Captain Ewok

General K1 Guides and Info

236 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

OK, I understand how to pay the document verification fee to DELBROS. But, what documents are they verifying? Seeing that we didn't file any of her paperwork with the I-129F. By the way, does the embassy in Manila schedule the medical and the interview?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

There are 3 ways to check for updates.

1. By searching online: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp - you'll just need the receipt number.

2. By logging into your account. To register on the USCIS site: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/selectusertype.jsp

3. By e-mail (once you have registered and clicked on the "E-mail on" button.

Hi

I'm really hoping someone can help?

I'm very confused as to where to find our case updates. I log in using option 2 as desribed above and click on our receipts number, but the only entry in there is the following (please see attachement).

Why are there no updates, for example "touched" or anything of the sort?

My fiance has been getting updates in the mail - the last one being from the NVC to say that our case has been approved and is being sent to the consulate - but nothing is being updated on the website?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Emile

Edited by emile

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. By searching online: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp - you'll just need the receipt number.

2. By logging into your account. To register on the USCIS site: https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/selectusertype.jsp

Hi

I'm really hoping someone can help?

I'm very confused as to where to find our case updates. I log in using option 2 as desribed above and click on our receipts number, but the only entry in there is the following (please see attachement).

Why are there no updates, for example "touched" or anything of the sort?

My fiance has been getting updates in the mail - the last one being from the NVC to say that our case has been approved and is being sent to the consulate - but nothing is being updated on the website?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Emile

I think when you are approved to go to NVC you will have a new receipt number.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The online website system belongs to the USCIS. NVC is not a part of the USCIS. Therefore, NVC information will not be shown on that website.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Options 1 and 3 are good if you only wish to check for status update. Option number 2 shows the mysterious touches (somebody worked on your case but we can't be sure what has been done).

Option 2 in detail:

It'll show a table:

Receipt Number | E-mail | Last Updated | (mm/dd/yyyy) | Form # |Form Title

Take a look at the date in the "last updated" box. Then go to "Receipt Number" and check the message. Is it different from the last update you got?

Yes: smile.gif Great! You got an update that changes the status of your case.

No: sad.gif Aw. They have just worked on your case...

Please note that the date on the update notices don't change. For example, if you got a message saying your petition was approved on JUNE 20, 2006, that date will never change. The ones that might change are the ones you get to see at the chart when you log into the account.

Do I really need to check the mysterious touches?

Not at all. Only obsessive people like me, for example, will do it. I find it comforting to know that someone's been working on my case smile.gif

Also, you only get to check the status before your petition is fowarded to the NVC...

I was just wondering if someone could help me. i filed my I-129f petition today and I tried to go sign up for updates but those links dont work. I was wondering if maybe something was wrong on my side, or if anyone had an updated link to go to? any help is appreciated

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
K-1 Visa Holder Starter Kit

compiled by LisaD

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! You must be so excited! Man, there is so much for you to digest...plan on reading a great deal! No, getting married to a foreign national is not like the movie 'Green Card'. You are gonna be shocked!

Do yourself a favor and read the GUIDES <---click here! as well as understanding what a K-1 Visa actually is.

Read the FAQs <----click here!

And if you have a specific question that you're unsure of...hit up the Forum Search <---click here!. Most times, your question has been asked and answered countless times over.

Please refer to these tools that our most gracious and benevolent admin CAPTAIN EWOK has provided. And many members have worked very hard to write all this info.........

And one more thing....BREATHE!!! Yes it seems like a lot of ####### and red tape to go through, but there are countless couples who have gone through this and who have lived to tell the tale.

oh, and no, you cannot file for a K-1 and get married while you're waiting. <---CLICK HERE!

Useful links along your K1 Visa Journey:

compiled by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - Department of State (DOS) Nonimmigrant Visa Information (Overview of the K1 Process)

[CLICK HERE] - USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) (2pg PDF File)

[CLICK HERE] - 5 Stages of the K1 Visa Process "Simplified and Theoretical" (according to Sheriff Uling)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Guide & Information (Detailed Steps for Filing)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Flowchart (General Overview)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Tips (Tips on Forms and Documents)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's Acronym and Form Definition page (Great for New Members)

[CLICK HERE] - Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide (Specific to the Philippines)

Make sure you also check out the Example Forms Section. This section has many example forms, for a general case, that you can use as reference.

