5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Dear VJers

My questions concern the way one fills up I-485 Form:

1) On Part 1 ("Information About You") where it asks you to put your "Family Name" what do you put: your name or the name of your husband since you got married? e.g.: my name is Emanon. I got married and my husband's name is Myhuby; WHAT name do I put there?

2) On Part 2 ("Prossecing Information"), it asks for the "Nonimmigrant Visa Number": is this the number that the visa on my passport has on top right, under the name of "CONTROL NUMBER" (which is a 12 digit number)?

3) On that same Section but on page 4, the boxes that I am supposed to click "NO" can NOT be clicked (I have no idea why, but the program doesn't allow me to click those, though the others on the rest of the pages it allows me to click them). Can I put an "X" with a black pen?

4) The "proofs of evidence" (joint bank accounts, photos, etc.) have to be sent with the whole A.O.S. Package to the Chicago, IL office or I simply gather them and bring them to the interview only?

5) Do we both need to fill up the G-325A Form?

6) On G-325A Form, should my fiancee put her family name or my name since we got married?

7) My fiancee's Birth Certificate has all the info written in boxes (something like the Forms we are asked to fill from U.S.C.I.S. that every name and data are put inside a box). I will make the translation and I was wondering if I should put all the translated things into boxes as well, same way they appear on her original Birth Certificate or should I do a regular translation (without boxes)?

I 'd like to apologize for all the mess and the loss of time I might have brought to those willing to help me find the answers. I am anxious as one can not imagine with all this paperwork and twice as nervous as one can be because I don't have but a couple more days before I leave for an overseas trip (my job is too unpredicted on what concerns its schedule) and I want to fill the Forms on time, so all answers that can be of any kinda help, are greatly appreciated. I REALLY appreciate all your kind help in answering these questions guys and girls; I REALLY do.

May the good Lord bless you and your families.

1. Family name, refers to that last name you were given at birth

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. collect for interview (do the I-485 form instructions state to send evidence?)

5. no, only that one applying for green card

6. you can regular translation without boxes

229248abu3e9v4w9.gif

• AOS Status
  • 03-10-11 Day 00 = AOS FedEx overnight
  • 03-11-11 Day 01 = AOS at Chicago Lockbox FedEx Confirmation
  • 04-11-11 Day 32 = AOS Text/eMail Confirmation
  • 04-14-11 Day 35 = NOA (EAD & AOS)
  • 04-15-11 Day 36 = Bio-Metrics NOA
  • 05-10-11 Day 61 = Bio-Metrics Appointment
  • 05-17-11 Day 68 = Submitted Request to Correct Name on 485 & 765
  • 05-23-11 Day 74 = Status online shows I-765 (EAD) Approved
  • 06-02-11 Day 84 = EAD arrived in the mail
  • 06-02-11 Day 84 = Went to SSA office (name wrong on Master Immigration List)
  • 06-12-11 Day 95 = InfoPass to correct name
  • 06-12-11 Day 95 = SSA office again Pending name update
  • 06-??-11 Day ?? = Received Social Security Card
  • 08-03-11 Day 146 = AOS Interview

1. You put YOUR legal name - if you legally changed your name when you got married, then use that name. If you didn't, you use your maiden name.

Your last name does not automatically change due to marriage, you need to legally change it.

2. I don't have my visa in front of me right now, but it is not the control number. If I remember correctly, visa number is printed in red and somewhere around the bottom right hand side of the visa. Google it, I'm sure there are images online that point you to the visa number.

3. Yes, you can fill them out by hand

4. You have to send SOME additional evidence of bona fide marriage in addition to the actual marriage certificate with the AOS package, and then bring more to the interview. What you choose to send now and how much is up to you. Bank account info, joint credit cards, joint lease and a couple of pictures seem to eb among the most common proofs.

5. If you are only filling out the I-485, then only the intending immigrant fills out G-325A.

6. Again, whatever is the legal name.

7. Doesn't matter. Main thing is that the translation is 100% accurate. Remember to attach the little note with the translation in which you state that you are fluent in both languages.

Edited by Mrs.Finland-USA

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you changed your name when you got married, then you put your married name on the forms. If you want the green card in your married name, then you should use that one, as it will come in the name you use on the forms. It has another spot where you list the exact name that is on your I-94. Also, when it asks for other names you have used, you can put your maiden name there.

The only evidence you need to send when filing from a K-1 is the certified marriage certificate. Bring other evidence to your interview, if you have one.

Read this guide from another VJ member. It is very helpful: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/

Edited by Jay-Kay

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. Family name, refers to that last name you were given at birth

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. collect for interview (do the I-485 form instructions state to send evidence?)

5. no, only that one applying for green card

6. you can regular translation without boxes

Wrong.

If the OP wants the GC in the new married name the MARRIED name must be in the "family name" section. If it specifically said "Maiden name" or "name before marriage" then it's your name at birth.. but neither of those options exist. The OP must write the former name in the "former name" section.

1. MARRIED name, if that's the name you want on the GC. Write the maiden name in "former/other names"

2. NO! The Non-immigrant visa number is the red number on the visa.

3. Totally fine.

4. Collect them for IF you have an interview. Not all K1's do

5. No. Only the applicant (immigrant)

6. MARRIED name.

7. I don't know about this one.

This AOS thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/235331-aos-ead-ap-from-k1-the-aussie-way-doc-list-included/ should help you out.

Good luck.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.