alibekah

Can they deny you for being poor?

35 posts in this topic

Don't feel this way. AOS isn't really optional unless you're okay living out-of-status. The immigrant can't work or leave the country, can't get a drivers licence, in some cases can't go on some health insurances... and if caught by ICE can be locked up in detention until they see an immigration judge who will order you to AOS immediately... not to mention legal fees associated with that.

As someone who waited a while I can tell you that while yes, there were lots i COULD have spent the $1010 on, I am happy that I will NEVER have someone threaten me with my lack of status (lets just say I don't trust my in-laws), I can work, I can leave and return, I am (almost) like everyone else. It was really depressing and stressful sitting at home UNABLE to work but totally willing... esp when we moved from TX to IA and how much that cost us.. and my father taking ill in June I was able to get a flight back to Australia without fear of my status and wasting all the money and time invested already...

I personally wouldn't wait if the money is there. I would look for co-sponsors, get a second job.. whatever.

Tony, I hope this/your words-O'-wisdom post is pinned in the AOS forum for everyone who says, "But there is no time limit for filing AOS."

Clearly, it is to everyone's advantage to file AOS ASAP and get it done! No time limit needed, just common sense.

:star:

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Are you willing to think outside the box? I am going to give you some advice that will solve all your problems with income. I know you are a woman. I hope you don't think that is a barrier to what I am going to tell you. You mentioned this economy is in the dumper; true in most non skilled occupations. You sound desperate. I understand this. One industry that has always remained strong throughout all economic times is the trucking industry. Men and woman of all walks of life happen to drive big trucks. The pay is good and the work is steady. If you have any better ideas in order to support your loved one and most importantly, passing your AOS interview, I am all ears. Some larger companies will pay for your training and you will pay them back over two years. This might not be for you, but do you want to take the risk of being denied due to lack of income? You are inside a box now. Think outside that box! Food for thought; there are 10 jobs for every driver in the US now. Starting pay is about $35,000 and goes up and up and up with experience.

If you like, he can also do the same and you could make over $120,000 driving together. Can't beat that!!!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

You should try a temporary employment agency based upon the type of work your looking for. There are agencies that exist that even have office jobs. 9 years ago I went to a temp agency and they got me a job that paid $20 dollars and hour plus commission. No exageration. It was awesome. I was only 19 years old then.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You can't get unemployment because you're not a minority? That doesn't make any sense. Maybe you should check into it again.

Have faith, you've gone this far and he is finally going to be with you. "God Willing" you will find a job soon, better than the one you had;)

He does have his K1 and I do not want to become a burden or him. I've worked hard my entire life and where I live, I cannot even get unemployment, Medicaid or food stamps because I am not a minority. So even if I wanted to depend on it, i could not! :lol: I have been trying for Medicaid on a PT job for 3 years now!

UGH, it just seems like we got so far and now it maybe all for nothing...

must stay positive!!

I'm not sure that a temp job would quality because the employer would actually be the staffing agency.

You should try a temporary employment agency based upon the type of work your looking for. There are agencies that exist that even have office jobs. 9 years ago I went to a temp agency and they got me a job that paid $20 dollars and hour plus commission. No exageration. It was awesome. I was only 19 years old then.

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Every state is different, but in my state you can get unemployment so long as you didn't leave voluntarily and weren't fired for misconduct. (And if you were fired but don't think you should have been, you can appeal.) Food stamps...when I looked the only reason I could see that we couldn't get them was because we owned a vehicle worth more than $4000. Double, triple-check on umemployment, because you can use that towards the income requirement - don't know if it would be enough combined with your household's (ie parents') income, but certainly something to look at REALLY hard before you decide you definitely can't get it!

The recession punched the trucking industry to the ground :-s Though guess it is back on its feet now, but still.

I don't know much about adjusting status, so I am just going to ask this and hope someone else can answer. If you send off the AOS package with an I-864 that does not show sufficient income, will they straight up deny the application or will they send an RFE? If the latter, then could you apply for AOS along with the EAD, and then once the EAD was received the immigrant could also try to find a job and then his income could also be considered? How long would they have to reply to the RFE?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

Thanks. I bought 1.5 tanks of gas with it. :lol:

You crack me up :rofl:

Edited by Eve&Josh

11/30/2010 I-129F package sent

5/16/2011 NOA2

5/24/2011 Medical

5/27/2011 fly over to US, stay for 2 months

8/22/2011 Visa Interview in Helsinki

9/6/2011 Visa in hand

9/23/2011 PoE in Boston

12/2/2011 Marriage!

12/28/2011 AoS sent

4/28/2012 Green Card received! No Interview :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I've worked hard my entire life and where I live, I cannot even get unemployment, Medicaid or food stamps because I am not a minority.