Here is the official USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) Visa's: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A2.pdf. Once you file you will have several options available to track your case.

Helpful Notes for K1 Applicants (If you have a suggestion that you think should be added please PM me):

Note #1 (suggested by member: Mew):

Many VJs find it difficult to figure out how to check for touches and ask for :help: . So I thought I'd have this topic to make it easier for everyone.

What is a touch?

As JEDI's defined it (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20192#):

Any time your application is handled by someone at a Service Centre, the barcode is scanned, which results in an update to the "last date" for your case on the USCIS website. When the date changes, this mean that someone has physically handled or "touched" your case. There are many reasons your application may be "touched" - from simply being moved from one desk to another, to RFE's, to being approved.

There are 2 kinds of touches. There are the ones that show some kind of update, there are the ones that don't bring a new message. By logging into the account, take a look at the date that shows next to your case number. If it's changed, you've been touched.

By clicking on the case number, you get to check whether it was an update touch or not. The ones that don't show updates are connected with some kind of work done with regard to your case - it merely shows that they've taken a look at it somehow.

What? Case number? Account? Hang on, let me explain it. :)

How do I get to check it out?

First thing is, get your receipt number (or case number). You can find it online on the back of the check you used to pay for the filing of the application when it's been cashed. If you can't do that, wait for the NOA1 in the mail. It'll be there.

Options 1 and 3 are good if you only wish to check for status update. Option number 2 shows the mysterious touches (somebody worked on your case but we can't be sure what has been done).

Option 2 in detail:

It'll show a table:

Take a look at the date in the "last updated" box. Then go to "Receipt Number" and check the message. Is it different from the last update you got?

Yes: :) Great! You got an update that changes the status of your case.

No: :( Aw. They have just worked on your case...

Please note that the date on the update notices don't change. For example, if you got a message saying your petition was approved on JUNE 20, 2006, that date will never change. The ones that might change are the ones you get to see at the chart when you log into the account.

Not at all. Only obsessive people like me, for example, will do it. I find it comforting to know that someone's been working on my case :)

Also, you only get to check the status before your petition is fowarded to the NVC...

I hope I covered it all. :thumbs:

Note #2 (suggested by member: sukie175 and pax):

***This applies in general to everyone**** Regarding your Overseas Medical: Please note that you need to ask the Doctor at whichever Hospital you go to - To give you the Department of State's vaccination worksheet (or at least an official copy) - it is known as the DS-3025 (this is not the same as the USCIS form I-693 or I-693A Suppliment). You will need this for your Visa interview and for later on when you adjust status to a permanent resident in the US.

When you apply to adjust status in the States, assuming you as a K-1 holder apply within one year of the original medical, you need an I-693A. This is USCIS'S VACCINATION SUPPLEMENT. Here's where it gets tricky! Some people have submitted a DS-3025 with their AOS package and have NOT received RFE's. Some HAVE. If you want to be absolutely safe in terms of your medical documentation as a K-1 adjusting status, you should take your DS-3025 to a USCIS-certified civil surgeon and ask them to transfer the information from your DS-3025 to an I-693A. They should do this for a nominal charge. If they try to tell you you need a full medical examination, DO NOT LISTEN. You ONLY need the vaccination supplement. The following memo from the USCIS documents that this completed form will remain valid beyond one year when submitted with most Adjustment of Status applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/I693MedExt011106.pdf

The civil surgeon should give you an I-693A documenting the fact that your vaccinations are complete (either they were completed when you had your medical or you had them completed stateside). You should submit this with your AOS package.

