USUY2010

Traveling Without a Green Card?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Uruguay
Timeline

Hello all!

I thought our journey was finally over for the next 3 years, but it appears that it's not meant to be so. I received a Welcome Notice on Feb. 3 saying that I will be mailed a Permanent Resident Card soon. My brother is getting married at the beginning of March, and so I made travel arrangements to go back to my home country Feb 26. However, the GC is nowhere to be seen. When I went to the interview, I asked to get my passport stamped, and the IO said she couldn't do it unless I had a plane ticket. She recommended me to get a plane ticket and make an InfoPass, to get my passport stamped. I did all this and when we went to our InfoPass the lady there told us I should've already received my Welcome Packet and my Green Card too, so she couldn't stamp my passport. I thought the Welcome Packet was the Welcome Notice that I received, but now I am unsure. We need some advice on what to do next. My plane leaves Feb 26. We still haven't got any Green Card. I tried calling USCIS, but there wasn't anything they could do, since 30 days haven't passed already. And we can't make another InfoPass appointment because all the slots are taken. I'm starting to freak out a bit. Thanks in advance for any input!

Ah! Another curious fact, although I received the letter of approval dated Feb 3. the system has my date of approval as Feb 8. And so I have to wait 30 days as of Feb 8. to properly complain. *sigh*

Oh no! Infopass sounds good, but I don't understand what you wrote. The Infopass person said she couldn't give you a stamp because you received your welcome letter? Did you explain that your GC has not come in the mail? (I am sure you did, just want to get the story/make sure I have it right).

Have you received any "card production" emails?

I'd keep checking infopass appts - maybe someone will cancel. So lame... so sorry!

Maybe someone else will have a neat trick that can solve everything :)

Best of luck.

And... you said journey over for 3 years, if you are newlyweds, you do know you have to apply to remove conditions in 2 years, right? (I thought I remembered that you guys were newlyweds)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Hello Harpa! Thanks for your quick reply! I'm so sorry, I was so flustered, I just quickly typed things and I'm sorry if it doesn't make much sense.

In 2 years we have to remove conditions, that is right.

I received a "Card Production E-mail", and the Welcome Notice letter on the mail. The USCIS site shows the application in "Post-Decision Activity" though.

We did explain to the lady at InfoPass that our GC had not arrived on the mail. She tried to blame it on us living on an apartment or moving out. Things which are not true, we live in a house and we haven't moved since we started the process. After this she said that the post office must have it and that I need to talk to the post office. Then my husband tried asking if there's any kind of tracking number if we were to contact the post office, to which she started talking about the application number. So I think this woman was just really not very competent, and not very helpful.

Thanks for your support! :) We are really hoping it arrives soon, or a spot opens at the InfoPass, otherwise I think we'll just have to do a walk-in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

You must get back there on an Infopass, as you can't come back to US if you don't have at least a stamp in your passport.

That lady that you initially spoke to lives on a different planet.

Sorry for what you are going through! (F)

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Agreed about making another Infopass appointment. Keep trying at all hours and times. Select all options that are available to find one with a slot open. The woman who wouldn't help you was being ridiculous. Take your proof of travel plane tickets, take the invitation, take the welcome letter and tell her that while the green card has supposedly been ordered, it has not arrived and you are about to miss your brother's wedding as well as lose the money for the tickets that you were told to buy by someone acting on behalf of USCIS. If the person says that this is not possible and you have to wait, ask to speak to her supervisor. Be polite but be firm. You are an approved permanent resident and legally you are supposed to have proof of your status in your possession at all time. You are asking for that proof - the I-551 stamp in your passport. It doesn't need to be for a full year - it can be for 3 months or 6 months or whatever. You are doing your best to comply with US regulations, have imminent need to travel and can prove it, and request proof of your legal status.

Time is short but you may also wish to approach your Senator or Congressman and ask for their help. They have staff who work on immigration levels and sometimes in cases like this they can pull the necessary strings to get done what should have been done without this hassle.

Hopefully, your actual green card will arrive in time regardless of what else you get done.

Good luck.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Thanks very much Kathryn. What you said really helps us. I was trying to be polite last time, and I think I let the person just get away with it. We are checking InfoPass several times a day so when we see an open slot, we'll take it. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help!

Filed: Other Timeline

Or . . . you just take a deep breath and wait for your card to arrive the coming week. I would be surprised if that didn't happen.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

It won't hurt to also check the other USCIS office in Norfolk, VA. It might take you about 2 hours to get there, but you never know, they might not be that busy as the Fairfax one.

Good luck!

My N-400 Journey

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

My ROC Journey

My AOS Journey

04-19-10 AOS Approved

Timeline

Good news everyone! The card arrived today! I can now go home and be a part of my brother's wedding! I'm overjoyed! And just in time too, because we were planning on going to InfoPass tomorrow if the card didn't arrive today.

Just one more question. My card says Permanent Resident, although I though I'm a conditional resident? Is this what the card normally says? Or could it be a mistake? In any case the expiration date is in 2 years. So I think it's a conditional resident card.

Thank you very much for your patience! Can't tell you how much we appreciate everything you've done for us so far! Thank you!

Yay! Amazing!!

You are a permanent resident, and have all the same rights as a person with a 10-year GC. The only difference (the conditional part) is you have to apply to remove conditions in 2 years, not just renew your GC when it expires.

Have a great trip!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's great news! Congratulations! Safe travels and enjoy the wedding :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Good news everyone! The card arrived today!

Yay!!!! :dance: Good news!!!! :star: Enjoy your vacation!!!!

My N-400 Journey

My ROC Journey

My AOS Journey

04-19-10 AOS Approved

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Hey all!

Haven't been here in a while, but thought I'd update. My vacation was really great, though towards the end I was yearning to come back. Time has flown by now, and now I have a job and have started school. Things couldn't be going any better. Once more thanks for all the support you've given us!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.