FormerlyKnownAs

Sending Money

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

For a variety of reasons, I find myself occasionally wanting to send money to my fiance (in Cairo). As my topic subtitle asks, I would like some input on whether this will raise a red flag, if it is legal, etc. We will be getting married this year, filing CR1 at some point, if that makes a difference. Also, if there is a "best" method for sending money to Egypt, I would love to hear input.

Please no comments or speculation on whether I am being hustled, swindled, etc. Sometimes engaged couples have purchases they would like to jointly contribute to, let's leave it at that.

Thank you all in advance.

Passing harsh judgment on those you don't know says nothing of the judged and everything of the judge.

Filed: Timeline

I know many people who have sent money. I sent money to the USA to my fiance for the visa fees....I would think this way round would have raised more a flag than the other way round. Though I am not sure if it is actually classed a red flag, I am sure some others will post and let you know.

I don't think you will be judged, for sending money. At least I hope not. It could be that you are helping with the cost of the interview or her medical.

We use xe.com to transfer currency all the time; albeit between UK and US but also US and UK

There is nothing wrong with sending money. I send money to my husband when necessary. The embassy will not know about it unless they ask.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

For a variety of reasons, I find myself occasionally wanting to send money to my fiance (in Cairo). As my topic subtitle asks, I would like some input on whether this will raise a red flag, if it is legal, etc. We will be getting married this year, filing CR1 at some point, if that makes a difference. Also, if there is a "best" method for sending money to Egypt, I would love to hear input.

Please no comments or speculation on whether I am being hustled, swindled, etc. Sometimes engaged couples have purchases they would like to jointly contribute to, let's leave it at that.

Thank you all in advance.

I have sent my fiance money in Cairo before and the best way I think is to do it western union. I don't think it will raise any red flags, unless of course it's a substantial amount of money. Also, we were never asked about it during the interview and I'm the type of person that doesn't offer information if it can be used both ways (against me or in my favor), unless I'm directly asked about it.

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline

I've sent money via Western Union to my spouse on a bi-weekly basis and it is actually what helped to get our visa approved. I think no exchange or financial co-mingling causes more issues. I agree with the other response that the amount, if too large might be a red flag.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

MY 2 CENTS... Ahmed sends me money from Cairo via western union. After trying bank transfers, which didnt work, and reloadable cards, we have settled in on using western union.

You can of course get a reloadable card and send it to him, which you are cutting out many fees, but if you want to send the money now, I would definately recommend western union.

Hope I helped! Also I pray your doing well! Best wishes!

Amber

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

There is nothing wrong with sending money. I send money to my husband when necessary. The embassy will not know about it unless they ask.

The embassy can know about it because the transfer agencies are required under the Patriot Act to report it to the Feds.

Western Union gives the recipient more of a hassle than does Moneygram.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Tamer and I used Western Union and never had any issues. He sent me some when I needed it and he had it and vice versa. We kept the receipts to show so-mingling of finances....not sure it helped but we saved the receipts. It was never a huge amount of money. He actually sent me money to cover the cost of passports for my children. I would recommend Western Union to anyone sending to Egypt. Not sure how that will work now, if they are back up and running normally.

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

We have found that MoneyGram is cheaper than Western Union - the fee is about 20% less (at least to Palestine.) MG also offers an additional discount to repeat customers. Never had any problems or hassles at either end.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Money gram is cheaper than Western Union. Walmart has Moneygram inside at the service desk. You can send money to many countries.

I've only used western union one time and there was a huge problem. It was like $100 being sent I think it was for his moms bday or something but I sent it to Adam. Well his name is sooooo common all 4 actually that someone else has the same or similar name and is not allowed to receive money through western union. My transaction of $100 was blocked at first and had to verify alot of stuff before they unblocked it and let him pick it up. Stuck with Moneygram after that and never had a problem.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Money gram is cheaper than Western Union. Walmart has Moneygram inside at the service desk. You can send money to many countries.

I've only used western union one time and there was a huge problem. It was like $100 being sent I think it was for his moms bday or something but I sent it to Adam. Well his name is sooooo common all 4 actually that someone else has the same or similar name and is not allowed to receive money through western union. My transaction of $100 was blocked at first and had to verify alot of stuff before they unblocked it and let him pick it up. Stuck with Moneygram after that and never had a problem.

We had the same issue with Western Union. Ironically, I sent the money to hubby while I was still in Morocco, and was there to verify who I was and who he was. We still had to wait an hour before they would give us OUR money, which was bad enough, but my sweet MIL was with us and I wasn't happy that they wasted her time, too. After that, I gave him an ATM of his own. And, yea, Moneygram is much cheaper, too.

Edited by Sofiyya

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Western Union only charges $19.99 for up to $1000 or maybe even more than that. I don't like Money Gram, but thats just my personal opinion. Also, I wired $100 into Mohamed's acct once, but it cost me the same as western union, and took 2-3 days to get into his account. If you send it via Money Gram or Western Union be sure to provide his full name. The first time I sent Mohamed money I only provided his first and last name and with it being so common there was someone in their system that was blocked from receiving funds, it took about 3 days to clear up.

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

Western Union only charges $19.99 for up to $1000 or maybe even more than that. I don't like Money Gram, but thats just my personal opinion. Also, I wired $100 into Mohamed's acct once, but it cost me the same as western union, and took 2-3 days to get into his account. If you send it via Money Gram or Western Union be sure to provide his full name. The first time I sent Mohamed money I only provided his first and last name and with it being so common there was someone in their system that was blocked from receiving funds, it took about 3 days to clear up.

MoneyGram is $16.00 for $1000. And even less with the 5% "frequent customer" discount.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Must depend on the country - We send $350 bi-monthly to Morocco via Moneygram and it costs us $9.

Edited by MrsAmera

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.