Blessed2011

8 months after AOS interview and no decision

15 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I wanted to inquire if anyone has or know anybody who's been in this kind of situation. I applied for adjustment of status through marriage from an F-1 in June 2010 and had my AOS interview in September of 2010. Ever since I've heard nothing. We've tried contacting our congressman, 2 senators, taken 3 infopasses, 2 service requests. All we get is that my file is with a supervisor. Recently we just contacted USCIS Ombudsman but haven't heard anything back.

Any suggestions?? My F-1 status was expired for a year before we decided to apply and I worked when I shouldn't have. Do you think that is the reason for the delay? Both my husband and I have clean records.

I interviewed at the St. Louis office. Any input is welcome.

AOS Timeline:

June 2nd 2010- Filed for adjustment of status

June 16th 2010- Biometrics letter received scheduled for July 9th.

August 9th 2010- AOS interview letter received. Interview scheduled for September 21st, 2010.

August 14th 2010- EAD arrived finally!!!! Thank you God.

September 21st 2010- GC Interview @ 0100

April 20, 2011- Applied to renew EAD &AP (paper)

May 9, 2011- AP RECEIVED! Talk about fast service!

June 8, 2011- EAD card received!

September 20th, 2011- Home visit by USCIS officers!!!!

November 21st- Fingerprint notice for Dec1st

December 5th- Card Production Ordered email/text

December 7th- Card production ordered again email/text

December 8th- Decision on case status email/text

December 10th -GREEN CARD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL, WHOOP WHOOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I wanted to inquire if anyone has or know anybody who's been in this kind of situation. I applied for adjustment of status through marriage from an F-1 in June 2010 and had my AOS interview in September of 2010. Ever since I've heard nothing. We've tried contacting our congressman, 2 senators, taken 3 infopasses, 2 service requests. All we get is that my file is with a supervisor. Recently we just contacted USCIS Ombudsman but haven't heard anything back.

Any suggestions?? My F-1 status was expired for a year before we decided to apply and I worked when I shouldn't have. Do you think that is the reason for the delay? Both my husband and I have clean records.

If you're married to a US citizen then working without authorization isn't an issue, nor is overstaying your visa. However, if you used somebody elses Social Security number or claimed to be a US citizen in order to work then that would be a problem.

You've lit all the right fires by contacting your congressional representatives and the ombudsman's office. If that didn't get them moving then this isn't simply a matter of bureaucratic bumbling. They're waiting for something, and they aren't going to make a decision until they get it. Maybe something came up in their investigation.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I just looked at your timeline and I see you mentioned an address change.

Did you move to a different state after AOS interview?

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

If you're married to a US citizen then working without authorization isn't an issue, nor is overstaying your visa. However, if you used somebody elses Social Security number or claimed to be a US citizen in order to work then that would be a problem.

You've lit all the right fires by contacting your congressional representatives and the ombudsman's office. If that didn't get them moving then this isn't simply a matter of bureaucratic bumbling. They're waiting for something, and they aren't going to make a decision until they get it. Maybe something came up in their investigation.

Thanks Jim for the reply. Yes am married to a US citizen. I used my own social security number that i was issued when i was in college. I have also never claimed to be a US citizen. To day i got a letter from CIS Ombudsman that they are inquiring about my case and should contact them if i dont hear anything from USCIS after 45 days. Its just frustrating, i just wish i knew what it is they are waiting for. Am not afraid of anything coming up since i know i have a clean record both here and my home country.

AOS Timeline:

August 9th 2010- AOS interview letter received. Interview scheduled for September 21st, 2010.

I just looked at your timeline and I see you mentioned an address change.

Did you move to a different state after AOS interview?

Thanks Juliava for the reply. I changed my address but within the same state though. I see from you timeline you also had a long wait? So i know you understand my frustration. Did you take infopasses and if so did they help? The ones we've taken does not seem to help at all. I guess its also different from state to state. Oh well, i guess in the end we just leave everything to God and forget about the rest :-)

Edited by shixsupuu

AOS Timeline:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Yes, the infopasses did help me because after the interview I had to do my biometrics for I-485 which for some reason weren't taken before the interview. I also had to change our address, but in our case we moved to a different state. When you move to a different state after an AOS interview AND the AOS decision is pending for any reason, your file has to be transferred to the state where you currently reside and the decision is made by the new local USCIS office. The USCIS office close to your previous address has no jurisdicion on your case anymore even though your interview took place over there.

I found out about all these on my 2 or 3nd infopass appintment and if I hadn't scheduled one my file wouldn't have been transferred to the other office. My frustration was generated by the fact that the address change was done properly by me and also it was confirmed on one of my earlier infopasses, and nobody realised that my file needed a transfer to a different USCIS office. I waited 6 months in vain to find out that my file needed a transfer in order to get the final decision.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thanks Jim for the reply. Yes am married to a US citizen. I used my own social security number that i was issued when i was in college. I have also never claimed to be a US citizen. To day i got a letter from CIS Ombudsman that they are inquiring about my case and should contact them if i dont hear anything from USCIS after 45 days. Its just frustrating, i just wish i knew what it is they are waiting for. Am not afraid of anything coming up since i know i have a clean record both here and my home country.