What is that supposed to mean? Your race has nothing to do with whether or not you get government assistance. As far as I know, Legally, your husband cannot take food stamps and other forms of government assistance once you are married because you have signed an affidavit saying that he will not become a burden on the state.

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Are you willing to think outside the box? I am going to give you some advice that will solve all your problems with income. I know you are a woman. I hope you don't think that is a barrier to what I am going to tell you. You mentioned this economy is in the dumper; true in most non skilled occupations. You sound desperate. I understand this. One industry that has always remained strong throughout all economic times is the trucking industry. Men and woman of all walks of life happen to drive big trucks. The pay is good and the work is steady. If you have any better ideas in order to support your loved one and most importantly, passing your AOS interview, I am all ears. Some larger companies will pay for your training and you will pay them back over two years. This might not be for you, but do you want to take the risk of being denied due to lack of income? You are inside a box now. Think outside that box! Food for thought; there are 10 jobs for every driver in the US now. Starting pay is about $35,000 and goes up and up and up with experience.

This is good advice ! My Fiance is in school right now in Morocco training for International/Commercial driver's liscence so that this is an opportunity he can take here in the United States! :)

8j0g.jpg8j0gm4.png

December 27, 2009 - Wishing each other a blessed 2010. -When we met
February 25- I realize I love this amazing man! (but of course I must see it and feel it in person to know for sure )
June 22, 2010 - The day I first lay eyes on the man that I love.
December 29th 2010- January 6th 2011 - second trip to Morocco, an amazing time with an amazing man. He tells me I am everything he needs and more and hopes that he is the same for me... of course!! I accept his proposal and we are engaged!
October 2011 - So very much in love still, can't wait to see him in December
December 22nd,2011- January 9th 2012 - What a wonderful time, we had an engagement ceremony, and finally we decided it was time to start filling out some papers! Hoping to send it off in late March !
December 27th, 2012 - January 14th, 2013- My girls and I visit my Sweet Bread and have a wonderful vacation with all of the family, including my uncle!

November 12, 2013 - I-129f mailed! Finally!

November 21, 2013- NOA1 !

February 27th, 2014 NOA2 !

March 18th, 2014 NVC RECEIVED!

April 23rd, 2014 INTERVIEW !!! God-Willing we will be in each others arms soon! God Bless!!

April 24th, 2014 Find out we were in AP, 2 weeks later he is called back to the Consulate...

May 8th, 2014 Hicham is given a 221g at the Consulate and told that the petition has been sent back to USCIS. :( HEARTBROKEN. Yet, determined to convince them.

September 29th, 2015 MARRIED.

June 2015- Still madly in love, and madly missing each other.

September 29th, 2015 Mailed CR-1 Petition.

October 1st 2015 NOA-1

December 2nd 2015, Notice of Action- Transferred to Local office in Arlington, VA

The Journey continues....... missing each other like crazy!

Still, God Bless.

Thank you for letting me share my story smile.png
HichamRainbow2.pngloveforeverpng.pngPicture0006.png

"You'll know then that I am God. No one who hopes in me ever regrets it." Isaiah 49:23

:lol: thanks for the smile! :)

It was a joke. :whistle:

Minorities don't get more or less benefits than any other race. This country is predominantly white majority and the majority of those on welfare are white single mothers.

Welfare was created for white people. Blacks and ethnic minorities were denied the right to welfare until the end of the civil rights movement.

The fact is 27% of blacks live below the poverty line as opposed to only about 9% of whites.

If you qualify then you qualify regardless of what race you are and even if you don;t there are many agencies that will help you.

I wasnt trying to make you laugh. I thought it was ironic that you made that statement when you are engaged to a minority.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Timeline

I cannot even get unemployment, Medicaid or food stamps because I am not a minority. So even if I wanted to depend on it, i could not! :lol: I have been trying for Medicaid on a PT job for 3 years now!

Im just curious as to why you think you cant get some sort of public assistance if you are not a minority?

I-129F Sent : 2010-07-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-07-23

Touch: 2010-08-02

Touch: 2010-10-03

NOA2: 2010-01-10

Interview: 2011-02-08 - Approved

Visa Printed: 2011-02-10

Sent to 2Go: 2011-02-14 (scheduled for noon delivery as per consulate)

Pckup @ 2Go: 2011-02-15 (Will hold at routing Hub for same day pick up)

POE (LAX): 2011-02-16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

+1 :thumbs: I have had a CDL since 1991. I also have several forklift and equipment certifications. I can tell you from experience that there are literally tons of jobs in the driving/material moving industry. If you are a little sketchy about driving a large truck, I can understand. But, driving a forklift is very easy to learn and with a certification in hand, you could probably score a full-time job in less than a week. On Craigslist in our area there are over 90 openings just for forklift drivers alone. Most of these jobs are not extremely physically demanding. You won't get rich on the wages of forklift driver... But, any of these jobs would pay enough to meet poverty guidelines.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

First, I hope your job and financial situation makes a positive turn for the better, soon! Hey, they say the economy is picking up lately....

