otey918

Can I marry her while waiting for K1 visa?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Be careful of "doing a religious ceremony." It can be very risky. Even if you do that and get through the consulate interview and still get your visa, the beneficiary will be asked by CBP at the PoE "Are you legally free to marry." If the beneficiary cannot honestly, confidently, and sincerely answer that they are free to marry, CBP can and will cancel the K-1 visa right there.

It's never a good idea to enter into a course of action that will require you to say "well, technically ... " to a government official, particularly as regards something so important, like your future married life together in the US.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

The main requirement of a fiance Visa (which is what a K1 is) is that you get married within 90 days of entering the US on the Visa. How would you do that if you're already married? You'd no longer have a fiance. Be logical.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

I will meet my fiancee again on July ,can I marry her while we are waiting for our K1 visa ?

No you cant marry until she comes to the usa, if you do marry her you have to start you papers and time away over again.

You will have to file a new form I-130.

Nice pics and video

Be patient you will be together soon enought and you will have the rest of your life

I do wish you all the best...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

in the Philippines, you need to think on this. They are raised differently there. There is NO Divorce in the Philippines, just court annulment, and church annulment. A church marriage IS a recognized marriage in the Philippines. You have to apply for a wedding license and it has to be posted for 10 days on the bulletin board outside the office issuing the license. You can get married, but according to the US Visa requirements, it cannot be ANY Civil, church, or ceremony in which the country recognizes the wedding as legitimate. Any wedding in any country which the country recognizes as legitimate, nullifies the K-1 visa. Be careful in the Philippines. You can get married in the Philippines and file for divorce in America. But separation in the Philippines is hard. It is why many filipino men just desert the families versus getting an annulment. Know in her mind, once you are married it is for life. that is the way they are raised in the Philippines. Look at the family extremely closely.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Then who will come on the fiancee visa?

The answer. YES, you can marry her anytime you want. Then cancel the fiancee visa and file for a spouse visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I will meet my fiancee again on July ,can I marry her while we are waiting for our K1 visa ?

There is nothing legally preventing you from marrying her so long as you are both single. The issue is, after you are married you no longer are single and able to marry which is a requirement of the K1 visa at all points during the process until after entry in US on said visa. If you choose to marry before entry into the US with a K1 visa, then you abandon the time and effort for this and must file for a CR1 spouse visa.

James and Oksana

event.png

Traveled to Novosibirsk, Russia (thats in Siberia) over holidays

Engaged on ----------------- New Years

Send I-129F package ---- 1/15/2011

Package Received -------- 1/18/2011 10:13 AM signed for by J BRADSHAW

NOA1---------------------------1/20/2011

E-Notification of NOA1---- 1/24/2011 1:09 AM & check cashed, sent to CSC

Hard Copy NOA1------------1/27/2011

Surprise Visit Fiancée-----4/12/2011 - 4/18/2011 (see picture as she was shocked!)

NOA2---------------------------5/11/2011

Birthday Visit------------------5/18/2011 - 5/25/2011

VISA APPROVED!!!----------7/13/2011

• 3 years later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I cosign this.

What a thread bump!

Lee & William

8/2/2014 - Sent I-129F Petition with USPS by Express Mail    
8/4/2014 - I-129F delivered to dropbox    8/6/2014 - NOA1 Text/E-Mail received    8/11/2014 - Alien Registration Number Changed (Text/E-Mail) / NOA1 Letter received by Mail    3/16/2015 - NOA2 Text/E-Mail received (224 days)    3/20/2015 - Sent to NVC    3/31/2015 - NVC Received    4/1/2015 - Case Number Assigned       4/7/2015 - NVC Sent to Embassy    4/10/2015 - London Embassy Received    4/11/2015 - Medical     4/15/2015 - Packet 3 Received    4/12/2015 - Packet 3 Sent    4/23/2015 - Packet 4 Received    5/18/2015 - Interview - APPROVED     5/30/2015 - Visa collected from courier    6/1/2015 - POE    6/14/2015 - Wedding 💍💍

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.