David and Ariana

8 yr old step son - application to come to US

72 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Good news - she got the notarized letter. It was very hard - she and her mother had to kneel in front of her ex husband and beg. She knows he wouldn't have agreed if it was just her - but with her mother and grandmother and his father present, he did the right thing. After showing no desire to see the child for 5 years, it would have been just spite for him to stand in the way now.

I've sent and email as well as submitted the request for an appointment via the web form. She won't have the translation until Monday, so I'll send again then with a scan of the document (if I haven't received a reply) as well as fax (against their instructions) and she will express the document (which is what they say to do). On Monday there will only be 9 days left (including time needed to leave the country and arrive in the USA).

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

07/14/2009 Engagement Party in China

08/2009 Submitted I-129F for K1 Visa

11/2009 UCIS approval sent to NVC

12/2009 Sent to Guanghzou

01/2010 K-1 packet sent to fiancee - but because address was undeliverable, did not receive into March

03/2010 Received K-1 packet

04/2010 Returned Packet (took time to get Birth Certificate)

05/2010 Notified of appt. for July 14th - totally coincidentally on 1 yr anniversary of engagement

07/14/2010 Interview in Guangzhou, K-2 Visa Granted.

07/19/2010 Na came to America. Son stayed with Grandmother, stay in school while Na adjusted

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

11/2010 Applied for Adjustment of Status I-485

Also recieved bad Legal advice - saying could not apply for K-2 for 8 yr old son

because we were married. Dejected, submitted I-130 for son

03/03/2011 New Years Day - Interview in SFO. Green Card granted.

06/2011 Learned through VisaJourney that K-2 still possible for son - but only until July 14rh

06/08/2011 Emailed Guangzhou requesting reopening of K-1/K-2 file

06/09/2011 Recieved immediate reply giving appt of June 27th. Na flew to China immediately

06/27/2011 Interview - Visa not granted RFE birthfather approval

06/28/2011 Emailed Guangzhou asking for urgent appt to submit birthfather approval

06/30/2011 Recieved response giving appt for Jul 6th

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Good news - she got the notarized letter. It was very hard - she and her mother had to kneel in front of her ex husband and beg. She knows he wouldn't have agreed if it was just her - but with her mother and grandmother and his father present, he did the right thing. After showing no desire to see the child for 5 years, it would have been just spite for him to stand in the way now.

I've sent and email as well as submitted the request for an appointment via the web form. She won't have the translation until Monday, so I'll send again then with a scan of the document (if I haven't received a reply) as well as fax (against their instructions) and she will express the document (which is what they say to do). On Monday there will only be 9 days left (including time needed to leave the country and arrive in the USA).

I have a gut feeling you'll be ok. There's enough time for the consulate to get this done.

BTW, the notice was a standard 221(g). It wasn't a denial. They just needed more documents.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I've attached them, but I don't know if they will be readable in this format.

The front has handwriting that specifies the notorized permission document that they need.

The back has a star next to the paragraph that says to mail it in - that they do not accept faxes or emails. Later it says check with the office every few months to check on status. But this is all boilerplate of course.

Buddy - that's the blue slip, is not a NOIR/NOID [denial] white letter, at all.

Relax you, they just want more info.

Yay ! (This is a good thing, casefile not dead, yet)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

whew.

USCiziten makes appointment, not the PRC person - I assume you mean for ACS ? She can't submit stuff via ACS at all.

On the outside of the packet (hi - remember me?) write in big red letters - EXPEDITE K2 in English.

Well, thankfully things are getting closer. The timeliness of it all is giving me the jitters - I can't imagine what it's doing to you.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

:dance::dance::star::yes:

Good News! I just received an email from Guangzhou - it appears to be a response to the message I sent on the consulate web site (not a reply to my email). They have given her an appointment for Tuesday morning, July 5th! She will pick up her translation on Monday, then get on a train from Hunan province to Guangzhou and be there. I was all ready to cancel her July 8th tickets but now she and my stepson can fly back as schedule. Thank you for all your help!!