Second, the more I see posters here basically saying that AOS is optional because there is no time limit, it makes me feel like a sucker for coughing up the $1010 bucks for an AOS that really isnt necessary until it is convenient for the petitioner and beneficiary.

So be of good cheer, and just do that AOS at such time that it is convenient for you.

I could think of 1010 better things that I coulda done with my $1010

:star:

Thank you, goodness I hope so too. I have been doing a lot of volunteering tutoring and I hope that opens some doors for me somewhere. :) I was in tears last night and my man is telling me to please be positive. Everything has gone so well so far. I am just hoping!! You would think 2 college degrees would get you somewhere, you know?? :)

Thank you again. I am still confused about how we cannot file for the AOS, but I guess it may be best to delay until I know for sure we will meet the guideline.

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." ~ Charlotte Brönte

K1 Visa

2010-06-02: I-129F sent

2010-06-07: NOA1

2010-06-29: NOA2

2010-12-07: Interview Date Interview Result: Administrative Process

2011-02-14: Administrative Process ended. Happy Valentine's Day! hearts.gif

2011-02-22: Approved at Embassy

2011-02-25: Received K1 Visa!!!

2011-03-31: POE Miami, Florida USA!!! 35D.gif

2011-04-22: Wedding Day! Happy Earth Day!!

AOS

2011-05-20: Filed For AOS

2011-05-31: NOA1 for EAD & I-485, and Biometrics Appointment Letter

2011-06-16: RFE

2011-06-21: Biometrics for I-485 & EAD

2011-06-30: Transferred to CSC

2011-07-28: Received EAD card in mail!

2011-09-14: AOS Interview = APPROVED! BOOYAH!

2011-09-23: Greencard received! Blessed Autumn Equinox!

thenwestartedkissing.jpg

99gcic0s7e.png

Timeline

It was a joke. :whistle:

Minorities don't get more or less benefits than any other race. This country is predominantly white majority and the majority of those on welfare are white single mothers.

Welfare was created for white people. Blacks and ethnic minorities were denied the right to welfare until the end of the civil rights movement.

The fact is 27% of blacks live below the poverty line as opposed to only about 9% of whites.

If you qualify then you qualify regardless of what race you are and even if you don;t there are many agencies that will help you.

I wasnt trying to make you laugh. I thought it was ironic that you made that statement when you are engaged to a minority.

Funny thing is that I am a minority also. I am just emotionally exhausted and physically in pain. I still have no freakin' clue how anything works anymore. When you feel like you are at your wits end and tired of the lack of support from people (emotionally), it strains on you immensely. Which is funny because my mother came to this country legally 35 years ago and my sister is married to a Swiss man.

K1 Visa

AOS

thenwestartedkissing.jpg

99gcic0s7e.png

Timeline

I have put my resume in with a few of those actually. I keep updating my resume in hopes that they will call me. Before I moved back to where I am now, I had an awesome job that I did get through a temp agency that ended up keeping me (but after 2 years, my dept was closed down). This was 4 years ago. So I am hoping that I will have the same luck this time. :)

Im just curious as to why you think you cant get some sort of public assistance if you are not a minority?

actually I am one. Last night was a bad night. I hit rock bottom. My mother is am immigrant and my sister married a foreigner. The gov cares little for who it wants to help or not.

OP, unemployment compensation does not depend on your race. Have you bothered to see if you qualify for unemployment or welfare? Even rich white people can get unemployment depending on the reason they were let go. At least try for it.

I actually have been denied for unemployment. I do not know why and those papers explain very little.

K1 Visa

AOS

thenwestartedkissing.jpg

99gcic0s7e.png

Timeline

+1 :thumbs: I have had a CDL since 1991. I also have several forklift and equipment certifications. I can tell you from experience that there are literally tons of jobs in the driving/material moving industry. If you are a little sketchy about driving a large truck, I can understand. But, driving a forklift is very easy to learn and with a certification in hand, you could probably score a full-time job in less than a week. On Craigslist in our area there are over 90 openings just for forklift drivers alone. Most of these jobs are not extremely physically demanding. You won't get rich on the wages of forklift driver... But, any of these jobs would pay enough to meet poverty guidelines.

REALLY? I am absolutly willing to think outside the box (I am an artist, its all I do) when it comes to a job. Do you need to get your CDL to drive a forklift? How do you get the training for that kind of stuff? Right now, I am willing to consider anything except an escort service! (:lol: I have to give myself a smile somehow!) Thank you for your response. Thank you.

K1 Visa

AOS

thenwestartedkissing.jpg

99gcic0s7e.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.