misswhy

Wedding At 1st Physical Meeting

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi everyone.. been reading a lot of the posts here but haven't really found too much info that might apply to us. Was hoping that some of the more seasoned VJ'ers here would analyze our situation and give opinions.

Here's the deal - me and my now husband met online in 2008 and have had uninterrupted communication in the form of video, e-mail, snail mail, chat and phone since then.

The topic of marriage had come up maybe a year into the relationship, because that was basically the goal for both of us. We really got to know each other completely before arranging our first trip in person, just to be sure that we would both be as compatible as we've been all along. To me, the trip just felt like a confirmation to what I already felt strongly about... and I was right!

We went on our trip and all was great - even better than expected. We spent a month together overseas and decided to get married while we were there. We could not see any reason to wait, so we didn't.. and went ahead with a civil ceremony.

We are not in a position to have a big wedding party for a few reasons. Financial, logistical, personal.. honestly, we'd rather spend our money on some more great trips together, not a big, expensive party.

We just filed our I-130. We will have another trip together this summer, but obviously we have to work things around our finances and what our employers will allow.

Does anyone think that this step to get married on our first trip would appear to be a red flag/problem?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

it can be, IMO, IIF that's the ONLY trip made between I-130 initial submittal and interview dates.

OTOH, 2 to 3 trips after I-130 submittal, prior to interview date, trumps a lot of silliness with the VOs at the IV unit.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

I don't see it as a problem.. You have known each other since 2008..You like many people here have fallen in love over the internet.

I met my wife online January of 2009.. We hit it off instantly.. We discussed marriage after about 6 months of talking everyday..I went to Georgia, November of 2010 and after we met we knew we were soulmates!!!!!!!!! I talked to the American Embassy and they told us we had 2 options.. Fiance Visa or CR1 Visa..

I was to leave Georgia in about a week and departing we knew it would be difficult. We decided marriage to seal the bond .. We knew the visa process would take a long time and the separation would be difficult.. So we chose marriage..

I think NVC and USCIS just are more concerned how long the relationship has been.. My intuition told me my wife was the one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

it can be, IMO, IIF that's the ONLY trip made between I-130 initial submittal and interview dates.

OTOH, 2 to 3 trips after I-130 submittal, prior to interview date, trumps a lot of silliness with the VOs at the IV unit.

I hope NVC realize trips of these magnitudes cost 3-5k........Hmm maybe the K-1(fiance visa) visa would have been easier.. They require one meeting

Edited by darkdancer333

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am really glad somone asked this question. My husband and i have known each other for 20yrs, infact we were high school sweethearts but we broke up and went our separate ways, had n't seen nor spoken to each for about 15 of those 20 yrs. We eventually reconciled and rekindled our relationship and on his 1st trip back here in years, we got married. So i have been wondering how they would view this, so thank all for making feel somewhat better.

18/02/11 - Touched

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Does anyone think that this step to get married on our first trip would appear to be a red flag/problem?

It sometimes is a red flag but it's just one data point among many. You also spent a month together as a part of that visit. FYI, my wife and I married on the third day of our first visit because we couldn't get the paperwork completed on the second day. I visited again a few months later. Concentrate on interview preparation and evidence of a bona fide relationship. Another visit or two is always a good idea. The strongest evidence of a bona fide relationship is the time you spend together in person.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am really glad somone asked this question. My husband and i have known each other for 20yrs, infact we were high school sweethearts but we broke up and went our separate ways, had n't seen nor spoken to each for about 15 of those 20 yrs. We eventually reconciled and rekindled our relationship and on his 1st trip back here in years, we got married. So i have been wondering how they would view this, so thank all for making feel somewhat better.

oh!!! he has been back here twice since we got married in July. He was back in August and for christmas and will be back next in May.

18/02/11 - Touched

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

There's is absolutely nothing wring with the way you are thinking! Personally speaking, my situation was similiar and my wife is now here with me. You just need to understand that there may be several hurdles to overcome.

I visited my wife in her country 3x prior to filing. I visited 2x additional times afterwards and one of them to her interview in Kenya. Yes, the costs are astronomical and arifare not being the most. All of the logical questions that a CO is going to think of will be asked! You and your spouse will have to be totally on the page and submit/provide tons of evidence of a bonafide relationship which is costly...

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

It sometimes is a red flag but it's just one data point among many. You also spent a month together as a part of that visit. FYI, my wife and I married on the third day of our first visit because we couldn't get the paperwork completed on the second day. I visited again a few months later. Concentrate on interview preparation and evidence of a bona fide relationship. Another visit or two is always a good idea. The strongest evidence of a bona fide relationship is the time you spend together in person.

Wow - you guys really beat us to it! But I guess if you are sure about what you want, there is no reason to wait and incur more delay and expense. You have to do what's right for you.

We don't think much of it, but we do have a bit of an age difference that might be viewed as a factor..he's the younger one, i'm the late-bloomer. I've never experienced half the things my friends in my age group have, so I relate to none of it. In many ways, both of us are just starting out.. all of this stuff is new for both of us.

You're right - more visits are better. And believe me, I wasn't even home from the airport after the first trip when I was thinking about the next! Can't wait to get back there and harass the poor guy some more... ;) By the way, I've read some of your other posts and always found them to be some of the most insightful & intelligent answers on this board. Thanks for your advice - it is appreciated!

Edited by lio and me

Timeline

I am only allowed 2 weeks vacation a year.. My next vacation is not due until September.. By then Visa should be done.. I guess it varies from consulate to consulate.. I was told all is good!!!!!!!!!

You won't know whether all is good until she arrives in the USA. Hopefully, all will be good.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

You won't know whether all is good until she arrives in the USA. Hopefully, all will be good.

Georgian Consulate shouldnt be a problem.. I was invited to a dinner engagement when I was there on my visit..We met the ambassador and many other good people.. We discussed the pro's and con's of CR1 vs Fiance.. Once we get to the consulate stage I think all should be fine..

Also I have all the emails between myself and the consulate.. We have been discussing visa's for 2 years :blink:

Georgian Consulate shouldnt be a problem.. I was invited to a dinner engagement when I was there on my visit..We met the ambassador and many other good people.. We discussed the pro's and con's of CR1 vs Fiance.. Once we get to the consulate stage I think all should be fine..

Also I have all the emails between myself and the consulate.. We have been discussing visa's for 2 years :blink:

what does an invitation to a dinner have to do with pushbark's statement? Just curious. You mention money but my trips to Colombia cost 6k each and I did them every 2 months. Marriage costs money and so does love. It's not the price of the trip, its that you made the sacrifice to do the trip.

Edited by Wayne and Claudia

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Timeline

what does an invitation to a dinner have to do with pushbark's statement? Just curious. You mention money but my trips to Colombia cost 6k each and I did them every 2 months. Marriage costs money and so does love. It's not the price of the trip, its that you made the sacrifice to do the trip.

In expect he thinks that since the couple met the Ambassador and others, that their bona fides are pretty clear. He's probably right.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

In expect he thinks that since the couple met the Ambassador and others, that their bona fides are pretty clear. He's probably right.

I met George W Bush and knew som Colombian officials but it didn't help us, lol. I guess I gave to the wrong party :bonk:

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.