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

01/2010 K-1 packet sent to fiancee - but because address was undeliverable, did not receive into March

05/2010 Notified of appt. for July 14th - totally coincidentally on 1 yr anniversary of engagement

07/19/2010 Na came to America. Son stayed with Grandmother, stay in school while Na adjusted

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Also recieved bad Legal advice - saying could not apply for K-2 for 8 yr old son

06/2011 Learned through VisaJourney that K-2 still possible for son - but only until July 14rh

06/09/2011 Recieved immediate reply giving appt of June 27th. Na flew to China immediately

06/28/2011 Emailed Guangzhou asking for urgent appt to submit birthfather approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

:dance::dance::star::yes:

Good News! I just received an email from Guangzhou - it appears to be a response to the message I sent on the consulate web site (not a reply to my email). They have given her an appointment for Tuesday morning, July 5th! She will pick up her translation on Monday, then get on a train from Hunan province to Guangzhou and be there. I was all ready to cancel her July 8th tickets but now she and my stepson can fly back as schedule. Thank you for all your help!!

The fat lady ain't sung yet! Keep us posted! :yes:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Your right - but 24 hours ago I was betting it wasn't going to happen, while now I'd say the odds are in our favor now.

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Timeline

woo hoo, ah !

That's good news, meh.

Please burn some joss this weekend, the Gods have touched you.

Timeline

The conclusion I've got from this (with the help of you on this forum) is to not to limit yourself to the standard instructions and the documented process. If there is a legitimate reason for special attention, there are helpful people in the immigration organization who are willing to expedite things.

Anyway - fingers are crossed. Biggest fear now is that my wife will go monday to pick up the translated notarized document and find for some reason that it is delayed.

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The conclusion I've got from this (with the help of you on this forum) is to not to limit yourself to the standard instructions and the documented process. If there is a legitimate reason for special attention, there are helpful people in the immigration organization who are willing to expedite things.

Anyway - fingers are crossed. Biggest fear now is that my wife will go monday to pick up the translated notarized document and find for some reason that it is delayed.

Hi, David and Ariana!

I have no knowledge nor experience whatsoever that I can impart regarding your case but I have been reading the thread since you started this because my husband, the USC, has filed I-130 for my 3 yr old daughter (his stepchild) in the Philippines last Sat and we have gotten email and text notices of its acceptance with the WAC number last Tues. Think the NOA1 will be within the week.

I can only offer my prayers to you and your wife and stepchild.

I am learning so much from Jim and Darnell and you!I know where to reach out when I meet road bumps in the future regarding my case. Their support to your case has been very admirable. VJ rocks!

I undertsand the "paranoia" that something negative could happen again when your wife picks up the translation, etc..I can be that way too especially with the tight schedule...let's trust our pure intentions and that everything do happen for a reason. The learning you shared is a chunk worth. Thank you.

Best regards,

prep.mac

My Timeline:

10/2009 - met online

11/2010 - came here on B1/B2 visa

12/2010 - first meeting in person in Chicago, IL

03/2011 - moved in with him in IN

4/25/11 - got married in Mitchell, IN

5/02/11 - sent AOS packet (I-130/I-485/I-765) to Chicago Lockbox

5/04/11 - AOS packet received by Chicago Lockbox

5/23/11 - Received NOA for RFE (I-693)

5/27/11 - Sent RFE to DHS Lee's Summit, MO

6/02/11 - DHS Lee's Summit received REF reply

6/06/11 - Biometrics done at Louisville, KY as per NOA schedule

6/24/11 - Received NOA for July 25 interview in Indianapolis

6/30/11 – Received text and email messages EAD card on production

Timeline

Thanks prep.mac

Good luck to you as well. This has been a both frustrating and illuminating experience, and Darnell and Jim have been a great help. I haven't always followed their advice immediately - and have each time regretted it. I was too slow to take initial action and lost a couple weeks because of it - but with their help I think its going to work out.

At some point I want to write up the whole experience from K-1 onward and post it - maybe will will prove useful for someone starting out. I made a lot of mistakes. I still sometimes wonder if I should have hired an attorney to start - but my one experience with an attorney, as you know, turned out to be nearly disasterous. Odd to me - I've got a Ph.D. and so think of myself as not too dumb, and the US instructions for all the forms seem clear, so I thought I could handle it all. But I still made mistakes. I should have latched onto this website sooner (though in the begining I was on Candle for Love and got some advice at the time there.

