danmera

Should my wife travel alone to the US. This will be her First time to the US.

11 posts in this topic

My wife and I are still waiting for the US embassy to approve her visa. They have received the CEMAR document, so now we wait

while they review her case. She has never been married before so there is no reason why she shouldn't be approved.

Since her interview was on February 2nd we made plans for my wife and i to go to Florida for a vacation in early March.

I was going to fly back Manila in late February so we could fly back to the US together. But with this latest delay, its highly unlikely she will get her visa in time.

So, my wife and i discussed if she wanted to travel to the US by herself. She is very nervous about traveling international alone. I am as well as i have heard immigration will likely question her again and could even send her back to Manila if they so choose.

Here are my questions/concerns for any of you who have traveled to the US for the first time by yourself, especially those who were issued a CR-1 type visa. K-1 or K-3 holders are also welcome to tell me their stories.

My wife would be flying into Seattle.

- What can she expect when she lands in Seattle and goes through immigration there?

- What are the chances she will get questioned and possibly sent back to Manila?

I would have her fly Delta and go through the Tokyo airport as i have been through that airport many times.

- any travel tips for my wife would also be helpful. I have traveled to Manila 7 times but i am sure there some good travel tips out there for first time international travelers.

My wife would greatly appreciate input on this so she can decide if she wants to attempt to travel to the US for the first time by herself.

Thanks!

Timeline

I also was very worried about my then fiancee flying alone here. She had never been out of her own country and even traveled very far away from her own home in her country. Flying around the world is old news to me.

I assumed that I was going to fly back and bring her here with me and when she finally received the pink I told her that I would start looking for tickets for me to fly there and us fly back together. She shocked me by telling me NO. She wanted to come to me on her own. I had come to her and then did all I could to see that she got the visa that she said she wanted to come to me this time on her own. I was shocked. I was proud of her that she wanted to but scared also. She had always been sheltered her whole life and never been away on her own. After a bit of back and forth I said OK.

When the time came I had no way to keep in touch with her the whole time. I had her itinerary and the whole 2 days I kept using the internet to track her flights. (Never had I used the refresh button so much) My stress was way up there and I prayed more in that time than I have ever in that space of time before. The greatest relief was when she arrived and was safe and sound but tired. I wanted to cry.

I also was very worried about my then fiancee flying alone here. She had never been out of her own country and even traveled very far away from her own home in her country. Flying around the world is old news to me.

I assumed that I was going to fly back and bring her here with me and when she finally received the pink I told her that I would start looking for tickets for me to fly there and us fly back together. She shocked me by telling me NO. She wanted to come to me on her own. I had come to her and then did all I could to see that she got the visa that she said she wanted to come to me this time on her own. I was shocked. I was proud of her that she wanted to but scared also. She had always been sheltered her whole life and never been away on her own. After a bit of back and forth I said OK.

When the time came I had no way to keep in touch with her the whole time. I had her itinerary and the whole 2 days I kept using the internet to track her flights. (Never had I used the refresh button so much) My stress was way up there and I prayed more in that time than I have ever in that space of time before. The greatest relief was when she arrived and was safe and sound but tired. I wanted to cry.

Thanks for the reply. I have my wife reading these replies as well, so hopefully this will inspire her!

Hi!

I am a filipina and I travelled a lot, I have never been to the US though... To answer your question, you best ask your fiancee how she feels about traveling alone... If she is confident about it...

Her traveling along will really help save ticket cost. I will be traveling alone also, I think the key is not to act nervous and over eager. Just remain professional and answers the immigration officer directly... Limit answers to one sentence.

Tell her to take a deep breath before facing the officer, it will help calm her nerves.

Goodluck!!!

My wife and I are still waiting for the US embassy to approve her visa. They have received the CEMAR document, so now we wait

while they review her case. She has never been married before so there is no reason why she shouldn't be approved.

Since her interview was on February 2nd we made plans for my wife and i to go to Florida for a vacation in early March.

I was going to fly back Manila in late February so we could fly back to the US together. But with this latest delay, its highly unlikely she will get her visa in time.