Note #3:

Make sure on all photo's you submit to the USCIS / Dept of State that you label on the back of the photo (felt tip marker suggested) the names, date and location of the photo and the people in it (namely you and your fiance).
Note #4:

Later on when you file for AOS you will need to know where your non immigrant visa # is. This image shows you where:

normal_visa_after_entry.jpg

Note #5:

Frequently Asked Questions answered by the Department of State regarding a K-1 Visa:

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/ivfaq.html

Note #6:

This thread discusses exceptions to the requirement for having met within the last 2 years:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33474

Timeline

hi!!!! just wondering if you could help me. i already received a letter from the embassy telling me that i can schedule for an interview. once i receive it, do i have to make an interview appointment asap? can i make a schedule two months after i received the letter> thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

If my sister co-sponsers on thw w2 for our k1 visa will i still have to submit my w2 as well? I make sufficient amount of money but i started my job in 07 so my w2 does not show that i make enough money. Can someone please help me with this question?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I tried to check my s tatus on the egov.immigration website but the link doesn't work. Trying to find out if i've been touched :(

Cindy

K-1 Visa Holder Starter Kit

compiled by LisaD

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR ENGAGEMENT! You must be so excited! Man, there is so much for you to digest...plan on reading a great deal! No, getting married to a foreign national is not like the movie 'Green Card'. You are gonna be shocked!

Do yourself a favor and read the GUIDES <---click here! as well as understanding what a K-1 Visa actually is.

Read the FAQs <----click here!

And if you have a specific question that you're unsure of...hit up the Forum Search <---click here!. Most times, your question has been asked and answered countless times over.

Please refer to these tools that our most gracious and benevolent admin CAPTAIN EWOK has provided. And many members have worked very hard to write all this info.........

And one more thing....BREATHE!!! Yes it seems like a lot of ####### and red tape to go through, but there are countless couples who have gone through this and who have lived to tell the tale.

oh, and no, you cannot file for a K-1 and get married while you're waiting. <---CLICK HERE!

Useful links along your K1 Visa Journey:

compiled by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - Department of State (DOS) Nonimmigrant Visa Information (Overview of the K1 Process)

[CLICK HERE] - USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) (2pg PDF File)

[CLICK HERE] - 5 Stages of the K1 Visa Process "Simplified and Theoretical" (according to Sheriff Uling)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Guide & Information (Detailed Steps for Filing)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Flowchart (General Overview)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's K1 Visa Tips (Tips on Forms and Documents)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ's Acronym and Form Definition page (Great for New Members)

[CLICK HERE] - Manila Embassy K1 Visa Guide (Specific to the Philippines)

Make sure you also check out the Example Forms Section. This section has many example forms, for a general case, that you can use as reference.

Here is the official USCIS FAQ for Fiance(e) Visa's: http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/A2.pdf. Once you file you will have several options available to track your case.

Helpful Notes for K1 Applicants (If you have a suggestion that you think should be added please PM me):

Note #1 (suggested by member: Mew):

Many VJs find it difficult to figure out how to check for touches and ask for :help: . So I thought I'd have this topic to make it easier for everyone.

What is a touch?

As JEDI's defined it (http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20192#):

Any time your application is handled by someone at a Service Centre, the barcode is scanned, which results in an update to the "last date" for your case on the USCIS website. When the date changes, this mean that someone has physically handled or "touched" your case. There are many reasons your application may be "touched" - from simply being moved from one desk to another, to RFE's, to being approved.

There are 2 kinds of touches. There are the ones that show some kind of update, there are the ones that don't bring a new message. By logging into the account, take a look at the date that shows next to your case number. If it's changed, you've been touched.

By clicking on the case number, you get to check whether it was an update touch or not. The ones that don't show updates are connected with some kind of work done with regard to your case - it merely shows that they've taken a look at it somehow.

What? Case number? Account? Hang on, let me explain it. :)

How do I get to check it out?

First thing is, get your receipt number (or case number). You can find it online on the back of the check you used to pay for the filing of the application when it's been cashed. If you can't do that, wait for the NOA1 in the mail. It'll be there.

Option 2 in detail:

It'll show a table:

Yes: :) Great! You got an update that changes the status of your case.

