Faith24

In Time for Wedding?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello! I was just wondering if there is anyone who could offer me and my fiance some advice. We sent in our K-1 visa in September of 2010 (was received on the 13th) and are now past the 5 month average. I called on February 14th, and they said they were currently working on August 21st petitions. My fiance and I are becoming very anxious as we are planning an August 2011 wedding. We have spent thousands of dollars and have his family and friends coming from England to attend. As an educated guess, will we have the visa in time for our August wedding? Once approved in the states, typically how long does it take in the beneficiaries country to be schedule the medical and interview and be approved? We have enjoyed planning this wedding and cannot wait for our special day and would hate for it to be affected/ruined by not receiving the visa in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

As an educated guess you should have your visa by August. As a smart educated guess you should never make any major plans until you have your visa in your hand.

There are no guarantees on when you will have your visa. There are many factors involved that could delay it. I hope it all works out for both of you.

John

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

correct the post above, it looks like the you should have your approval in time for august 2011, we alway tell people don't make any big plans, there is no guarantee you will be approved or some other matter rfe, but for your sake i hope it all turns out smooth and you have your visa in time for your wedding, if you read some guides up top of this page you get an idea of the time and medical things to do. good luck.

Honestly, I think you're good.. gOOd luck and I wish you a speedy process!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hello! I was just wondering if there is anyone who could offer me and my fiance some advice. We sent in our K-1 visa in September of 2010 (was received on the 13th) and are now past the 5 month average. I called on February 14th, and they said they were currently working on August 21st petitions. My fiance and I are becoming very anxious as we are planning an August 2011 wedding. We have spent thousands of dollars and have his family and friends coming from England to attend. As an educated guess, will we have the visa in time for our August wedding? Once approved in the states, typically how long does it take in the beneficiaries country to be schedule the medical and interview and be approved? We have enjoyed planning this wedding and cannot wait for our special day and would hate for it to be affected/ruined by not receiving the visa in time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Priorities are all mixed up here. There will be no wedding without the visa. The question is did you make a big mistake spending thousands of dollars (non-refundable?) and asking others to schedule time off work and incur travel expenses when the visa isn't in hand yet?

My best guess is you're timing is probably OK though. Hopefully your biggest problem will be delaying the use of the visa so that the wedding date is within the 90 days from entry.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

My NOA 1 is after yours and I'm planning a May wedding ahahha. You should be fine. Honestly, the worst that could happen is you fly him out for the wedding, have it, but dont get a marriage certificate (so the wedding is ceremonial, not legal), and then fly him back for the interview, and have a legal town hall wedding when he comes back. that is my back up plan at least

POE: 5/17/2011

Wedding: 5/21/2011

AOS Mailed: 6/17/2011

NOA1 6/27/2011

RFE 7/13/2011

EAD approved 8/22/2011 :)

AOS Approved 9/14/2011 :) :) :)

USCIS Free till 2013!!!!!!!!! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

I am in a very similar boat. Though my wedding is small and not very pricey, we were planning on August too and had to put some deposits down. (Got the NOA Aug 7)

It keeps things in perspective though, right? I can't exactly get stressed out about the flower arrangements if I'm worried about whether the groom will make it.

I am still optimistic - but it will be tight. I am guessing/hoping it will take about 3-4 months from the NOA2 until the interview. Have you checked out Igor's list? "Working on the Aug 21st petitions" doesn't really tell you anything as they only update that info once a month, I hear.

In hind site, I never would have planned a wedding at all if I'd known it would be this close. But in our defense, when we started planning the wedding and getting the visa together, the average time for an NOA1 was about 6 weeks not 6 months!!

09/02/10 Mailed I-129F

09/07/10 NOA1

03/17/11 NOA2 approved

06/06/11 Interview. Visa approved. Told we'll get visa in 7-10 days. Lies.

07/12/11 Visa in hand

07/15/11 Arrival in the U.S.

07/21/11 Marriage

07/28/11 Mailed I-485

08/03/11 NOA for I-485

08/29/11 Biometrics

10/17/11 Greencard interview. Approved.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; You'll make it before August!! As long if there arent any problems popping up..

Just make sure yall pass the interview :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thank you to everyone for all the comments! We are pretty confident that we'll receive it as well, but always nice to hear from others and get that reassurance. And kikip that has been our back up plan all along as well. IF for some reason we don't get it in time, we will do the same...proceed with the ceremony and reception but not do the paperwork. Would just make it so much easier to have the visa and do the paperwork for marriage all at once! Good luck to you as well! Hopefully it works out for both of us :)

Just be careful, if you do need to rely on your back-up plan, not to arrive in the US for your worst case scenario and tell the IO that you're planning on getting married, and expect to just breeze through POE...

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Im a october 5th noa 1 reviever and have my wedding set and 100 ppl invited for the 19th of june .. Sooooo i bet you have more luck than me !

09-13-10 got engaged <3

09-28-10 Sent I129-F Express

09-29-10 Delivered to Lewisville,TX but forwarded to Dallas

09-30-10 Delivered and Signed in Person in DALLAS

10-05-10 NOA 1

10-08-10 touched

10-11-10 touched

04-13-10 NOA 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-14-10 MEDICAL

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.