So, crossing my fingers now and waiting. I'll of course keep this thread updated with what happens next week.

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Timeline

Hi David and Ariana:

Thanks for your email.

I will definitely continue to pray for you and your family. Like you, we didn't hire a lawyer 'cause we think we can do it. So far, for my AOS stage, we are ok.

Today, I received NOA of my hubby's (USC) petition for my daughter in the Philippines so it's in process. I have been reading a lot in VJ about similar cases in Manila. China is a bt of a challenge I gathered. It's less complicated ( I hope!) for me 'cause I was not married to my daughter's father. In the Philippines, the mother of "illegitimate" children has full custody. I hope I wouldn't need the father's signature or "permission". We are "in touch" and he said he wants the kids (my son is a USC by birth, 9 yrs old and he is coming here in Aug for Sept classes) to spend at least a year with him and family. I am not keen to the idea and told him so. He said he will go to court on the basis of his paternal rights (I never asked for child support nor did he voluntarily give any and he is currently unemployed) and that I have abandoned my kids...whew, the drama of this!ha!Pardon my sharing my case.:)

Anyway, I will say a special prayer for all of us while watching the July 4th fireworks..:) All these effort we do will pay off.

Best regards,

prep.mac

My Timeline:

10/2009 - met online

6/24/11 - Received NOA for July 25 interview in Indianapolis, IN

I-130 Petition for a Minor Child of USC

6/25/11 - Sent I-130 packet for stepchild

6/27/11 – USCIS receipt date

6/28/11 - Received text and email messages stating USCIS received it and moved case to CSC for processing

7/01/11 - Touched

7/02/11 – Received NOA1

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Today, I received NOA of my hubby's (USC) petition for my daughter in the Philippines so it's in process. I have been reading a lot in VJ about similar cases in Manila. China is a bt of a challenge I gathered. It's less complicated ( I hope!) for me 'cause I was not married to my daughter's father. In the Philippines, the mother of "illegitimate" children has full custody. I hope I wouldn't need the father's signature or "permission". We are "in touch" and he said he wants the kids (my son is a USC by birth, 9 yrs old and he is coming here in Aug for Sept classes) to spend at least a year with him and family. I am not keen to the idea and told him so. He said he will go to court on the basis of his paternal rights (I never asked for child support nor did he voluntarily give any and he is currently unemployed) and that I have abandoned my kids...whew, the drama of this!ha!Pardon my sharing my case.:)

You will not need consent from the biological father unless he is granted parental rights before the Visa is issued. We are in the process for my wife's second son (both illegitimate) and expect no problems just like the first.

Timeline

You will not need consent from the biological father unless he is granted parental rights before the Visa is issued. We are in the process for my wife's second son (both illegitimate) and expect no problems just like the first.

Hello Bob 4 Ana!

A big WHEW and HUGS to you and your spouse!

Thank you so much..I can rest on that aspect then!

Have a great 4th of July weeked!

prep.mac

My Timelines:

10/2009 - met online

6/24/11 - Received NOA for July 25 interview in Indianapolis, IN

I-130 Petition for a Minor Child of USC

6/25/11 - Sent I-130 packet for stepchild

6/27/11 – USCIS receipt date

6/28/11 - Received text and email messages stating USCIS received it and moved case to CSC for processing

7/01/11 - Touched

7/02/11 – Received NOA1

Timeline

Ariana showed up Friday as scheduled - but no Visa. They said come back tomorrow. Yesterday morning - went back to the consulate and got the Visa. SUCCESS!

Thanks entirely to the help I've received here, my wife and stepson will return to America in two weeks!! I don't know how to thank Jim and Darnel- but know you made a real difference in 4 people's lives.

I'll post a family picture in a few weeks when they are back. Other than that, I guess this story is over. I hope others who have read or will read this have gotten some assistance from it. My lesson - if you need special attention, and have good reason, don't be afraid to ask. Write your case succinctly and email the appropriate office - don't wait for the normal wheels to turn, if there is good reason to ask them to jump through hoops.

Thanks everybody!

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.