David and Ariana

8 yr old step son - application to come to US

72 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Update - a new problem. Everything seemed hopeful. I did go to the USCIS interview in SF today and asked if I needed to withdraw the I-130. She said yes, and I presented the letter I had written withdrawing the petition.

My wife went to China 3 weeks ago, got all the documents prepared and went to her interview today. She just called me in tears - they say, she must have her ex husband's permission to bring the boy to America.

I had asked her if she had custody before, and she told me how she had had to go to the court to get it, but did have it. But I never saw a translation of the document, so I don't really know what it said. Whatever it said, it apparently isn't good enough, or isn't complete custody. This is a problem that I hadn't anticipated at all - if we can't get permission or custody, her son can't come, which means she must stay - which I don't even want to think about. Of course, if she can't get the birth father to agree, we can get a lawyer involved - but who knows how long that will take - certainly longer than the 14 days that we have left.

Do you know anything about Chinese custody law that might help?

I doubt this is a matter of Chinese custody law, but consular policy. We had to do the same in Vietnam, even though my wife had sole custody of her kids, and the only child at issue was a 17 year old girl who would be 18 three weeks after the interview. Your wife needs to contact her ex-husband. If he isn't willing to go along then she should offer him a bribe. She needs his signature on a letter giving permission for their son to immigrate permanently to the United States. He needs to sign it in front of a notary or legal witness, and provide a photocopy of his ID. She also needs to get the letter translated. Do whatever it takes. Use whatever leverage you have to persuade her ex-husband to sign the letter. In some countries I've seen people use "Sign it or I'll sue you for child support". Don't know if that would work in China.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Thanks. Talked to my wife this morning and they have talked to the ex and he says "he needs time". I came to the same conclusion about bribes and have started liquidating some money. I like the idea of the child support approach - but if actually gets to the court I assume we are talking about years.

But I now understand that this was a "denial", so even if he approves tomorrow, it sounds like we are talking about several months more for an appeal. I still don't understand whether or not that "several months" for an appeal now extends the 1year deadline for the K-2, or whether the whole process ends in 2 weeks and we have to start over with a I-130.

Is there any value in trying to use outside influence to speed up the appeal? Call my senator? Get a Guangzhou lawyer with connections? Go to Guangzhou myself (would they meet with me?)

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

07/14/2009 Engagement Party in China

08/2009 Submitted I-129F for K1 Visa

11/2009 UCIS approval sent to NVC

12/2009 Sent to Guanghzou

01/2010 K-1 packet sent to fiancee - but because address was undeliverable, did not receive into March

03/2010 Received K-1 packet

04/2010 Returned Packet (took time to get Birth Certificate)

05/2010 Notified of appt. for July 14th - totally coincidentally on 1 yr anniversary of engagement

07/14/2010 Interview in Guangzhou, K-2 Visa Granted.

07/19/2010 Na came to America. Son stayed with Grandmother, stay in school while Na adjusted

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

11/2010 Applied for Adjustment of Status I-485

Also recieved bad Legal advice - saying could not apply for K-2 for 8 yr old son

because we were married. Dejected, submitted I-130 for son

03/03/2011 New Years Day - Interview in SFO. Green Card granted.

06/2011 Learned through VisaJourney that K-2 still possible for son - but only until July 14rh

06/08/2011 Emailed Guangzhou requesting reopening of K-1/K-2 file

06/09/2011 Recieved immediate reply giving appt of June 27th. Na flew to China immediately

06/27/2011 Interview - Visa not granted RFE birthfather approval

06/28/2011 Emailed Guangzhou asking for urgent appt to submit birthfather approval

06/30/2011 Recieved response giving appt for Jul 6th

Filed: Timeline

Thanks. Talked to my wife this morning and they have talked to the ex and he says "he needs time". I came to the same conclusion about bribes and have started liquidating some money. I like the idea of the child support approach - but if actually gets to the court I assume we are talking about years.

