faust-yusov

Last Film You Saw Thread

2,208 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh, I think that's a little unfair - I think there's certainly a degree of comedic intent in the line, as well as elsewhere in the scene. Anderson in fact paraphrased the analogy from a 1920s Congressional hearing, used by Albert Fall to explain drainage to senators, and has stated he did so precisely for its jarring incongruity.

I'd also say that it would be to misread the film to ignore its blackly comic undertones, or think it particularly naturalist/realist. I'm also not entirely sure how DDL could have not "chewed the scenery", seeing as the scene called for Plainview to be at the merest provocation whipped into so rabid a frenzy as to bludgeon his old antagonist in the head with a bowling pin.

Edited by faust-yusov

Timeline

My erudite fiancee also recommended 'Yumurta', a recent Iranian film of apparently much the same vein as 'Tokyo Story'/'Still Walking', which I've managed to get a hold of. Hoping to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

Got round to watching this yesterday.

It's a 2007 Turkish film (mistakenly I'd said Iranian) about a man returning briefly to his home town to bury his mother. As with 'Tokyo Story' and 'Still Walking', there's that same backdrop of the generational shift from provincial to cosmopolitan living, and the introspection of returning to places or people you feel you've outgrown.

Most of all though it reminded me quite a bit of the Tarkovsky I've seen (particularly 'Nostalgia'): the idea of "home", a sort of metaphysical championing of the rural and the spiritual, and, stylistically, that same respect for an image, particularly of nature, to be worthwhile in and of itself. Really liked it - apparently the first in a trilogy, too, charting the main character's life in reverse-chronological order.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

...reminded me quite a bit of the Tarkovsky I've seen...

Speaking of, I discovered the other day that Mosfilm have a YouTube channel now.

It's largely in cyrillic, so you might need Chrome to translate the page, and it's a little bit of a lottery re whether or not something has English subs (though it seems, from articles, that it's their intent to provide them eventually), but it looks like a pretty excellent resource of good quality films (and it's not too tricky to work out how to download a YouTube vid and find subs elsewhere).

I recently saw a Tarrantino/Grind House/Robert Rodriguez-type indie film named, "Ticked Off Trannies with Knives". I have to say, "WOW!" It dealt with issues related to gay bashing and stalking with lots of humor thrown in. Two thumbs up! :thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Ken y Leidys

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

'Offret', 1986, dir: Andrei Tarkovsky

(Spurred by watching 'Yumurta' a few weeks ago.)

Alexander, a troubled academic, commemorates his birthday with a gathering of family and friends at his home. Festivities of typical Tarkovskian portent ensue. Characters interact as if disparate entities in separate dreams. A metaphysical disquisition (an advocacy of the natural/spiritual over the material/empirical) is broadly outlined.

Dusk thereafter dulls the expansive and ornate wood-floored reception room to a thick murk more befitting its inhabitants' brood and quandaries. The monochrome flicker of a faltering television broadcast imparts the news that WW3 has been declared; that the Soviets are at war with America. So is sketched the familiar backdrop of impending nuclear holocaust; of thick, broiling apocalypse, so present and so well captured in so much of his work ('Ivan's Childhood', 'Stalker', 'Andrei Rublev').

A really wonderful film, and gorgeously photographed by Sven Nykvist, Ingmar Bergman's long time collaborator. A point on the ending, however: for a piece mostly consumed in a sort of groggy, meandering, oneiric existentialism, touching on the burdensome limitations of human intellect (a la 'Solaris'), its final climax did feel rather jarringly straight-forward... difficult to say whether this works to its favor or detriment after just one viewing.

Edited by faust-yusov

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A handful of really good films I watched on Netflix within the last couple of months:

1. Mammoth

2. Bangkok Girl (Documentary)

3. Flock of Dodos (Documentary)

4. Children of Heaven (Iranian film) - it was one of the most refreshingly simple films I've seen in a long time. Terrific story telling and the cinematography is outstanding.

60010229.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Last film I saw was Marley and Me (watched it last night as was having movie marathon night due to boredom)

I have to admit I was skeptical on the film as heard was bad and loads said was fantastic, I will say for one who doesn't often cry at movies I sobbed my heart out right at the end. It was a good movie and well worth the watch albiet very sad.

