~Johnny~

Odd translation request

76 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Don't forget to tell her she is the queen and in charge of everything too :P

Yes, and with reason.

You know it is.

For whatever reason Alla prefers "Princess" Whatever. Learn "the word" and use it frequently.

Romance is not dead with Ukrainian women. Since winter truly set in I have been driving Alla to class and picking her up. The garage and garage door opener don;t get it done anymore. She wants her heated carriage waiting for her at the door. But she will not ask for this, you have to WANT to do it. :lol: Of course she knows you "love her more" if you do it all by yourself.

Oddly enough she loves to go ice skating (outdoor, on the lake or in the parks in Montreal) and skiing. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Queens are old and have to make decisions. Princesses are young and pampered!

I think you may have something there. :lol: I will ask the Princess when she awakes.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

For whatever reason Alla prefers "Princess" Whatever. Learn "the word" and use it frequently.

Ahhhhh OK. I have been seeing this phrase a lot on girls profiles .. "I want to be treated like a princess" and my first thought is high maintenance gold digger without a firm grip on reality looking for a rich Anglo. But sounds like it means something else..... :wacko: I tell ya...this whole FSU thing takes some getting used to... you got your babushkas, you got your queens, you got your princesses, and then you got those FEMEN girls who may actually be closet princesses to their domineering boyfriends :whistle:

~Johnny~

Timeline

Ahhhhh OK. I have been seeing this phrase a lot on girls profiles .. "I want to be treated like a princess" and my first thought is high maintenance gold digger without a firm grip on reality looking for a rich Anglo. But sounds like it means something else..... :wacko: I tell ya...this whole FSU thing takes some getting used to... you got your babushkas, you got your queens, you got your princesses, and then you got those FEMEN girls who may actually be closet princesses to their domineering boyfriends :whistle:

we can translate for you. "Princess" means she wants you to make her the most important person in the world (and the kids too). It does not mean she is spoiled or needs lots of $$$. Small deeds make her feel like a Princess. Best to do them every day. They want to be treated like a wife, a lover and a cherished daughter. When I say they want a "husband, father, and lover" that means for them, all in one.

When they say "generous" or "not greedy" it means they do not want someone that thinks only of himself. It does not mean they want all your money.

When they say "successful" it means you have a job and can support a family. It does not mean you have to be rich. "Normal" is just fine.

"Quiet" does not mean you never talk (OMG NO! They never stop talking!) It means that they are secure and not worried. The bills are paid, there is food to eat, they have hot water and the stove works. They do not care HOW it gets done, just that it is reliable.

"Cozy home" means safe and no arguments, no abuse, no drunkeness. It does not necessarily mean little knick-knacks everywhere that just need to be dusted. :lol:

These are very common phrases used by everyone, what you see in profiles is just normal phrases. You will also be surprised in that they all want the same thing. And it does not matter how you meet them, it is pretty universal. Also keep in mind that in FSU culture some words are VERY powerful. Love, Beauty, friend are examples. A friend will give you the last Kopyeck they have no matter what (and you will pay it back, no matter what) A friend will never turn you in to the KGB, even if they pull out his fingernails (OK, that one is dated) They are not free and easy with the word "love", do not expect your FSU woman to be saying "I love you" 20 times per day, or even per month. She is not going to leave you little love notes around the house. She WILL grab you and make love to you on the kitchen table, the sofa, the bathroom vanity, the tub, the back porch, your desk...you get the idea. You will have no doubts. To say someone is "beautiful" is to say she is the most beautiful in the whole world. There can only be ONE beautiful woman. The others are "attractive", "wonderful", "normal" (normal is not a false compliment in the FSU and you see why, "normal" is pretty damn HOT) Also you ask a Ukrainian how they are and the answer is almost always "Korosho" which is basically "OK" or "Normal". They will not give you this phony US "Great!" They are not "great", they are "Korosho" Unless they just won the lottery or something, they are not "great". :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

we can translate for you. "Princess" means she wants you to make her the most important person in the world (and the kids too). It does not mean she is spoiled or needs lots of $$$. Small deeds make her feel like a Princess. Best to do them every day. They want to be treated like a wife, a lover and a cherished daughter. When I say they want a "husband, father, and lover" that means for them, all in one.

