Manny Pacquiao

Questions/Concerns about elderly immigration

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'll start off with my questions first:

What is the likelihood that an elder Filipino man (in his late 50's) with no money to his own name, no history of reliable employment for the last 15 years, and no job lined up here in the United States passes his interview at the U.S. Embassy in Manila?

This man I know, we'll call him Bong, has been waiting for the petition from his naturalized brother for the past 20+ years. He has been very eager for this day to finally arrive, and last year it did. He was informed that the process was going to finally begin to see if he qualified to become a permanent resident in the U.S. on the basis of his brother's citizenship.

Due to his current situation in the Philippines, I and many others of his close relatives have tried to strongly advise him that we do not feel it is wise for him to come here at this time. As implied above with my question, he has had no reliable job for the past 15+ years (his wife has a good secretarial job that supports the entire family). Similarly, he has no obvious marketable skills or talents. Despite his wife's income, they still live very modestly and are deeply in debt with no savings. The majority of his immediate family still resides in the Philippines. Although he claims he passed his medical examination with flying colors, he has mentioned in the past that he does not feel he is in top condition.

We have tried very hard to convince him of the realities of living in the U.S. We've mentioned the high health care costs, the unemployment rate, his age, his health, his lack of financial stability, everything... yet he continues to remain determined to "prove" that he can make it here in the U.S. We've tried reasoning that his family needs him. Doesn't work. We've tried saying that his family needs the money that he is going to require to live in the U.S. Doesn't work. We've tried explaining the despite this being his lifelong dream, he needs to consider the needs of his family first before his wants. Doesn't work.

To make a long story short, he is just extremely stubborn/determined to come and try to live in the U.S.

I wonder, though, if my worrying about what he'll do for money, what his family will do for money, and how he'll survive in the U.S. if he ever does make it is premature. I really wonder if, as I questioned above, he will even pass his interview with the Embassy in Manila?

Does anyone have any advice regarding these types of situations. Are any of the topics I mentioned above questioned by the immigration officials, or is it a pretty easy interview to pass despite one's personal and family situations?

As a worst case scenario, I've considered writing to the Embassy to inform them fully of this man's situation and requesting that they deny him permanent residency. Would something like this work?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

-Worred in the U.S.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The petitioner/sponsor will be on the hook.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

Yeah. the issue would be with the petitioners employment history and income.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Yeah. the issue would be with the petitioners employment history and income.

This may be getting more towards politics, but doesn't that seem irresponsible of the USCIS? Unemployment in the U.S. is soaring through the roof and they don't care at all that another person is going to come here and contribute either directly or indirectly to the unemployment rate?

Anyway, thanks for your guys' answers.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Maybe this is the "break" that he needs, he probably didn't have any reliable job back home because of lack of opportunity. It's already hard enough to find a "job" back home if you are young and have a college degree what more if you are older and don't have any degree/higher education at all. I agree with the previous posters that the petitioner is on the hook for all this. I think the interview is just a "formality" I have not heard of a denial from an F4 petition(but I could be wrong). My parents are kinda on the same boat, they are on their mid 60's and my uncle's petition just got current and they will have their interview soon. They have been retired for awhile now the only reason they are migrating is for my youngest brother's sake. He has aged out and they are trying to file for his visa too basing from CSPA. Anyways, maybe this person's intent is to have opportunities for his family. Hopefully , things will work out for him.

Timeline

Manny, Lexlee we are all on the same boat. My Aunt's petition for my Dad will be current next month and my parents are in their 60's already. They lost hope already because they are too old because the damn petition is taking forever. But I told them to just try it out. If they dont like it they can always go back to the Philippines. The most important thing is that they have their green cards. My Dad has been retired for like 3 years now in the Philippines and is already receiving his pension. The key here is the GreenCard! Just wait til' they get it and once they get it tell them to go back to the Philippines if thats what they want. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Unless he's got minor children, he isn't going to be eligible for any sort of government benefits to help him survive in the US. If he's got minor children then he'd be eligible for food stamps, but there's a chance the government will go after his sponsoring brother for reimbursement.

At his age and with his job skills, the odds of him finding work are slim. Maybe a part time gig at McDonald's or working as a greeter at Wal-Mart, since both of those companies have programs for older workers. We're talking minimum wage, part-time work, with zero benefits. No retirement. No health insurance.

He will not get enough quarters of work credits through Social Security to be eligible for retirement benefits before he's old enough to retire. He can look forward to probably working the rest of his life at one of the crappy jobs mentioned above.

Unless his brother is comfortable financially, and intends to support him and and his family, he's going to be a poor man in the US probably for the rest of his life. Being poor in the US is considerably more miserable than being poor in the PI. At least in the PI he'd have plenty of company, and you can survive in the PI on substantially less money than it takes to survive in the US.

If he's bound and determined to come to the US then tell his brother to save enough money for return tickets. He'll probably want to go back within a year.