~We started chatting online through a chat room in October 2007~

~We decided to have an online a relationship till we felt comfortable enough to meet in January 2008~

~Yay we finally met at chicago airport February 2010~

~Randy asked me to marry him March 2010 (informally with the promise of saving for a ring for my next trip)~

~Stayed with Randy for 3 month Vacation till April 2010 {it was great and I didn't want to come home =0( ~

~October 2010 Went to see randy for a second time for 3 months wohoo (was so sad to leave but it was a great 3 months)~

~25th October 2010 Randy asked me to marry him formally with a twin set ring the day I got there (was the happiest moment of my life)~

~To date saving for a 3rd trip,wedding and birth cert and hopfully applying for a CR-1 visa instead of a K-1 visa as origionally planned~

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Super 8.

Frankly, I found it underwhelming. Rather disappointing given the buzz around it. Although, if I were twelve, I'd probably have thought it to be the best movie ever.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

-American Beauty

-A Few Good Men

-As Good as It Gets

-Seven

-The Rookie

-Groundhog Day

-Gross Anatomy

-Beethoven

-Wargames

-The Legend of Bagger Vance

-The Scarlet letter

-The Muppets Movie

-Old Yeller

-Gone With the Wind

-Great Expectations

-Small Soldiers

-Little Voice

-Silverado

-The River Wild

-Romancing The Stone

-Good Will Hunting

All in 3 week time frame. I love movies. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

-American Beauty

-A Few Good Men

-As Good as It Gets

-Seven

-The Rookie

-Groundhog Day

-Gross Anatomy

-Beethoven

-Wargames

-The Scarlet letter

-The Muppets Movie

-Old Yeller

-Gone With the Wind

-Great Expectations

-Small Soldiers

-Little Voice

-Silverado

-The River Wild

-Romancing The Stone

-Good Will Hunting

:dance::dance::wow:

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

I liked Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood is one of my favorites.

K1 Visa Timeline

10/11/2010 - I-129F sent via USPS

10/19/2010 - NOA1 hard copy received, dated 10/15/2010

04/08/2011- received NOA2 hard copy, dated 04/05/2011

04/12/2011- NVC received petition

04/18/2011- received letter from NVC

04/18/2011- Manila embassy received petition

04/27/2011- medical exam passed

05/04/2011- appointment letter received dated 06/01/2011

06/01/2011- appointment date, put on administrative review

06/24/2011- visa granted

06/29/2011- received visa

07/18/2011- cfo class

07/21/2011- arrived in America

09/02/2011- happily married!

AOS Timeline

12/01/2011- AOS packet sent

12/06/2011- received email and text from USCIS with MSC number

12/07/2011- check was cashed

12/10/2011- received NOA hard copy dated 12/05/2011

12/12/2011- received NOA hard copy for biometrics appointment for 12/28/2011

12/24/2011- received NOA hard copy stating that our case was transfered to CSC on 12/20/2011

12/28/2011- biometrics appointment completed

06/25/2012- put in service request

09/12/2012- AOS approved

09/17/2012- card production

09/21/2012- greencard in hand

ROC Timeline

08/04/2014 - sent ROC packet

08/13/2014 - received I-797, NOA, dated 08/08/2014

08/28/2014 - received biometric appt. letter for 09/11/2014

02/25/2015- ROC approved

-American Beauty

-A Few Good Men

-As Good as It Gets

-Seven

-The Rookie

-Groundhog Day

-Gross Anatomy

-Beethoven

-Wargames

-The Scarlet letter

-The Muppets Movie

-Old Yeller

-Gone With the Wind

-Great Expectations

-Small Soldiers

-Little Voice

-Silverado

-The River Wild

-Romancing The Stone

-Good Will Hunting

Whoa!!! :)

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

:dance::dance::wow:

Whoa!!! :)

I actually forgot to write Catch Me If You Can, Cast Away, Sneakers and Spaceballs :blush::). When I first got here, My husband would buy me vhs movies from Goodwill. I've already watched and donated again a lot of 80s, 90s and early 2000 comedy and rom-com movies. For a while, I've stopped watching them because of my schedule/got bored with it. Now I'm back with what's left, mostly non-comedy. I still have more. :lol:

Edited by honey_me