No: :( Aw. They have just worked on your case...

Not at all. Only obsessive people like me, for example, will do it. I find it comforting to know that someone's been working on my case :)

I hope I covered it all. :thumbs:

Note #2 (suggested by member: sukie175 and pax):

***This applies in general to everyone**** Regarding your Overseas Medical: Please note that you need to ask the Doctor at whichever Hospital you go to - To give you the Department of State's vaccination worksheet (or at least an official copy) - it is known as the DS-3025 (this is not the same as the USCIS form I-693 or I-693A Suppliment). You will need this for your Visa interview and for later on when you adjust status to a permanent resident in the US.

When you apply to adjust status in the States, assuming you as a K-1 holder apply within one year of the original medical, you need an I-693A. This is USCIS'S VACCINATION SUPPLEMENT. Here's where it gets tricky! Some people have submitted a DS-3025 with their AOS package and have NOT received RFE's. Some HAVE. If you want to be absolutely safe in terms of your medical documentation as a K-1 adjusting status, you should take your DS-3025 to a USCIS-certified civil surgeon and ask them to transfer the information from your DS-3025 to an I-693A. They should do this for a nominal charge. If they try to tell you you need a full medical examination, DO NOT LISTEN. You ONLY need the vaccination supplement. The following memo from the USCIS documents that this completed form will remain valid beyond one year when submitted with most Adjustment of Status applications.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/I693MedExt011106.pdf

The civil surgeon should give you an I-693A documenting the fact that your vaccinations are complete (either they were completed when you had your medical or you had them completed stateside). You should submit this with your AOS package.

Note #3:

Make sure on all photo's you submit to the USCIS / Dept of State that you label on the back of the photo (felt tip marker suggested) the names, date and location of the photo and the people in it (namely you and your fiance).
Note #4:

Later on when you file for AOS you will need to know where your non immigrant visa # is. This image shows you where:

normal_visa_after_entry.jpg

Note #5:

Frequently Asked Questions answered by the Department of State regarding a K-1 Visa:

http://usembassy-australia.state.gov/consular/ivfaq.html

Note #6:

This thread discusses exceptions to the requirement for having met within the last 2 years:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33474

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everybody in this site...Please help me to get more information about all the documents i need from my fiancee in the U.S??????? Do i need original copy of he's divorce papers during the interview? I really don't know, bec. he just sent me the photocopy of he's divorce papers... Please tell me all the things i need to do and what are the other documents i need to bring during the medical and for the fiancee interview....

shF5m5.png

29722_112256618812440_1000008430620.jpg

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Hello everyone I am really new at thisa nd have been scouring all the different websites and this one by far has the most helpful information I have seen so far!!!! One question I have not been able to find has to do with being eligble to marry...I am soon to be officially divorced (cross my fingers) within the next couple of days and in my state I have to wait 6 mo's before I can re-marry which brings me to my question. Since the process takes so long to complete do I actually have to past my 6 mo's and eligible to re-marry before I apply for the K1 visa or can I go ahead and apply now?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

The law states that you both must be free to marry. This includes any nisi period and/or wait time before you are eligible to marry again.

We were in a very similar situation except I had to wait years. :( Have faith tho, you have much to learn and prepare for the process you are to embark on.

VJ is the best resource you will find for all of the information you will need. Please read through the GUIDES and visit the New Zealand regional thread for many helpful pointers in dealing with the Embassy in Auckland.

Hello everyone I am really new at thisa nd have been scouring all the different websites and this one by far has the most helpful information I have seen so far!!!! One question I have not been able to find has to do with being eligble to marry...I am soon to be officially divorced (cross my fingers) within the next couple of days and in my state I have to wait 6 mo's before I can re-marry which brings me to my question. Since the process takes so long to complete do I actually have to past my 6 mo's and eligible to re-marry before I apply for the K1 visa or can I go ahead and apply now?

All other questions.... Reading the GUIDES and FAQ as well as all of the links at the top of the forums along with the search feature here will answer almost every question. All other questions should be asked in the main K-1 forum. :)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.