So, my wife and i discussed if she wanted to travel to the US by herself. She is very nervous about traveling international alone. I am as well as i have heard immigration will likely question her again and could even send her back to Manila if they so choose.

Here are my questions/concerns for any of you who have traveled to the US for the first time by yourself, especially those who were issued a CR-1 type visa. K-1 or K-3 holders are also welcome to tell me their stories.

- What can she expect when she lands in Seattle and goes through immigration there?

- What are the chances she will get questioned and possibly sent back to Manila?

I would have her fly Delta and go through the Tokyo airport as i have been through that airport many times.

- any travel tips for my wife would also be helpful. I have traveled to Manila 7 times but i am sure there some good travel tips out there for first time international travelers.

My wife would greatly appreciate input on this so she can decide if she wants to attempt to travel to the US for the first time by herself.

Thanks!

She'll be fine....i myself also travelled going here in US alone the first time....im sure she can do it...im looking forward to welcome here in US :)

Thanks!

I flew here by myself and have had no problem at all. I guess, having been in a different countries before made my first flight to the US a lot easier.

My POE was Dallas, and so far, the immigration officers who took my yellow envelope and assisted me were polite and courteous.

While taking biometrics and opening the envelope, the IO asked me only two questions:

1. How was your flight?

2. Where's your husband?

...and that was it!

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Thanks!

If u can afford why not???Or u can get her a direct flight. I came here by myself 4 years ago.. The interview at the POE is just basic like who is ur petitioner and why are u here??

As long as she knows how to read, understand English then she is fine. I was nervous too coz that was my very first time to be on a plane. I was fine,,i even had 3 connecting trips to GA.

The only reason why one is scared is if she can not communicate .

Filed: Timeline

its not hard to travel alone, yeah for the first time you will be nervous but after u are the plane u will find out its ok. i just arrived here in US this february 18, i used delta airline and luckily we got promotion airfare, after she arrived in japan, just follow the arrow where she can see connecting flight and then she can look also at the monitor what gate she's going to wait before boarding. its really easy and dont be nervous. i travel alone going here.oh by the way,the delta staff can give I-94 and she need to fill out and give it to the immigration officer after arrival after she arrived at the port of entry the immigration officer will check your passport, ticket and I-94 and then the immigration officer assist you to go at the line for the new immigrant. your fiancee ask basic question like what is your fiance(e) birthday, where did u met? how many years u been together? same question at the embassy. and after that the immigration stamp passport and the half of 1-94 stapled it to her passport that she can us for AOS. hope it can help. Im just new to this journey.

My wife and her 14 year old daughter flew alone last July. Manila - Tokyo - Detroit (POE) - Atlanta. They treated it as an adventure, with no apprehension at all. At POE Detroit, the immigration officials were truly great. My wife says they only asked two questions. 1- what is your fiancee's name. 2. When is the wedding. When my wife said "as soon as possible", the immigration official said AWESOME. It made a great first impression on my wife.

Actually it could have been very stressful but the folks in Detroit took care of everything. My wife didn't know at the time, but the US Embassy Manila had mistakenly given the 14 year old a K1 visa, the same as my wife. In Detroit they asked who was the 14 year old going to marry? They handled it very well and gave her a paper K2 visa with the annotaton that the Embassy in Manila had screwed up.

I was the one sweating bullets in Atlanta waiting for them.

Seattle is easy. Here are some POE reviews for Seattle: click here.

Approaching zero.

- any travel tips for my wife would also be helpful.

1. Bring enough Php to pay for the airport fee at NAIA. I think it's around 750 Php.

2. Bring enough Php for any overweight baggage fee at NAIA. Check your airline's web site for fee amount.

3. Bring enough $$$ for a burger and a coke at McDo in the Tokyo airport. They don't take Php.

4. Pack your important documents in your carry-on.

5. It's chilly on the plane...dress accordingly.

6. When you land in Seattle, borrow a cell phone from one of the passengers and call your hubby.

7. When in doubt, always ask someone. People are glad to help.

Have a nice flight...and welcome to the U.S. :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.