Matt_Stevens

My wife is applying for US Citizenship

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi gang. i have no idea if any of you were around here circa 2006 to 2008, but i thought I would just post here anyway and tell you a success story. My wife and I met in 2005 and were engaged in Saigon in May of 2006. Anh arrived summer 2006 after an easy K1 process (shockingly so), we were married in August of that year and while we have had our ups and downs (oh have we ever) we are happily living just outside of NYC.

It is now time for Anh to apply for US Citizenship so we are starting the research on that.

How ironic that at this time she and I have multiple offers back in Saigon that are financially attractive. The economy here SUCKS. It really does. But now that Anh has years of experience working in NYC at a wonderful job, she is quite attractive to companies back home. Her current company would even pay her to work in Vietnam, at her current salary, so that they could keep her on board. That would be insane.

For me... well, there is teaching English (ugh) but there is also the possibility of doing some film work in Asia. I'm working on that now. Fingers crossed.

So we are looking at the options carefully. No matter what, we will get Anh her US Passport. But I gotta tell ya, I have a feeling we may move to Saigon by the end of the year and live the high life. Our standard of living over there would be through the roof and it would be easier to have children with her parent's help. They are retiring and would be 24/7 nannies. I do not want to raise kids in NYC.

Edited by Matt_Stevens

Different strokes for different folks. If her family in VN has good connection with the current VC regime, then by all means, feel free to make a living there.

I'm NOT one of those hard-core "chong cong" folks (in Houston they're pretty strong with this sensitive political issue). But I totally do NOT agree with the current way the VN gov't handle the "free speech, communication and religious practice" problem.

I have lots of friends who often tell me this "Who cares. As long as I have a good job, happy family, I'd be careless about what is happening in VN". I know I'm a nobody and probably can't do a thing to change anything in VN. But I would never allow myself and my immediately family to be near that communist regime.

I have lost family members to that regime and we (my family and my wife) ran away from them. The last thing I will do is "voluntarily" moving back and living with them.

One day in the future if my wife decides to do the same like yours, that'll be the breaking point for me. I'd rather be poor in the US than living luxuriously under that regime.

Just my opinion, nothing personal against anyone in particular.

Edit to add: There's a saying "An com quoc gia, tho ma cong san". Ask your wife what it means.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Different strokes for different folks. If her family in VN has good connection with the current VC regime, then by all means, feel free to make a living there.

I'm NOT one of those hard-core "chong cong" folks (in Houston they're pretty strong with this sensitive political issue). But I totally do NOT agree with the current way the VN gov't handle the "free speech, communication and religious practice" problem.

I have lots of friends who often tell me this "Who cares. As long as I have a good job, happy family, I'd be careless about what is happening in VN". I know I'm a nobody and probably can't do a thing to change anything in VN. But I would never allow myself and my immediately family to be near that communist regime.

I have lost family members to that regime and we (my family and my wife) ran away from them. The last thing I will do is "voluntarily" moving back and living with them.

One day in the future if my wife decides to do the same like yours, that'll be the breaking point for me. I'd rather be poor in the US than living luxuriously under that regime.

Just my opinion, nothing personal against anyone in particular.

Edit to add: There's a saying "An com quoc gia, tho ma cong san". Ask your wife what it means.

I, on the other hand, love all my Vietnamese people no matter where they are at and whether they are communist or not. Hate consumes you and makes you bitter. Forgiving those that have wronged you and Love all humankind will make this world a better place to live in. Our religions have thought us that. Preaching hate and spreading propaganda doesn't really change anything (and I'm not saying that that is what you are doing) but it makes us go backward to prejudicial times. The War has been over a long time ago and we need to move forward instead of dwelling in the past. We can only change the present and the future but we can not do anything to change the past. Every government have their flaws. Nothing is perfect just like how we humans are not perfect.

Just my opinion.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I, on the other hand, love all my Vietnamese people no matter where they are at and whether they are communist or not. Hate consumes you and makes you bitter. Forgiving those that have wronged you and Love all humankind will make this world a better place to live in. Our religions have thought us that. Preaching hate and spreading propaganda doesn't really change anything (and I'm not saying that that is what you are doing) but it makes us go backward to prejudicial times. The War has been over a long time ago and we need to move forward instead of dwelling in the past. We can only change the present and the future but we can not do anything to change the past. Every government have their flaws. Nothing is perfect just like how we humans are not perfect.

Just my opinion.

:thumbs:

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Hi gang. i have no idea if any of you were around here circa 2006 to 2008, but i thought I would just post here anyway and tell you a success story. My wife and I met in 2005 and were engaged in Saigon in May of 2006. Anh arrived summer 2006 after an easy K1 process (shockingly so), we were married in August of that year and while we have had our ups and downs (oh have we ever) we are happily living just outside of NYC.

It is now time for Anh to apply for US Citizenship so we are starting the research on that.

How ironic that at this time she and I have multiple offers back in Saigon that are financially attractive. The economy here SUCKS. It really does. But now that Anh has years of experience working in NYC at a wonderful job, she is quite attractive to companies back home. Her current company would even pay her to work in Vietnam, at her current salary, so that they could keep her on board. That would be insane.

For me... well, there is teaching English (ugh) but there is also the possibility of doing some film work in Asia. I'm working on that now. Fingers crossed.

So we are looking at the options carefully. No matter what, we will get Anh her US Passport. But I gotta tell ya, I have a feeling we may move to Saigon by the end of the year and live the high life. Our standard of living over there would be through the roof and it would be easier to have children with her parent's help. They are retiring and would be 24/7 nannies. I do not want to raise kids in NYC.