When they say "generous" or "not greedy" it means they do not want someone that thinks only of himself. It does not mean they want all your money.

When they say "successful" it means you have a job and can support a family. It does not mean you have to be rich. "Normal" is just fine.

"Quiet" does not mean you never talk (OMG NO! They never stop talking!) It means that they are secure and not worried. The bills are paid, there is food to eat, they have hot water and the stove works. They do not care HOW it gets done, just that it is reliable.

"Cozy home" means safe and no arguments, no abuse, no drunkeness. It does not necessarily mean little knick-knacks everywhere that just need to be dusted. :lol:

These are very common phrases used by everyone, what you see in profiles is just normal phrases. You will also be surprised in that they all want the same thing. And it does not matter how you meet them, it is pretty universal. Also keep in mind that in FSU culture some words are VERY powerful. Love, Beauty, friend are examples. A friend will give you the last Kopyeck they have no matter what (and you will pay it back, no matter what) A friend will never turn you in to the KGB, even if they pull out his fingernails (OK, that one is dated) They are not free and easy with the word "love", do not expect your FSU woman to be saying "I love you" 20 times per day, or even per month. She is not going to leave you little love notes around the house. She WILL grab you and make love to you on the kitchen table, the sofa, the bathroom vanity, the tub, the back porch, your desk...you get the idea. You will have no doubts. To say someone is "beautiful" is to say she is the most beautiful in the whole world. There can only be ONE beautiful woman. The others are "attractive", "wonderful", "normal" (normal is not a false compliment in the FSU and you see why, "normal" is pretty damn HOT) Also you ask a Ukrainian how they are and the answer is almost always "Korosho" which is basically "OK" or "Normal". They will not give you this phony US "Great!" They are not "great", they are "Korosho" Unless they just won the lottery or something, they are not "great". :lol:

Thanks Gary!! I have seen on those SAME terms on many profiles and I always wondered if there some other meaning than here in the west. Because some of those are just opposite meaning of our perception here.

back porch?? Woooooohooo, maybe I better start working on a deck cover... :dance:

Edited by ~Johnny~

~Johnny~

Queens are old and have to make decisions. Princesses are young and pampered!

I was being sarcastic. I only use the term "you Majesty" when I am irritated. Never call her queen, or tell her she is in charge or has to make the decisions. Imo, princess is reserved for kids too, but each to their own. :lol:

Try the term "my half", or "my second half", rather than queen or princess. You can try it on the phone now. It will be appreciated.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I was being sarcastic. I only use the term "you Majesty" when I am irritated. Never call her queen, or tell her she is in charge or has to make the decisions. Imo, princess is reserved for kids too, but each to their own. :lol:

Try the term "my half", or "my second half", rather than queen or princess. You can try it on the phone now. It will be appreciated.

We've had a few talks where I said I'm searching for my "second half" or "partner in life." I never mentioned queen or princess or babuska ...ya think she would laugh or slap me if I called her babuska? :lol: We have not had any deep emotional talks because we both felt we needed to meet before any emotions can be expressed. She mentioned that other men have contacted her before, and within 5 minutes of chatting are professing their love and dreams of marriage with her. Then a week later they never hear from the guy again.

~Johnny~

We've had a few talks where I said I'm searching for my "second half" or "partner in life." I never mentioned queen or princess or babuska ...ya think she would laugh or slap me if I called her babuska? :lol: We have not had any deep emotional talks because we both felt we needed to meet before any emotions can be expressed. She mentioned that other men have contacted her before, and within 5 minutes of chatting are professing their love and dreams of marriage with her. Then a week later they never hear from the guy again.

Another good point. Because you are (culturally speaking in Ukraine) supposed to be the one who initiates the contact, if you drop off the radar for any length of time it sends up a big flag that you may not be serious. You frequent communication is key, and she is probably talking with family/friends often about when you call, how long you talk, etc. This is part of a vetting process I think.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Thanks Gary!! I have seen on those SAME terms on many profiles and I always wondered if there some other meaning than here in the west.

