topic.

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

I think Helen was talking about AOS when she said she filed about a month after her I-94 expired. You can't apply for SSN with expired I-94. If your I-94 expires then you will have to wait until GC (or EAD, I think they will accept it) in hand to apply for SSN.

If you want to apply for SSN in married name then you will have to bring marriage certificate. They will not accept marriage licence.

Edited by missicy

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello everyone,

So my fiance entered the U.S. at the end of March and we get married this Friday here in California. Been really busy dealing with her family coming from England and mine coming from Ohio to be at the wedding and handt had enough time to work on the whole AOS process alot. I just want to make sure we dont get into any trouble and not get things submitted in time and that sort of thing. Could anyone please tell me how soon after your married you have to submit the AOS package? I know her visa expires 90 days after she enters the U.S. but does that mean you have to have the package sent out before that becuase we would have to wait on the hard copy of marriage license and that sort of thing. Furthermore, I think there were a few shots she couldnt get in the U.K. so she has to get them here to complete the I-695 form right? With that being said I am in the military and I cant get her set up for medical until we are married which takes time as well. Is there a website someplace with a list of doctors that do these shots for the AOS process or anything like that? I know this is alot but believe me your help is very much appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Chadd B.

There is no deadline to file AOS however once her I-94 is expired she is out-of-status.

If she is missing shots she will need to get the missing shots and see a CS to have the shots transcribed in the I-693. She can go to her doctor for the shots, or the health department or whatever but she will still need to see the CS to have them transcribed over. You can wait till you're married to get her on medical if you like. As I said there's no deadline to file AOS so there's time :)

Someone above my responses posted the link to find a CS in your area. Call around because some totally rip you off. You shouldn't pay more than $50 for the transcription plus any shots you're missing.

There's an AOS thread in my signature that should help out. It has the complete document list.

Usually it's best to get the SSN in her maiden name before you're married and you must do it before you have less than 2 weeks left on your I-94 (sooner the better but wait 10 days after she enters). Although you aren't SUPPOSED to have issues getting it after marriage some offices really make life difficult so get it before marriage to make life easier. You could get married the next day it doesn't matter but at least you applied in her maiden name.

It makes life WAY too hard. Most often recently the SSA offices are telling people they're not eligible because thy're married they're "K3" now which aren't SSN eligible. It's complete toss but they'll give you the run around till your I-94 expires.. or you'll have no issues... but if you really want/need the SSN now you're better of doing it in her maiden and dealing with the name side later.

I personally applied in my maiden name and didn't change it until AGES later. I didn't need it for anything except my bank account and I could change the account name with a marriage cert. I could have changed the name with my EAD but I wasn't looking for work so no point. The only issue was that I had to file taxes in my maiden name because I didn't change it before taxes were due (back in 2010 for 2009 taxes though). She should be able to change the name on her SSN once she has the marriage cert but sometimes they make you wait till she has her EAD but no big deal because at least she has the number and can open bank accounts etc.

No the I-94 MUST have at least 2 weeks validity on it for you to get the SSN.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

I think Helen was talking about AOS when she said she filed about a month after her I-94 expired.

You are right :)

05-2010 NOA1 received.

07-2010 NOA2 received.

10-2010 POE Newark, NJ.

04-2011 I-485 Approved.

event.png

Same situation with us. This is the way we did it:-

Two weeks after arrival in US visit the SSA office and get the social security card in her maiden name. This will take around 10-14 days to arrive in the mail.

Most states will allow a UK driver "privileges" until she gets her NOA1 for resident card and can apply for her driving permit/licence.

Get married and acquire a copy of your marriage certificate at earliest opportunity.

Visit DEERS and get your new spouse registered.

Make appointment for shots on post and get the relevant printed vaccination sheet (they should give it to you automatically, if not then ask).

Call round the listed Civil Surgeons in your area and ask how much they charge to transcribe a written vaccination record onto the I-693. She won't need a new full medical if the original was within the last 12 months. They try it on, but persist until you find one who won't rip you off.

Start thinking about the AOS paperwork now. Any family visits you do (hotel receipts/travel receipts), get your utilities in both names where possible, get your lease/mortgage and vehicles/insurance updated to both names. The more supporting evidence you can provide, the more smoothly the process should go.

Most importantly, relax and enjoy spending time with your fiancee before the wedding. Take some shopping trips together so you can convert English into American English in the store (many veggies and meat cuts don't have the same names). :)

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.