But I now understand that this was a "denial", so even if he approves tomorrow, it sounds like we are talking about several months more for an appeal. I still don't understand whether or not that "several months" for an appeal now extends the 1year deadline for the K-2, or whether the whole process ends in 2 weeks and we have to start over with a I-130.

Is there any value in trying to use outside influence to speed up the appeal? Call my senator? Get a Guangzhou lawyer with connections? Go to Guangzhou myself (would they meet with me?)

There is nothing your Senator can do. You are essentially asking the father to give up his son. This is a family matter. You will need the father's consent or a court order allowing the child to immigrate.

The problem is international kidnapping by one parent. The US government requires the consent of both parents in order to issue an immigration visa to a minor as a precaution against international kidnapping by one parent. The US government will not assist a parent to move a child to the US permanently and deprive the other parent of his/her parental rights. The non-immigrating parent must consent to letting the child immigrate, or there has to be a court order allowing the child to immigrate without the other parent's consent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I'd focus solely on getting the permission letter signed from the ex-husband, for this week. Did they give her a call in letter, or a blue slip, or both ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

I guess I didn't present my question right. I'm pretty sure we will get the birth father's consent, in the end. He has had nothing to do with the child for 6 years as well as being abusive in the marriage. My question about "getting help" was more about expediting the appeal of the denial. I'm told it will take "a few months" which I guess means 6 months or so.

David

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

01/2010 K-1 packet sent to fiancee - but because address was undeliverable, did not receive into March

05/2010 Notified of appt. for July 14th - totally coincidentally on 1 yr anniversary of engagement

07/19/2010 Na came to America. Son stayed with Grandmother, stay in school while Na adjusted

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Also recieved bad Legal advice - saying could not apply for K-2 for 8 yr old son

06/2011 Learned through VisaJourney that K-2 still possible for son - but only until July 14rh

06/09/2011 Recieved immediate reply giving appt of June 27th. Na flew to China immediately

06/28/2011 Emailed Guangzhou asking for urgent appt to submit birthfather approval

Timeline

are you sure it was a denial, or a request for more information ?

ask her to scan the paper(s ) given to her, email them to you..

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

She is going to scan and send me a number of docs later today - but she read me a portion and it used the word denial.

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Timeline

I'm a betting they want more info, not real NOID/NOIR at all.

Timeline

This is a matter of policy rather than law. The Foreign Affairs Manual states that the K2 visa must be issued within one year of the issuance of the K1 visa. The FAM also states that after one year an immigrant visa petition must be filed for the child. There are no provisions in the Foreign Affairs Manual to extend that window of time.

I wish I could read the instructions from the consulate in Guangzhou. Was the requirement for the letter of approval from the non-immigrating parent not mentioned in the instructions? If it was then follow those instructions for the letter.

I think you need to find out precisely what the letter from the consulate said. Letters from the consulate in HCMC often read like a denial letter, and then go on to ask for specific documents from the beneficiary and/or the petitioner. They don't use the word "denied", though.

Whether the visa was denied or simply put on hold pending the letter from the boy's father, I think you need to contact the consulate immediately. You should explain the urgency of the timing here, and ask if another interview can be scheduled before the one year window has expired, either to continue the previous visa application or submit a new visa application. Even if the previous application was denied he should still be eligible to apply again. If you can't get a response from the consulate within a few days then contact Marc Ellis and see if he can get another appointment for you. Move quickly.

http://www.marcellislaw.com/contact.html

Timeline

This is a matter of policy rather than law. The Foreign Affairs Manual states that the K2 visa must be issued within one year of the issuance of the K1 visa. The FAM also states that after one year an immigrant visa petition must be filed for the child. There are no provisions in the Foreign Affairs Manual to extend that window of time.

I wish I could read the instructions from the consulate in Guangzhou. Was the requirement for the letter of approval from the non-immigrating parent not mentioned in the instructions? If it was then follow those instructions for the letter.

I think you need to find out precisely what the letter from the consulate said. Letters from the consulate in HCMC often read like a denial letter, and then go on to ask for specific documents from the beneficiary and/or the petitioner. They don't use the word "denied", though.