Manny, Lexlee we are all on the same boat. My Aunt's petition for my Dad will be current next month and my parents are in their 60's already. They lost hope already because they are too old because the damn petition is taking forever. But I told them to just try it out. If they dont like it they can always go back to the Philippines. The most important thing is that they have their green cards. My Dad has been retired for like 3 years now in the Philippines and is already receiving his pension. The key here is the GreenCard! Just wait til' they get it and once they get it tell them to go back to the Philippines if thats what they want. Good luck!

If he moves back to the Philippines then he can't keep his green card. A permanent resident must reside in the US.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Let him try his luck in the US, if he tries his best God will do the rest, don't ever try to be the devil by writing to stop his dream... It sounds odd to hear this but it's the truth, his persistence will definately pay off, most people who have that kind of zeal in US always make it, unfortunately for him his zeal doesn't do no good for him in th Pl...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let him try his luck in the US, if he tries his best God will do the rest, don't ever try to be the devil by writing to stop his dream... It sounds odd to hear this but it's the truth, his persistence will definately pay off, most people who have that kind of zeal in US always make it, unfortunately for him his zeal doesn't do no good for him in th Pl...

It will take several years of hard work just to acquire the skill or knowledge he'll need for an entry level job. He'll be well into his 60's by then, and competing for that entry level job with kids who are 1/3 his age. The reality in the US is that it becomes a lot harder to land a new job after you hit your 50's, even with a boatload of knowledge and years of experience.

Zeal is great. It's a necessary element for success. I just don't think he's got enough time to climb that ladder.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

What is the likelihood that an elder Filipino man (in his late 50's) with no money to his own name, no history of reliable employment for the last 15 years, and no job lined up here in the United States passes his interview at the U.S. Embassy in Manila?

This man I know, we'll call him Bong, has been waiting for the petition from his naturalized brother for the past 20+ years. He has been very eager for this day to finally arrive, and last year it did. He was informed that the process was going to finally begin to see if he qualified to become a permanent resident in the U.S. on the basis of his brother's citizenship.

Due to his current situation in the Philippines, I and many others of his close relatives have tried to strongly advise him that we do not feel it is wise for him to come here at this time. As implied above with my question, he has had no reliable job for the past 15+ years (his wife has a good secretarial job that supports the entire family). Similarly, he has no obvious marketable skills or talents. Despite his wife's income, they still live very modestly and are deeply in debt with no savings. The majority of his immediate family still resides in the Philippines. Although he claims he passed his medical examination with flying colors, he has mentioned in the past that he does not feel he is in top condition.

We have tried very hard to convince him of the realities of living in the U.S. We've mentioned the high health care costs, the unemployment rate, his age, his health, his lack of financial stability, everything... yet he continues to remain determined to "prove" that he can make it here in the U.S. We've tried reasoning that his family needs him. Doesn't work. We've tried saying that his family needs the money that he is going to require to live in the U.S. Doesn't work. We've tried explaining the despite this being his lifelong dream, he needs to consider the needs of his family first before his wants. Doesn't work.

To make a long story short, he is just extremely stubborn/determined to come and try to live in the U.S.

I wonder, though, if my worrying about what he'll do for money, what his family will do for money, and how he'll survive in the U.S. if he ever does make it is premature. I really wonder if, as I questioned above, he will even pass his interview with the Embassy in Manila?

Does anyone have any advice regarding these types of situations. Are any of the topics I mentioned above questioned by the immigration officials, or is it a pretty easy interview to pass despite one's personal and family situations?

As a worst case scenario, I've considered writing to the Embassy to inform them fully of this man's situation and requesting that they deny him permanent residency. Would something like this work?

-Worred in the U.S.

Just live and let live!

Don´t rat out!

:crying::crying::crying:

Jim, as you can see those who wants the inteneded immigrate to live and let live, are probably in their 20 or 30. Those who have lived and knows how hash relatity is, are trying to talk some good commmon sense into the family. The US streets are'nt paved of gold, and you are correct the Uncle will get tired of supporting his brother, and will kick him out. If that same individual had the desire to work, he would have found something in the Phil to work at. People don't change just because they have the opportunity to come to the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

This may be getting more towards politics, but doesn't that seem irresponsible of the USCIS? Unemployment in the U.S. is soaring through the roof and they don't care at all that another person is going to come here and contribute either directly or indirectly to the unemployment rate?

Anyway, thanks for your guys' answers.

Its not politics, USCIS does not look at the unemployment history or if the person would add any value to economy or not.

Person has filed on bases of their family, US lets the immediate family member enter as they believe families should not be kept apart.

It would be upto his sponsor who will be responsible for the cost of his living and cost of his medicare.

Timeline

-Worred in the U.S.

Timeline

-Worred in the U.S.

Hi,

first of all i dis agree of your plans in writing to the embassy. You said going to the US is the longlife dream of this man(bong)and he waited for more than 20 years, now time has come why would you try to ruin his dream.Who knows he might change (his attitudes) for the good when he gets to the US. Don't just the book by its cover. EVERYBODY needs a second chance.So please calm down and relax. Just wait and see ok? Give this man a chance,afterall he is also a son of "GOD"..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.