C_María

Crappy Photocopy of Birth Certificate

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

When my guy went to his interview in Mexico 7 weeks ago he was nervous about what to bring so he brought everything we had compiled, I assured him that they would give back what they didn't need. Well they ended up keeping the originals and three copies each of TWO original birth certificates of his and my one. We got some stuff back in the DHL envelope with the visa but not the birth certificates. At the POE I asked if we would get any of that back and the guy just chuckled and said maybe later in the mail, maybe never. And guess what, we haven't received it.

So as I dig through our files I find to my dismay that the ONLY copy we have of ANY of his birth certificates is one that has a light strip in the middle where the info is less legible that we decided not to use before. It's not any really important info, just where it says his parents marital status and that he was a single, live birth. And since it will be translated to English anyways I wonder if it's okay to submit this along with the translation or if that's too risky.

Obtaining another original involves getting in touch with a family member that still lives in the town of his birth, western union-ing money and sending them all over the city to complete the steps required and then paying about $40 to have it shipped.

Do you guys think we should send the crappy copy or start the goose chase?

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

NOA2- January 24, 2011 (NOA1-NOA2: 154 days)

NVC Receive- January 31, 2011

NVC Sent- February 1, 2011

Consulate Receive- February 3, 2011

Consulate Sent Packet 3- March 10, 2011 (CDJ Receive-Packet 3 sent: 35 days)

Receive Packet 3 in U.S.- March 21, 2011

ASC Appointment- March 23, 2011

Interview- March 24, 2011

Crossed into the U.S.- April 7, 2011

A.O.S.

I-485 in the mail- June 14, 2011

I-485 received at Chicago Lockbox- June 16, 2011

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

When my guy went to his interview in Mexico 7 weeks ago he was nervous about what to bring so he brought everything we had compiled, I assured him that they would give back what they didn't need. Well they ended up keeping the originals and three copies each of TWO original birth certificates of his and my one. We got some stuff back in the DHL envelope with the visa but not the birth certificates. At the POE I asked if we would get any of that back and the guy just chuckled and said maybe later in the mail, maybe never. And guess what, we haven't received it.

So as I dig through our files I find to my dismay that the ONLY copy we have of ANY of his birth certificates is one that has a light strip in the middle where the info is less legible that we decided not to use before. It's not any really important info, just where it says his parents marital status and that he was a single, live birth. And since it will be translated to English anyways I wonder if it's okay to submit this along with the translation or if that's too risky.

Obtaining another original involves getting in touch with a family member that still lives in the town of his birth, western union-ing money and sending them all over the city to complete the steps required and then paying about $40 to have it shipped.

Do you guys think we should send the crappy copy or start the goose chase?

I think you should do both - send a COPY of the crappy copy, and also get the ball rolling on getting a new one. This is probably not the last time you'll need it.

BTW, never EVER give them original documents unless they specifically ask for them. Most consulates ask you to bring the original documents to the interview so that they have the option of examining them, but if also you bring photocopies (which they usually instruct you to do) then they'll keep the photocopies and return the originals.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Slovenia
Timeline

They might ask for original at the interview so make sure you have it by then at least.

My Immigration Journey:

K1: June 2010 - December 2010

AOS: April 2011 - June 2011

ROC: April 2013 - August 2013

Naturalization: March 2014 - August 2014

My birth certificate (I'm the American citizen) was in pretty bad shape. It was the original from 1982 and it has a pretty bad tear on one of the creases. I scanned it instead of Xerox copying it, with a bit of tape on the back, and it looked pretty decent on the scan. I didn't have any issues.

In all fairness, they do tell you on the forms not to send original documents unless specified.

Edited by gap1

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your responses! I think we'll send in the packet now with the bad copy and not hold things up and then at the same time start working on getting another copy of the original.

In all fairness, they do tell you on the forms not to send original documents unless specified.

We didn't send any original documents, we sent all copies with the original I-129 packet. Then the instructions we received for the interview 7 months later said to bring originals of all documents that we had previously submitted copies of. The beneficiary went to his interview with the copies and the originals and was called up to a window where he was told to submit everything he had. Then they had a problem with their new biometrics system and had him wait inside the consulate for 9 hours while they waited for the system to send his fingerprints. When they called him up to the window right before they closed they gave him a 5 minute interview and rushed him out, I think normally they would have given him then documents back at that time but their minds were on their non-functioning new system. :P

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

We didn't send any original documents, we sent all copies with the original I-129 packet. Then the instructions we received for the interview 7 months later said to bring originals of all documents that we had previously submitted copies of. The beneficiary went to his interview with the copies and the originals and was called up to a window where he was told to submit everything he had. Then they had a problem with their new biometrics system and had him wait inside the consulate for 9 hours while they waited for the system to send his fingerprints. When they called him up to the window right before they closed they gave him a 5 minute interview and rushed him out, I think normally they would have given him then documents back at that time but their minds were on their non-functioning new system. :P

Oh my fault, I misread your post. That sucks! I'm sorry. This system is so broken.

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I think you should do both - send a COPY of the crappy copy, and also get the ball rolling on getting a new one. This is probably not the last time you'll need it.

BTW, never EVER give them original documents unless they specifically ask for them. Most consulates ask you to bring the original documents to the interview so that they have the option of examining them, but if also you bring photocopies (which they usually instruct you to do) then they'll keep the photocopies and return the originals.

Just out of interest, this is the form that Aus sends with their P3: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/australia/39176/pdf/dsl-1076.pdf . They ask for a photocopy and original birth cert to be sent, all this stuff in this list is sent to the embassy and only when we do that is our interview letter sent (P4). They do hand the originals back at the interview though.

The only thing we take to the interview is any documents that we missed sending, the fee, the envelope, our passport and evidence supporting our relationship.

I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, just letting you know info to add to your memory banks :) Also IQuit talked about the SSN thing we were discussing here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/311671-how-long-to-get-ss-card-changed/page__view__findpost__p__4689650

Timeline

Thanks for the links! It was interesting to see how they handle it in Aus, it's more or less the same in Mexico but with that aftertaste of corruption that they are so well known for... I have always been told not to let any original documents out of my grip when traveling in Mexico as they are notorious for keeping them for whatever reason, I can't tell you how many photocopies of my own passport and visa I've had to hand out to various authorities. I just thought he US embassy could be trusted to look at them and hand them back! Oh well, now we know.

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

I-129F

NOA1- August 23,2010

A.O.S.

NOA1- June 17, 2011

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.