Whether the visa was denied or simply put on hold pending the letter from the boy's father, I think you need to contact the consulate immediately. You should explain the urgency of the timing here, and ask if another interview can be scheduled before the one year window has expired, either to continue the previous visa application or submit a new visa application. Even if the previous application was denied he should still be eligible to apply again. If you can't get a response from the consulate within a few days then contact Marc Ellis and see if he can get another appointment for you. Move quickly.

http://www.marcellislaw.com/contact.html

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Timeline

I'll take your advice. I was going to wait until we had the document and then plead for immediate action, but your suggestion to ask now makes a lot of sense. It worked once before, after all.

She sent me the document. It was a blue form, with the first paragraph saying that "you have been found to be in-eligible for the following reasons". Nothing was checked after that but in the comments section at the bottom of the form there was the written notice that the notarized letter from the birthfather allowing travel to the USA was required. I've never seen the "blue slip" i hear mentioned in these forums, but I assume this is it. None of the check boxes on the back were checked either. My wife being so shocked by the result she didn't ask the critical question - how does this fit into the 1 year window. But your advice is good and I will contact them immediately. Meanwhile we should know tonight if the birth father is going to make it easy or difficult.

She sent me the court custody document as well. She sued for custody when he refused to care for the boy when he was supposed to, and he didn't even show up for the three court dates. She was given "full custody". But I understand their requirement. Just wish it had been detailed in the K-1 packet.

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Timeline

That's a blue slip, in GUZ IV terminology - think of it as an RFE. Somewhere there - it asked for something, and gave instructions on how to submit it.

Usually, a denial is white.

A call in letter is also white.

Sometimes, a call in letter is issued with a blue slip.

If you'd like an eyeball review this evening, load up the page in some graphic editor, redact / blur the personal info, flip it all to low res, and post it here (or a link to some image website).

Timeline

I'll take your advice. I was going to wait until we had the document and then plead for immediate action, but your suggestion to ask now makes a lot of sense. It worked once before, after all.

She sent me the document. It was a blue form, with the first paragraph saying that "you have been found to be in-eligible for the following reasons". Nothing was checked after that but in the comments section at the bottom of the form there was the written notice that the notarized letter from the birthfather allowing travel to the USA was required. I've never seen the "blue slip" i hear mentioned in these forums, but I assume this is it. None of the check boxes on the back were checked either. My wife being so shocked by the result she didn't ask the critical question - how does this fit into the 1 year window. But your advice is good and I will contact them immediately. Meanwhile we should know tonight if the birth father is going to make it easy or difficult.

She sent me the court custody document as well. She sued for custody when he refused to care for the boy when he was supposed to, and he didn't even show up for the three court dates. She was given "full custody". But I understand their requirement. Just wish it had been detailed in the K-1 packet.

The blue slip usually isn't a denial. As Darnell said, it's the consular equivalent of an RFE. Hopefully, it says she can walk in anytime and submit the letter. If so, get it submitted as soon as possible. You don't have much time if there ends up being another delay.

The consulates usually have some knowledge of local child custody laws. In some countries they will issue a visa if the immigrating parent has sole custody. In many other countries (including the US) sole custody does not usually terminate the non-custodial parent's rights. The consulate is just covering their backsides here. They don't want the biological father raising a stink about his son permanently leaving China, and they don't want the consulate accused of being complicit in an international child abduction.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The blue slip is not a denial, it just states at this time person applied for visa is not eligible for the visa for the whtever reason it says – in your case it is the letter from father giving release.

As it has been mentioned in earlier post, you should focus on getting the letter from father for the approval.

Timeline

I've attached them, but I don't know if they will be readable in this format.

The front has handwriting that specifies the notorized permission document that they need.

The back has a star next to the paragraph that says to mail it in - that they do not accept faxes or emails. Later it says check with the office every few months to check on status. But this is all boilerplate of course.

post-107773-0-31403600-1309404003_thumb.jpg

post-107773-0-08521600-1309404024_thumb.jpg

David and Ariana (Na)

02/2009 Met Online

04/2009 Met in person

and improved English

09/14/2010 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.