Canadiana013

k1-ers waiting for Montreal

397 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all!

Thanks for being so helpful up to this point. It's nice to finally have a thread where people are willing to help out... some others are not so friendly.

Can anyone explain when the earliest my fiance can send Packet 3 off is? Can I contact the Department of State to see if it's been sent to him, and if it has, just return all of the paperwork and complete the online form before he actually gets the physical copy of Packet 3?

He's planning on coming to visit me in mid-April -- however, this is around the 5 month mark for the CSC service center. I don't want to delay at all in returning Packet 3, and might be having someone mail it back for us, if it's at all possible.

Thanks so much, again!

When the DOS tells you that your P3 has been mailed to you thats when you can send it in. Thats what I've been told by alot of people who have done that very thing, and I've done it as well I'm just waiting for montreal to log my P3 now.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all!

Thanks for being so helpful up to this point. It's nice to finally have a thread where people are willing to help out... some others are not so friendly.

Can anyone explain when the earliest my fiance can send Packet 3 off is? Can I contact the Department of State to see if it's been sent to him, and if it has, just return all of the paperwork and complete the online form before he actually gets the physical copy of Packet 3?

He's planning on coming to visit me in mid-April -- however, this is around the 5 month mark for the CSC service center. I don't want to delay at all in returning Packet 3, and might be having someone mail it back for us, if it's at all possible.

Thanks so much, again!

Yes, you can start filing the forms for Packet 3 right away, get your photos done and send it to Montreal as soon as DOS tells you Packet 3 has been mailed to the applicant. I have been advised not to file DS-160 too early as it's an online one linked to their database so I actually waited for that one until I knew I was ready to send it in.

If you wait to get your Packet 3 physical copy, that could be another month's worth of delay. Mine was mailed Feb 28 and it didn't show up in the mail yet. I successfully sent my P3 (Xpresspost overnight) when DOS told me it had been mailed and I was eligible to schedule my interview yesterday.

Everything you need for your P3 is explained on the consulate's website here : http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_pkt3

As of now, next available appointments are mid-July but a bunch of us noticed lately that earlier dates randomly becomes available. You might get lucky and snag an earlier one (I was). :dance:

Good luck!

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I've booked my interview! It's too far away but it will do! Now to lurk in wait for a better date...

**I posted this excellent news elsewhere outside the Canada forum, but then I thought timeline information might also be useful in this thread?

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I've booked my interview! It's too far away but it will do! Now to lurk in wait for a better date...

**I posted this excellent news elsewhere outside the Canada forum, but then I thought timeline information might also be useful in this thread?

YAY grats! Man oh man hope I'm soon!

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Timeline

Cheers Iampatricias! I hope you do get something more convenient... and much sooner!!!

ROC completed April 2014

Timeline

You must be! You're only like 3 or 4 days behind me!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Timeline

The consulate mailed us Packet 3 on March 8th. We still have not received it. We sent in Packet 3 on the12th, it was delivered on the 16th. They still have not logged it. So 2 months from NOA2 and still no interview date- and Montreal is a 4 month wait for interview. So we're looking at a year for this whole process. Unreal. Maybe DOS should equip the Toronto Consulate to handle K1's too. Why they don't is beyond me.

This should all be done electronically and the visa should be given at the interview. After going through all this and then making people wait yet again for the visa through DHL is just cruel.

Sent I129-F to Vermont Service Center- 7/23/10

NOA1- 7/29/10

NOA2- 1/26/11

Case sent to Montreal Consulate General of the United States, Visa Unit 1/31/11

Consulate received case from NVC 2/23/11

RFE-for Canadian proof of Status 2/23/11

Packet 3 received from consulate- 3/07/11

Packet 3 sent (2nd time after a correction)- 3/28/11

Packet 3 received by consulate/Packet 4 sent- 4/8/11

Interview-5/18/11

Visa received 6/16/11

Timeline

BM,

Yes, you can send off packet 3 before you get the hard copy. I called DOS several times to ask if Montreal had received my file from the NVC. (In my case, this took about 3 weeks). I sent packet 3 as soon as DOS told me my file had been processed in Montreal and packet 3 was sent. It took about a week for me to receive the hard copy.

The phone number for DOS is 1-202-663-1225 (same as above), Press 1, then 0 to talk to a human being :thumbs: Have your MTL case number ready.

I agree with you BM. This is by far my favourite thread. Thanks everyone for being so helpful! :D

The consulate mailed us Packet 3 on March 8th. We still have not received it. We sent in Packet 3 on the12th, it was delivered on the 16th. They still have not logged it. So 2 months from NOA2 and still no interview date- and Montreal is a 4 month wait for interview. So we're looking at a year for this whole process. Unreal. Maybe DOS should equip the Toronto Consulate to handle K1's too. Why they don't is beyond me.

This should all be done electronically and the visa should be given at the interview. After going through all this and then making people wait yet again for the visa through DHL is just cruel.

:( I am just glad that the DHL office is down the street from me. And I hear you, I imagine we will get an interview for August *crosses fingers*. It will be exactly 1 year since we started the process. I still feel silly after thinking we would actually be married and living together before Jan.2011...

Edited by TheFantastics09

UJaZm4.png

***Ever thine, ever mine, ever ours... xoxo***

Timeline

You might get lucky and snag an earlier appointment, there was April/May availability last week!

Don't forget once you schedule your interview, you can still randomly check CSC website to reschedule. Hang in there guys, you are close to the end! Times seems to stretch... I know :(

ROC completed April 2014

Timeline

My Packet 3 stuff was tracked as "delivered" on March 10th so it really can't be much longer!

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I just found this forum and I think it is great!

The advice on sending Packet 3 forms before receiving it is very helpful.

Our packet 3 was sent on March 15, but based on your experiences, I don't expect we will receive it soon.

One clarification :

Do we have to send all the DS forms and fill out the online one as part of our packet 3? Some people told us that all we will need to send back to get an interview is DS230 part 1, and the signed checklist.

We called DOS to ask, but they told us to just wait for the instructions in packet 3.

Were the instructions specific to send all the forms?

Thanks a lot!

Timeline

Yes, definitely send all the forms as per this link: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/content/content.asp?section=visas&document=visa_pkt3

You don't need to mail in the 'additional evidence'. Bring the pictures and everything else with you to the interview.

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

April 5, 2011 - Medical

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response!

So you have to send the passport photos and bring additional passport photos to the interview? Or did you mean the evidence of relationship photos are what you bring to the interview?

We'll fill out and send back each of those forms and the online one.

Thanks again!

Edited by g&r2011

Timeline

Thanks for the quick response!

So you have to send the passport photos and bring additional passport photos to the interview? Or did you mean the evidence of relationship photos are what you bring to the interview?

We'll fill out and send back each of those forms and the online one.

Thanks again!

You complete and send everything on the list for your Packet 3 to Montreal. Everything else you save for your interview. No point in adding more.

When you click on the link Iampatricias posted, you'll be able to get the forms. Instructions are provided there. The consulate's website also provides a list of documents to bring to the interview. I highly recommend you to start gathering everything now. You probably want to keep busy while you wait anyway ;)

Good luck!

ROC completed April 2014

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.