mariasoledadb2002

Overstay and 10 ban - what can we do

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Now I know you're all "oh we are so in love, how can the government keep us apart...it is so unfair" but that attitidue is not going to get her to the US. Reality, she overstayed and broke immigration law. While it may be forgiven, put your energy towards putting together the I601 waiver, along with waiver packet showing how you will suffer 'extreme hardship' if she isn't returned to the US and why you cannot move to her country. It is likely, as your lawyers have stated, that she will be denied at the interview. Many consulates will accept the waiver packet at the consulate when the denial is issued.

Don't wait, have the packt prepared for her interview. If she doesn't need it (which I wouldn't count on) then you haven't lost any time. If she does, then you could waste weeks or months as you prepare it and collect evidence.

Consulate a lawyer to help you with the waiver packet. Laural Scott offers free immigration chats on Wednesdays and is an expert in inadmissability. You can get her at scottimmigration.net

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
You should start your own thread, and not jump into the middle of someone elses.
There are already at least two other threads, and this third one resurrected nearly a two-year-old thread.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Let me just add my 2 cents. If you DO need to file a waiver and are unsure where to even begin, I can personally recommend Laurel Scott. She was, by far, THE best decision we made. We ended up not needing to file the waiver, but I wanted to have her and not need her rather than need her and not have her. Some lawyers take on clients for the $$ - she does it because she BELIEVES in what she does.

Good luck with everything!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Hi Andy,

Well, I don't mean to sound harsh but if it wasn't unlawful to overstay a visa, then visas wouldn't have an expiration date, would they?

Freedom doesn't mean freedom to break the law, and being a US citizen yourself you must have been aware of how much of a problem illegal immigration is to the US. So how could overstaying a visa (=staying in a country illegally) not be against the law?

Now, on to your options (yes, her K-1 will most probably be denied because of the ban):

1) You file an I-601 waiver demonstrating extreme hardship by being apart, hoping that it will be approved. Some waivers get approved, but many don't. Give it your best, hire an attorney with experience in filing waivers, but also be prepared for the worst case scenario. If it's approved, great! The 10-year ban will be lifted and as long as the case doesn't have any other red flags, your fiancee should get her visa. If it's not approved, there are options 2, 3 and 4 for you.

2) If your I-601 isn't approved, you should be able to fight it by submitting updated information. This time you may be luckier and get it approved. If not, then you only have one of the options 3 or 4.

3) You move to Argentina to live with her until the end of 2018 when her ban will expire. Then you will be able to file again and hopefully be approved without a problem. OR, you stay and settle in Argentina and don't bother with the US visa ever again.

4) You stay apart until she is eligible to enter the country again in 2018, when you file for her immigrant visa, and in the meantime you visit her in Argentina as often as possible. I don't think you'd pick this one, but it's still an option.

Good luck!

Edited by Christi85

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

OP - you guys don't need a I-601 waiver and your fiance's overstay should not be an issue if she was here on J-1 visa and left the US voluntarily!!!

Her I-94 was marked D/S (Duration of Status), which means she was not told what date she exactly needs to leave the country. This is a loophole that will save you! Unless she was placed in removing procedures, she should be fine!

In the case of I-94's marked D/S one is not considered "out of status" until it is declared by an immigration judge!

Here is the law:

7. Under the revised interpretation, aliens admitted for duration of status generally will not/not be subject to 222(g), regardless of their activities in the U.S., unless either:

(A) INS finds a status violation while adjudicating a request for an immigration benefit, or/or

(B) An Immigration Judge finds a status violation in proceedings against the alien.

8. Under the revised interpretation, a 222(g) refusal of an alien previously admitted for duration of status may not be based on the Conoff’s assessment of whether the alien did or did not maintain status. For example, even if a former F or J visa holder admits in his/her visa interview that he/she stayed in the U.S. months or years after studies ended, or worked without authorization, or never enrolled in school or undertook any studies at all, or never engaged in practical training that was authorized, the alien would still not/not be subject to 222(g), absent a prior finding of status violation by the INS or an Immigration Judge under the circumstances set forth in Para. 7.

Link: http://www.americanlaw.com/051296.html

Please research more (www.immigrate2us.net) or find a really good immigraton lawyer. Someone here suggested Laurel Scott, who specializes in cases like yours.

Your chances of bringing your fiance/wife back home are really high!

GOOD LUCK!

Green card through employment in EB2 category approved in July 2011

OP - you guys don't need a I-601 waiver and your fiance's overstay should not be an issue if she was here on J-1 visa and left the US voluntarily!!!

Her I-94 was marked D/S (Duration of Status), which means she was not told what date she exactly needs to leave the country. This is a loophole that will save you! Unless she was placed in removing procedures, she should be fine!

In the case of I-94's marked D/S one is not considered "out of status" until it is declared by an immigration judge!

