Eddyy

Europeans in the US

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

In June I will be moving to Boston, MA and start my US adventure with my fiancee. I have lived most of my life in Central Europe and I just wanted to see how people from this region have settled in the US.

September 2010 was the first time I visited the States and even though I liked it, I wasn't too impressed. What's your story?

Edited by Eddyy

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You will probably get more and/or better feedback if you aren't so vague. No doubt things will be different. What did you see here? Like? Not like? What are you comparing things to (where in Central Europe)? Etc.

We can't show the streets of gold to first timers. And the endless caviar and champagne requires a special key. whistling.gif

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Timeline

Central Europe . . . hmmm

Nothing as exciting as a guessing game on Saturday morning.

Okay, I go first: you are from the dark side, Romania or Bulgaria or Hungary perhaps?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Okay, I go first: you are from the dark side, Romania or Bulgaria or Hungary perhaps?

Close. I did some investigating. He is from Prague, Czech Republic:

czech_wordl_map.jpg

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

This title leaves a lot to be desired. So, I quess this topic is for all of those who check White as a race on the U.S. Census. :devil:

:lol: that's funny!

dark side hey? :lol: you are so funny!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

It's not that dark in Romania!!! We have electricity, you know!!! :yes: Oh, I get it, I get it! You are referring to the Black Sea!! You should go there! It's really pretty!

Edited by Romancita

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Timeline

Maybe Biserica Neagră ?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Maybe Biserica Neagră ?
Kate Smith made that Irving Berlin (a central-European name) song famous: "Godddddd bless Biserica..."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Maybe Biserica Neagră ?

I am impressed with your knowledge of Romania! :thumbs:

Now, seriously, Romania is a very pitoresque country with good things and bad things like any other country in the world. Perhaps we should be more careful when writing things like this. Also, I thought that this forum is supposed to help people with immigration adivce and some adjusting to their new life in the US tips, not to slap them over the wrist for wanting to find people from their home land. I am just saying......

Edited by Romancita

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

Timeline

Now, seriously, Romania is a very pitoresque country with good things and bad things like any other country in the world. Perhaps we should be more careful when writing things like this. Also, I thought that this forum is supposed to help people with immigration adivce and some adjusting to their new life in the US tips, not to slap them over the wrist for wanting to find people from their home land. I am just saying......

It's a beautiful place. Brasov is a lot of fun. My ex wife is from Romania so I got to see many different parts of the country. Even the Happy Cemetery in Sapanta. biggrin.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
the Happy Cemetery
Our favorite Chinese restaurant is called The Happy Pancreas, I think, si man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I hate to say this because i love my country just as much you do, romania is indeed a beautiful country, but as somone once said "romania is beautiful, it's a pitty there are people living in it". We get what we deserve, we think we are smart, when in fact we are not, we are a country who made all the wrong choices, and then blamed everybody else for the misfortunes. We need to start taking some responsability for our actions, and stop geting ofended when people speak the truth.

People make these kind of remarks because that's all they know about our country. Can i blame them? Nope...they say what they know...and it's not their fault for our bad reputation....

It's sad...but after we elected the drunken don't give a s##it president the second time around that's when i knew ...we are not just ignorant ..but we actually deserve what's coming to us...

You probbably think i am not a patriot and you are probably right, my country didn't give me any reason to be. :(

Edited by silvana.toma

Timeline

I hate to say this because i love my country just as much you do, romania is indeed a beautiful country, but as somone once said "romania is beautiful, it's a pitty there are people living in it". We get what we deserve, we think we are smart, when in fact we are not, we are a country who made all the wrong choices, and then blamed everybody else for the misfortunes. We need to start taking some responsability for our actions, and stop geting ofended when people speak the truth.

People make these kind of remarks because that's all they know about our country. Can i blame them? Nope...they say what they know...and it's not their fault for our bad reputation....

It's sad...but after we elected the drunken don't give a s##it president the second time around that's when i knew ...we are not just ignorant ..but we actually deserve what's coming to us...

You probbably think i am not a patriot and you are probably right, my country didn't give me any reason to be. :(

I agree with you somewhat. As I said, Romania is not a perfect country, but why shouldn't you take pride in the bright side of it and allow people to talk about the bad things only? This is what we, as Romanians, want people to know us by? When somebody asks you where you are from, what are you going to say?

Eddyy, I'd recommend having a browse of meetup groups for your language interests in the area you are going to live in.

E.g. if the Central Europe for you was German, you could browse http://german.meetup.com/ and search for where you'll live... Boston? They have Europhiles group, with nearly 1000 people in it. http://www.meetup.com/euro-76/ and German Expats in Boston group http://www.meetup.com/expatgerman-5/ ... and plenty of other groups for the other languages.

USAn Suomalaisten Foorumi <-- online place for the Finnish in US

Blog

938 days to get K-3.

AOS approved on day 1304.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.