Matt I remember you and it has been awhile. I was pretty new here back then. (This is actually my third screen name) I think it can be an awesome opportunity for both of you. The only thing I would worry about is that she seems set up well but I do hope that you can find your niche there and be able to keep busy yourself. You mentioned that you could teach English or work in films and I hope so. VN is a great country and all but of course we need each of us to have our own way in the world or we will get bored and then resentful. No matter what y'all decide I will of course keep the both of you in my prayers and wish you both the best.kicking.gif

Timeline

We have been making long term plans for a year now that involve spending much if not all of our time there.... Construction should be completed in a few weeks, but I want to wait until my son heads to college before we spend a great deal of time there.... her naturalization will probably be the trigger as well...

As Curtis noted, staying busy can make or break things... Thuy is having a tough time staying busy and its not for lack of things to do... just that things are not all the same as she is used to.... I know it will take some getting used to over there for me as well since I am used to only a month or two at a shot so far but my VN is getting better so that may help... Being able to keep my same positions with the Universities and live there is a huge plus for me... so the work thing is a non issue...

You could possibly get a position teaching film there.... depending on your education here... there is not as much $ in teaching english there as another member has noted... but compared to the cost of living there its a bunch of money... the catch is being certified to teach ESOl courses before you go there...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

the vietnam war was over like 35 years ago, many members of my family lost their life because of it, yet i do not have hate in me for those sins of our past.the vietnammese communist won the war and they are trying to rebuild vietnam as best as they can, for that i think they should be given a chance.

living and working in vietnam do not mean you are supporting communist , it mean you are helping the vietnamese people moving to a better life.one can help by bringing their western way of living and working over there, and show the rest of the vietnamese how it being done in the western world.the fall of saigon was like 35 years ago ,let it rest in peace , we lost.and matt, becareful with that film making ideal of your , that line of work will alway draw a lot of heats from the commi , teaching english is fine , or become a tour guide lol.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/vietnam/Ly-03152010142919.html

http://www.nowpublic.com/police_quickly_covered_father_lys_mouth_when_he_said_the_law_of_jungle_at_the_communist_trial_on_03_30_2007

You want me and my family to live in a country that handles people who just want to voice their opinions (non violently, just like Dr MLK) like this?

Remember, under current VNese law, even after you have become a citizen of another country, ie USA, you are STILL a VNese citizen, unless you have received written approval from the appropriate authority from the VN communist regime agreeing letting you FREE.

Thanks but no thanks.

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

one post removed for insulting another member. further insults will result in a thread ban or worse.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

one post removed for insulting another member. further insults will result in a thread ban or worse.

What's the matter? Trying to protect commie babies in here? Oh, that's right. I forgot. Big fan of Obama's commie.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/vietnam/Ly-03152010142919.html

http://www.nowpublic.com/police_quickly_covered_father_lys_mouth_when_he_said_the_law_of_jungle_at_the_communist_trial_on_03_30_2007

You want me and my family to live in a country that handles people who just want to voice their opinions (non violently, just like Dr MLK) like this?

Remember, under current VNese law, even after you have become a citizen of another country, ie USA, you are STILL a VNese citizen, unless you have received written approval from the appropriate authority from the VN communist regime agreeing letting you FREE.

Thanks but no thanks.

A Viet Kieu is not any more free to voice their opinions in the US than they are in Vietnam. All of those people you see on TV protesting in front of the VN consulates in the US will never be able to return to Vietnam. They've cut off their ties with their family and friends just to make a political statement in the US. What's more, the VN government doesn't care what those Viet Kieu say in the US because nobody in VN will ever see those protests, and those Viet Kieu will never see their families again. Vietnam won't change until the people who live in Vietnam decide to change it.

There's a helluva lot more to life than worrying about what the government is doing. For the vast majority of people in Vietnam, the government has very little effect on their daily lives. They work, go home, and spend time with their family and friends. They also get a lot more pleasure from simple things than most Americans do, and generally are pretty happy people. When they do have to interact with the government then they play the game in order to make it as fast and painless as possible, and then they get on with their lives.

Most of the Viet Kieu I know are not happy with the VN government, but most of the Americans I know are not happy with the American government either. The difference is that in America you can complain loudly about it to your heart's content, but the net result is the same - nothing really changes. You can let it eat you up, or you can focus on what's the most important. One of the Viet Kieu I know spent two years in a re-education camp after the war. He still goes back to VN every year to spend time with his family, and he's one of the happiest people I know. I've asked him how he can go back and face the same government that beat him daily in that camp. He says the government didn't beat him - individual people did that. The guy checking his passport at the airport might work for that same government, but that guy didn't do anything to him personally, and there's no reason he should hold a grudge against him for what someone else did.

Do you know the serenity prayer? It goes like this...

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I've never seen a better roadmap for a happy life. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

The events of this morning really tie into this... Thuy and I go to the local VN market every Saturday as do many other VN families here... The only VN market around and I am very good friends with the family that owns the store... They have been here a long time and have put the past behind them... they go back every few years and enjoy the time with friends and relatives.

Today when we were there an old man heard Thuy talking with a friend and recognized her northern accent... He had to say are you from the north? When Thuy said yes.. he went into a long tyrade about his time in prison after the war... Thuy was born in 79 and had nothing to do with any of it and it has really stuck with her all day.. She cant understand why when someone meets they talk about this rather than the great weather today or something happy from the here and now...

The system over there is alot better than it has been in the past and as Jim said there is no system in place that has 100% of the country happy with it... Those that dwell on what happened over a generation ago are really doing a number on thier quality of life... The regime there has gone through significant change... Speak out against the regime here in the US and see what would happen... If you are not someone of wealth you could likely end up being held as a combatant and with the laws in place you would not have to be charged to be held forever...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Scott looking to add some flair to his vest. whistling.gif

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.