I agree200% with his definitions. My wife is a Princess also.... she does leave me love notes ocassionly....and include out in the barn to the list.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

But my wife knows I'M the best of the best. :P She worries because she knows I am such a good catch.

(she will deny it if you ask her. But actions speak louder than words. :lol: )

I'm the worst man in the world. Horrible husband, ugly fat nasty greasy man with no money. Uzhes.

Yet she's still here.

Yet her friends constantly talk about how lucky she is and how great it would be to have a wonderful husband like me.

She'll never admit it though.

She wants her heated carriage waiting for her at the door. But she will not ask for this, you have to WANT to do it. :lol:

There's no f'ing way this would get done at my house.

Try the term "my half

Especially when you're talking about "I paid MY HALF of the rent." See how much she likes that one!

Another good point. Because you are (culturally speaking in Ukraine) supposed to be the one who initiates the contact, if you drop off the radar for any length of time it sends up a big flag that you may not be serious. You frequent communication is key, and she is probably talking with family/friends often about when you call, how long you talk, etc. This is part of a vetting process I think.

I went through a rather lengthy (over five years) courtship with my wife and we sometimes went several months without talking. I've heard of folks on here worrying if they go a few hours without hearing from their fiancee. "She didn't SMS me last night. I think she's seeing someone else."

Keep in mind there are 48,000 more out there. Don't lose sight of who the real catch is.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

I went through a rather lengthy (over five years) courtship with my wife and we sometimes went several months without talking. I've heard of folks on here worrying if they go a few hours without hearing from their fiancee. "She didn't SMS me last night. I think she's seeing someone else."

Keep in mind there are 48,000 more out there. Don't lose sight of who the real catch is.

Not my point at all. Don't worry if SHE doesn't initiate. She expects you to do that.

I remember you saying that you did most of the chasing slim :lol: Exactly what I was saying.

So now we see the two divergent extreme opinions about communication(that must be accurate, people SAY they do it right here on the internet):

1) She is a princess, queen, light of my life. I do everything for her (before she even knows she needs it, and for sure immediately after she mentions it - happily, without saying a thing). I tell her everyday that I cannot live without her - more every month we are together, anything else you are told is WRONG, or,

2) I tell her this is Amurica, this is the way we do it. I made as much of a sacrifice here as you - so get busy paying your half. I will call you when I feel like it, and don't really care if you want something else. Get over yourself. Anything else you were told is WRONG.

The path you take, or some middle road, depends on the people you are I think. There is no real recipe, and whatever works for you is what works, that includes how you meet, date, marry, or live.

Edited by Brad and Vika

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

When I say they want a "husband, father, and lover" that means for them, all in one.

Most of the stuff you said is quite right, but I can't agree with this sentence. I would say it's better when it's a "husband, friend and lover". Can be father for some FSU women, but mostly if they were deprived of father's attention and these very women are more likely to date guys, who are 10-15 or even 20-25 years older than them. If a woman had a caring father, she's not going to look for another one, she's more likely to look for a friend.

My fiance does that too :lol:

I don't really like the word "queen", but "princess" is even worse for me. I don't know, maybe age has something to do with it, but i'm used to hear the word "princess" when people are referring to somebody spoilt and misbehaving.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Most of the stuff you said is quite right, but I can't agree with this sentence. I would say it's better when it's a "husband, friend and lover". Can be father for some FSU women, but mostly if they were deprived of father's attention and these very women are more likely to date guys, who are 10-15 or even 20-25 years older than them. If a woman had a caring father, she's not going to look for another one, she's more likely to look for a friend.

My fiance does that too :lol:

I don't really like the word "queen", but "princess" is even worse for me. I don't know, maybe age has something to do with it, but i'm used to hear the word "princess" when people are referring to somebody spoilt and misbehaving.

:thumbs:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Thanks, maybe I'm thinking too hard about this... :blush:

Booze and body language is all you need for the first few days. After that you can get a translator.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.