ricochet

Does having a child together gives you a better chance of getting approved for a visa?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello VJ!!!:thumbs:

I just joined this site a few days ago and found alot of useful information but I haven't found anything on this topic so before I ask the question I would like to share my story.

My wife and I met in August of 2008 through a mutual friend. I wouldn't say love at first sight but there was an apparent attraction. After months of dating, chatting we decide to take the relationship further. She got pregnant with our daughter before we got married in June of 2009. After our wedding I had to return to the US. I decided to concentrate on the CRBA for our daughter after she was born so she can become a USC. I did all my research and knowing that it takes at least 3 months to get an interview for the CRBA, I got all the documents ready and set up the interview a month after my daughter was born. Scheduled my return flight to Vietnam in November of 2009 for 6 months to witness my daughter's birth and prepare for the CRBA interview. On January 8th, 2010 my beautiful daughter Tiana Chi Linh Tran was born. A month after that my wife, daughter and I were at the US Embassy awaiting our interview for the CRBA. At the interview, they asked us about our relationship and we also had to have proof of our marriage etc. etc. (Documents, Photos, phone call reciepts)alot like the interview process for the visas from what I've been reading. Well we got approved for the CRBA and was told to come back for my daughters passport and CRBA certificate. 3 weeks later, I went to pick up the certificate and passport. My daughter is now considered a USC and I can claim her as a dependent (L) . My wife and I decided that to become a real family we must stay together even though she is very financially stable in Vietnam. So that's when I did my research on the I-130. Returned to the US in April 2010 and decided to go on my visa journey. Well my case was completed on Feb. 14th, 2011 and now my wife and I are waiting for the interview date. So onto my questions lol

Does having a child together gives you a better chance of getting approved for a visa? Has anyone that have children together ever got denied for a visa? Doesn't having children together proves that the relationship is not a scam?

Thanks,

Ricky

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Plenty of people that have children together get denied visas. Having a child means you had sex, it doesn't prove a real relationship in USCIS eyes.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

I have a KID w. my wife and that hasnt help Nothing . He is even a US citizen already and have SS# . I hope it helps for the Interview Process because he got his passaport on the Embassy :blink:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Having children is no advantage in this system.. it could actually cause extra delays with DNA testing etc...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Having children is no advantage in this system.. it could actually cause extra delays with DNA testing etc...

I see it as a two-edged sword in that it can cause delays but overall is a positive to the eventual outcome. Based on the OP's story, I would not expect a DNA test to be requested at this point. They appear to have spent enough time together to show a bona fide relationship as well. I would prepare for the interview as any other at a difficult Consulate, move forward with confidence and expect a positive outcome.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I see it as a two-edged sword in that it can cause delays but overall is a positive to the eventual outcome. Based on the OP's story, I would not expect a DNA test to be requested at this point. They appear to have spent enough time together to show a bona fide relationship as well. I would prepare for the interview as any other at a difficult Consulate, move forward with confidence and expect a positive outcome.

:thumbs: I second that. Congrats on your daughter.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

Timeline

Thanks everyone for your reply. I don't think we would have to do any DNA testing since we already proved that she's my daughter. If there was DNA testing they would've suggested it at the CRBA interview. So right now we're just waiting for them to set the interview date for my wife's visa. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we can be together for our 2nd wedding anniversary lol.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your reply. I don't think we would have to do any DNA testing since we already proved that she's my daughter. If there was DNA testing they would've suggested it at the CRBA interview. So right now we're just waiting for them to set the interview date for my wife's visa. Hopefully everything will go smoothly and we can be together for our 2nd wedding anniversary lol.

I would also write, sign and have notarized an "evolution of relationship" letter. When you do, try to make it sound a bit less like you married because of the child, you know, more like you and the child's mother have a genuine relationship and would want to be together even if there wasn't a child. Maybe it was just your earlier wording but it gave that impression, not a good one for a successful visa interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I would also write, sign and have notarized an "evolution of relationship" letter. When you do, try to make it sound a bit less like you married because of the child, you know, more like you and the child's mother have a genuine relationship and would want to be together even if there wasn't a child. Maybe it was just your earlier wording but it gave that impression, not a good one for a successful visa interview.

:thumbs: This letter/statement is a big deal at HCMC. Spend time to put together a complete picture.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

THE DNA testing will not apply as longer you have notify the US goberment in the embassy on a US citizen Birth a broad . As i did w. my son . You need to also understand that if you have not inform the US goberment of your baby girl Birth in more than a year they may want to do that test .

It took me 6 months to get back to colombia and Notify my situation and they approve that and he is a US citizen leaving in Colombia w. US passport and SS# . They call him the gringo on my wife Barrio jjjjj

I really Wish all the best for you your wife and baby girl i know is so hard been with out them .

Regards

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.