Adam2

Health insurance for new immigrant

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everybody, my wife did make to the state last march, and we thinking about having kids, but when we try to get health insurance with maternity in Virginia,there only one company that cover maternity for individual plan is blue cross and blur shield , so when we submit the application , they the the applicant need to be in the state for 12 month to be covered, and it's very expensive to get pregnant without insurance ,please any suggestion thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Does the US citizen spouse have a health insurance plan that the immigrant spouse can be added to?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Keep in mind you may have to wait an additional 12 months- many maternity covers you have to pay for 12 months before you can get pregnant and be covered.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Keep in mind you may have to wait an additional 12 months- many maternity covers you have to pay for 12 months before you can get pregnant and be covered.

I wanna have a baby and I can't wait two years, can the hospital do payment or like prepayment before the delivery , or any other way , I'm making 32k a year. Can I get any help without getting any trouble (i864). Thanks for your help

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wanna have a baby and I can't wait two years, can the hospital do payment or like prepayment before the delivery , or any other way , I'm making 32k a year. Can I get any help without getting any trouble (i864). Thanks for your help

Labor and delivery alone costs about $20,000. This isn't counting prenatal care, or the possibility of complications. My daughter had to be in NICU for 5 days at a cost of $8,000 per day. You can talk to the hospital about payment plans, but you can expect to be paying equal to a car payment per month for several years- and having a baby is expensive too.

Be responsible. If you can't afford to pay, then wait. The stress of worrying about bills isn't good for a pregnant mother.

Timeline

Labor and delivery alone costs about $20,000. This isn't counting prenatal care, or the possibility of complications. My daughter had to be in NICU for 5 days at a cost of $8,000 per day. You can talk to the hospital about payment plans, but you can expect to be paying equal to a car payment per month for several years- and having a baby is expensive too.

Be responsible. If you can't afford to pay, then wait. The stress of worrying about bills isn't good for a pregnant mother.

Thanks for the info, do you have any idea about emergency Medicaid? I was checking online , and I found out that they help any pregnant woman without health insurance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from Bringing Family Members... to Moving here... as the topic is not directly immigration related *****

I had a pregnancy and delivery here without insurance or medicaid, because we cannot get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. We pre-paid everything and got a 33% discount for that. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery, one night stay in hospital, and it still cost some 10'000 (could do it cheaper with a homebirth if you are comfortable with that). As mentioned above, any complications or a c-section (and thus staying in hospital for 3-5 days) will make costs sky-rocket.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

***** Moving from Bringing Family Members... to Moving here... as the topic is not directly immigration related *****

I had a pregnancy and delivery here without insurance or medicaid, because we cannot get health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. We pre-paid everything and got a 33% discount for that. I had an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery, one night stay in hospital, and it still cost some 10'000 (could do it cheaper with a homebirth if you are comfortable with that). As mentioned above, any complications or a c-section (and thus staying in hospital for 3-5 days) will make costs sky-rocket.

Wow you got a great deal! Just for OP's info, I was quoting the price of a C section with a 3 day stay in the Baltimore/Washington metro area (the cost of living here is very high, but OP said he was in Virginia, so it's probably close).

Timeline

I' m thinkig about taking my wife back home and deliver the baby, this situation is very stressful . No insurance wanna cover, and i' don't mind paying high premium . One insurance that cover maternity for individual plan , that's not fair

Timeline

I' m thinkig about taking my wife back home and deliver the baby, this situation is very stressful . No insurance wanna cover, and i' don't mind paying high premium . One insurance that cover maternity for individual plan , that's not fair

She's going to need to see a doctor the entire time she's pregnant. Make sure to get her a re entry permit if she's going to stay gone longer than a year. Keep in mind that newborn babies shouldn't fly on planes until they're about 2 months old.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Keep in mind that newborn babies shouldn't fly on planes until they're about 2 months old.

Well, that's not always true. I've cleared it with both my OB GYN and pediatrician here as well as two doctors (general practitioner) and my OB GYN back home to fly home to the US with my baby 2-4 weeks after birth, as long as his two week checkup comes back fine and there was no complications with him or myself during labor. We have to get back for work/school related reasons though, not to mention possibly rushing back for our interview, if I don't get it before I have to leave in July. Obviously waiting to fly with an infant is better, but there's nothing that prohibits it if the baby checks out healthy and if you've taken measures to prepare both yourself and your child for the trip.

That being said... OP, I don't understand why you would willingly put yourself, your wife and your future child through this, just to get there now instead of a year down the road? Our baby was not planned (and believe me, we took preventative measures, like we have been doing for years, and still I got pregnant), and being without insurance, having to go home for the birth, having to fly with an infant, is all extremely stressful! If I could have done it any other way, I would have. I sincerely hope you'll reconsider, and wait - not only for the financial reasons, but also for your child.

Married since 03/02/2011, AOS from F-1 visa, green card granted 05/24/2011.
Blessed with a healthy baby boy, 08/19/2011! We get to keep our family together! Thank you! smile.png

--

ROC

02/27/2013 - I-751 packet sent
03/04/2013 - NOA1
04/01/2013 - Biometrics

08/19/2013 - I-751 Approved

Depending on where you are in the US, every single state has a hospital that has some kind of plan that will help those who do not have insurance. Here in NY, there are hospitals that will treat you regardless of whether you can pay and have financial help for those who are not able to cover the full cost of Medical.

Pregnancy usually qualifies for emergency medicaid if you are undocumented but I am unsure how that works when you are in status especially with the I-864.

What I advise you to do is find out where your local Catholic/Methodist/City hospital is and find out about what plans they have that could cover you in the event of your wife falling pregnant or even needing medical care.

It can cost thousands to have a baby but that is not always the case especially if you find out what is available in your state. If you like let me know what state you are in (City would be better) and I will find out for you.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Oops I tried to edit and I guess I couldnt. I missed you stated your state already.

There was a thread by someone who was pregnant in Virginia. I believe she had found a hospital in VA that was willing to cover her whilst she was pregnant. I will try to find the thread and maybe you can speak to her (the OP) and find out what she had to do.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's a difference between knocking a woman up and being a real father. Part of that is responsibility and if there's no way for you to really afford having a baby yet, then you will need to wait that year.

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.