Here is the law:

7. Under the revised interpretation, aliens admitted for duration of status generally will not/not be subject to 222(g), regardless of their activities in the U.S., unless either:

(A) INS finds a status violation while adjudicating a request for an immigration benefit, or/or

(B) An Immigration Judge finds a status violation in proceedings against the alien.

8. Under the revised interpretation, a 222(g) refusal of an alien previously admitted for duration of status may not be based on the Conoff's assessment of whether the alien did or did not maintain status. For example, even if a former F or J visa holder admits in his/her visa interview that he/she stayed in the U.S. months or years after studies ended, or worked without authorization, or never enrolled in school or undertook any studies at all, or never engaged in practical training that was authorized, the alien would still not/not be subject to 222(g), absent a prior finding of status violation by the INS or an Immigration Judge under the circumstances set forth in Para. 7.

Please research more (www.immigrate2us.net) or find a really good immigraton lawyer. Someone here suggested Laurel Scott, who specializes in cases like yours.

GOOD LUCK!

mjaskiew

KUDOS TO YOU! :yes:

What a great find and this may just be what the OP needed and if it were me, what a relief I would be feeling! :D

Edited by Luckywife2007

Fatih and Kelly's Visa Journey

2010- 12-10: Sent I-130 and DS-230 Complete Package to US Embassy in Ankara, Turkey via UPS

which included everything BUT the Kitchen SINK!

2010-12-13: Per UPS, Package has been received at American Consulate in Ankara, Turkey

2011-01-20: Received Email from US Embassy in Ankara

INTERVIEW DATE 03/08/2011 @ 8:30 am !!!

2011-03-08: Placed in AP

I will NEVER give up and WILL fight to the END!

Apologies if I state in a comment that my husband and I have been together for years & years. It's just that I can hardly remember a time when he and I were not together.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Greece
Timeline

Here is the law:

8. Under the revised interpretation, a 222(g) refusal of an alien previously admitted for duration of status may not be based on the Conoff’s assessment of whether the alien did or did not maintain status. For example, even if a former F or J visa holder admits in his/her visa interview that he/she stayed in the U.S. months or years after studies ended, or worked without authorization, or never enrolled in school or undertook any studies at all, or never engaged in practical training that was authorized, the alien would still not/not be subject to 222(g), absent a prior finding of status violation by the INS or an Immigration Judge under the circumstances set forth in Para. 7.

GOOD LUCK!

This could be a light in the end of the tunnel for the OP. Or not.

Yes, J-1 visas aren't given an expiration date but as soon as your course/training program/traineeship is over, then your stay is not justified anymore under the J-1. Sounds like the OP's fiancee was out of status in the US for 14 months after completing the course/traineeship that brought her to the US in the first place.

It also seems to me like point (A) could be the case of the OP - his fiancee is applying for an immigration benefit (a K-1 visa) and she has committed status violation. But again this could be open to interpretation.

The mention of the INS makes me skeptical as to how recent this legislation is, as the INS has formally been USCIS for 8 years now.

I think the OP needs to contact an experienced immigration attorney asap to be advised of the next steps/available options.

My CR1 timeline (DCF London):
June 26, 2010 - civil wedding
Aug 2, 2010 - I-130 package mailed to the London Consulate (DCF)
Aug 9, 2010 - NOA1 (confirmation of receipt) via email
Sep 4, 2010 - religious wedding
Oct 21, 2010 - NOA2
Nov 25, 2010 - Case number received in the mail
Nov 29, 2010 - Medical
Dec 1, 2010 - DS-230I & DS-2001 forms mailed back
Feb 1, 2011 - Interview - APPROVED!!!
Feb 7, 2011 - Passport with Visa received via courier
June 7, 2011 - POE Los Angeles (LAX)
June 18, 2011 - 2-Year Green card received in the mail!!!

My ROC journey:
April 2, 2013 - I-751 package mailed to California Service Center

April 3, 2013 - NOA1 date
April 8, 2013 - check cleared
May 6, 2013 - Biometrics completed

July 25, 2013 - 10 year green card APPROVED!! (notification via text and email, and website updated)

July 29, 2013 - ROC approval letter received in the mail

July 31, 2013 - 10 year green card received in the mail!!!

My N-400 journey:

March 19, 2014 - N-400 package mailed to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

March 24, 2014 - NOA1 date and Priority Date

March 27, 2014 - Check cleared

April 21, 2014 - Biometrics done

May 7, 2014 - In line for interview

June 23, 2014 - Scheduled for interview

July 28, 2014 - Interview - PASSED!!

July 30, 2014 - In line for oath

July 31, 2014 - Scheduled for oath

Aug 2, 2014 - Oath letter received

Aug 27, 2014 - Oath ceremony, I am a US citizen!!!

Sep 11, 2014 - US passport received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.