hunt07

drivers written test

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello i just wonder if anyone here tried to get drivers permit without green card?my green card still processing but my ead its already approve and need to wait for 30 days to get it n mail so now im just thinking if i can take the written test for drivers permit just to print the site says my card is production and also bring some reciepts from uscis,theres anyone tried this way just cant wait for my card n mail.i tried to call my dmv office here but no one answer

12/10/10-AOS/EAD/AP sent to chicago lockbox

12/24/10-AOS/EAD/AP NOA's hardcopy recieved

01/26/11-AOS transfered to CSC

01/26/11-recieved biometric appoinment notice dated.02/23/11

02/23/11-biometrics done

02/24/11-EAD card production

02/27/11-EAD approve

03/03/11-EAD/AP combo card recieved

03/04/11-AOS card production notice

03/08/11-AOS Approve

depends on the state you are in but you will need the acutal ead/green card. screen print outs/receipts will not be good enough.

Edited by nickbits

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello i just wonder if anyone here tried to get drivers permit without green card?my green card still processing but my ead its already approve and need to wait for 30 days to get it n mail so now im just thinking if i can take the written test for drivers permit just to print the site says my card is production and also bring some reciepts from uscis,theres anyone tried this way just cant wait for my card n mail.i tried to call my dmv office here but no one answer

I got my license in GA a month after I arrived, with nothing from USCIS. I just provided mail showing that I now live here, and my old license and passport with visa in it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got my license in GA a month after I arrived, with nothing from USCIS. I just provided mail showing that I now live here, and my old license and passport with visa in it.

It depends on the state. In Oregon, you can get a driver permit with the EAD. You can actually get it with the approval notice letter for your greencard as well. Every state has its own rules, though.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I agree it may vary but most states would require some type of proof of residency. If the Green card isn't received then they will accept the stamp along with proof of address.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Driving privledges are granted by state, so requirements varry by state.

In our case (NY) we did not even bother trying for a driver's license until haveing a green-card, NY requires (SSN, and (EAD valid 1+ year, or I-94 valid 1+ year, or I-551 stamp, or Green-card, or US Citizenship))

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well I have tried twice in Augusta Georgia and can't get mine with my EAD card at all. Looks like I will have to wait for my GC. All depends on what state you are in so you can look that up in the web though and see what ID they need for your drivers license.

Driving privledges are granted by state, so requirements varry by state.

In our case (NY) we did not even bother trying for a driver's license until haveing a green-card, NY requires (SSN, and (EAD valid 1+ year, or I-94 valid 1+ year, or I-551 stamp, or Green-card, or US Citizenship))

You know Dan here in Georgia all you need is EAD and SSN and I took marriage license and OZ license and our rental notice and still could not get it.. Says I am level 3 pending more ID

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

I think it depends on what state u are in. I got my driver's license here in GA and all they asked from me are utility bills , my passport and my marriage certificate,,did not have my green card that time yet and that was 4 yrs. ago.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can check your state's DMV website. I've been waiting for my EAD to get approved so I could take the written test, however, I called and asked what sort of letter or form from the USCIS they accept and they told me that I-797C is fine.

Btw, I'm in Ohio. Showed them the Notice of Transfer to CSC, passport, marriage cert and Social Security card and I got to take the test. Got my temporary permit a few minutes after.

Edited by scotty's girl

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Indiana now requires EAD card or GC. They used to accept I-797C but this no longer appears on their system. They also accept the stamp in your PP but only for the duration of the stamp and then you have to renew the DL. This is how I did it because I had to send my GC back due to a spelling mistake.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

depends on the state you are in but you will need the acutal ead/green card. screen print outs/receipts will not be good enough.

Yes, state by state-specific. In Illinois, one needs the GC to get the DL.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Topic has been moved from AOS forum to Moving Here and Your new Life in America forum as a more appropriate location for this discussion

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

DMV accepted my I-797C (EAD) to get through my drivers written test here in CA. (May 2010 - not sure now if they still accept such) :star:

K1 Visa

01-31-2009 I-129F to USCIS-CSC

02-19-2009 NOA1

03-24-2009 NOA2

06-21-2009 Medical(The Polyclinic, Dubai UAE)

06-28-2009 Interview @ USE AD (approved)

07-01-2009 Visa ready for pick up @ USE AD

07-07-2009 went to pick up my visa (ready 2 fly)

=

09-11-2009 POE-SFO(no questions asked,just a reminder 2 get marry within 90 days)

=

09-28-2009 applied for SSN at Sac., Ca(no hassle)

10-05-2009 received SSN card on mail

11-04-2009 applied for marriage license @ Sacramento County, Ca

11-18-2009 married (marriage certificate on hand-same day)

11-25-2009 I-693 signed by CS(MMR-$70, Vericella-$70, I-693 Form- $15)

=

12-23-2009 mailed AOS to USCIS, Chicago Lockbox (FedEx)

12-28-2009 recvd by USCIS

01-04-2010 check cashed by USCIS

01-08-2010 received NOA1 (I-797C) for I-485, I-765 and I-131

01-11-2010 recvd ASC Appointment Notice for Biometrics

01-25-2010 Biometrics Appointment- West Sac, CA

**alls well @ Biometrics-less than 20 mins.

03-04-2010 recvd notice for AOS interview date

03-04-2010 EAD card production ordered (online notice)

03-08-2010 AP (I-512L) approved-recvd in mail (dated 3/2/10)

03-11-2010 EAD recvd on mail

04-06-2010 AOS interview, APPROVED! Bye USCIS til 2012- Sac, CA

04-15-2010 GC Welcome letter received fr mail

04-16-2010 GC recvd on the mail (Yiihaa!!!)

=

03-08-2012 ROC I-751 mailed to CSC via USPS Priority Mail

03-12-2012 ROC recvd by CSC

03-12-2012 NOA1 (revd on mail 03/19/12)

03-15-2012 ROC check cashed

"Thank you to God and to VJ"

AZ required the EAD card, license is valid until day before EAD expires next February 2012.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

We went today and what they accepted as proof of residence was a foreign passport with visa that is still valid (not expired)....My wifes visa is expired so we had to show the green card.

I am pretty sure you can get a DL...Just bring multiple IDs (way back when I was even allowed to count one of my IDs as one proof of residence for her because we showed a marriage certificate)...

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.