You'll probably only find out what they're waiting for if you get a NOID, an RFE, or are called in for another interview. It could be something you're entirely unaware of. It could even be something that has nothing to do with you. For example, a cross hit might have come up in the FBI background check, and they need to confirm that it's somebody else and not you. The point is that if the delay is because the field office is too busy then heat from your congressional reps and the ombudsman's office is usually enough to get them to make a decision. If they're waiting on information from another agency then nothing will get them to resume processing until they get that information.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Yes, the infopasses did help me because after the interview I had to do my biometrics for I-485 which for some reason weren't taken before the interview. I also had to change our address, but in our case we moved to a different state. When you move to a different state after an AOS interview AND the AOS decision is pending for any reason, your file has to be transferred to the state where you currently reside and the decision is made by the new local USCIS office. The USCIS office close to your previous address has no jurisdicion on your case anymore even though your interview took place over there.

I found out about all these on my 2 or 3nd infopass appintment and if I hadn't scheduled one my file wouldn't have been transferred to the other office. My frustration was generated by the fact that the address change was done properly by me and also it was confirmed on one of my earlier infopasses, and nobody realised that my file needed a transfer to a different USCIS office. I waited 6 months in vain to find out that my file needed a transfer in order to get the final decision.

It seems the infopass in your case worked in your favor. The infopass in St. Louis are pretty useless. All the IO does is check the computer and tell you that your file is with a supervisor. One of the infopasses my husband asked if he could speak to the supervisor but the IO said that never happens! I think the supervisors are some sorts of gods or something! I am just praying i do not have to wait any longer than i already have. Its been terrible 8 months waiting!

AOS Timeline:

You'll probably only find out what they're waiting for if you get a NOID, an RFE, or are called in for another interview. It could be something you're entirely unaware of. It could even be something that has nothing to do with you. For example, a cross hit might have come up in the FBI background check, and they need to confirm that it's somebody else and not you. The point is that if the delay is because the field office is too busy then heat from your congressional reps and the ombudsman's office is usually enough to get them to make a decision. If they're waiting on information from another agency then nothing will get them to resume processing until they get that information.

Jim, I just wish i could get an RFE or something to make me know they are reviewing my case. I know a couple of people on this site who were interviewed at the same office and their files are pending! The weird thing is that our files are with the same supervisor! Makes me think its just a case of pure laziness!!! What's the longest time that you've heard a case has been delayed because of background check??? I am just hoping i will get some good news from the ombudsman. Will wait till the end of June before taking anymore action. Will keep you updated on my crazy AOS journey!

AOS Timeline:

Yes he did receive a confirmation letter on the change of address about a week later and I also changed mine online.

AOS Timeline:

• 3 months later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hey guys!

I'm waiting a decision for I-485 from supervisor named Alan Johnson from St. Louis for almost 3 years. No green card, no status for 3 years.

There is something wrong with St. Louis office.

Congressmen are pretty much useless in St. Louis area, received no relief from Ombudsman and President Obama as well.

I don't know what all those people do, probably sit& drink coffee all day, but obviously they aren't going to help all of us.

I don't know what to do.

Any advise would be welcome.

Bird4555,

Oh my goodness, almost 3 years???!!!! My case is also with Alan Johnson!!! It has now been pending for 15 months, & almost 1 year after our interview. Have you taken any infopasses & if so what were you told?? St. Louis office is pretty useless if you may ask me. My husband & I have one of the mist legit marriage & this is what we get to go through. We are waiting for about 2 more months then our lawyer is going to file a writ of mandamus. Have you thought of filing that? We are thinking of filing it ourselves though so as to save money.

Keep me informed on your case as we seem to be in the same boat.

Bird4555,

Oh my goodness, almost 3 years???!!!! My case is also with Alan Johnson!!! It has now been pending for 15 months, & almost 1 year after our interview. Have you taken any infopasses & if so what were you told?? St. Louis office is pretty useless if you may ask me. My husband & I have one of the mist legit marriage & this is what we get to go through. We are waiting for about 2 more months then our lawyer is going to file a writ of mandamus. Have you thought of filing that? We are thinking of filing it ourselves though so as to save money.

Sorry I double posted it!

AOS Timeline:

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey everyone,

Hi! We just arrived from our interview and was even crying because there was no decision yet it says wait for 180 days! man it is 6 months! I felt so bad! ... I am just curious what happend to your case ...what did the USCIS do in ur house?

• 6 years later...
On 9/13/2011 at 10:37 PM, Blessed2011 said:

Bird4555,

Bird4555,

Sorry I double posted it!

Are you still waiting for your interview result? I am in the situatopn, I have been waiting for 6 months now, I am really worried they will deny my case :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.