Jen&Barry

Permanent residency to Citizenship

12 posts in this topic

Hi, hope anyone could answer this question for me.

I co-sponsored 3 people about 8 years ago. They are all working and 2 are married. My question is how long can they be a permanent resident before they must apply to be a citizen? Can they be a permanent resident idefinitely? I also divorced my now ex husband. I co-sponsored with him. Yes I know that doesnt release me from the obligation. But i just wanted to know how long they can be permanent residents before they are required to apply for citizenship....or if there is a timeline for this.

Thank You :unsure:

Your ex husband can file for naturalization 3 years after receipt of initial green card.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I co-sponsored 3 people about 8 years ago. They are all working and 2 are married. My question is how long can they be a permanent resident before they must apply to be a citizen? Can they be a permanent resident idefinitely? I also divorced my now ex husband. I co-sponsored with him. Yes I know that doesnt release me from the obligation. But i just wanted to know how long they can be permanent residents before they are required to apply for citizenship....or if there is a timeline for this.

If they came here on a K1 visa they are issued a temp GC for 2 years then they have to remove conditions within 90 days of the 2 year anniversary. Then they get a 10 yr GC. Have to be a resident for 3 years and then can apply for Citizenship. But they don't have to if not wanting to. They can just stay permanent resident and keep renewing GC. So they can become Citizens now yes

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Nobody MUST apply for citizenship... they can remain residents if they wish until the day they die or leave the USA

this is not a K-1 fiancee visa topic... moving the thread

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Your ex husband can file for naturalization 3 years after receipt of initial green card.

Wrong :no:

Three years if still married to us citizen, five years if not.

Also a resident in not required to become a citizen, they can remain a resident indefianatly filing I-90 to replace expired cards. I have a friend who is Canadian has greencard more than thirty years.

Your sponsorship obligation ends when:

• resident becomes citizen
  • resident works and is credited with 40 quarters of work
  • resident dies
  • resident gives up residency

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Wrong :no:

Three years if still married to us citizen, five years if not.

Also a resident in not required to become a citizen, they can remain a resident indefianatly filing I-90 to replace expired cards. I have a friend who is Canadian has greencard more than thirty years.

Your sponsorship obligation ends when:

• resident becomes citizen
  • resident works and is credited with 40 quarters of work
  • resident dies
  • resident gives up residency

or when the sponsor dies

YMMV

Thank you for all of your quick responses! I put this question here, as I didn't know where to post it.

Spoke to ex niece via email, and said the other 2 are studying for citizenship. I know it will be a matter of time. I won't wait for them. Still waiting on an answer from my co-sponsor. I hate being in limbo like this. My fiance hates not knowing either. He will be visiting me in July, thankfully. We miss each other so much. At least we have that to look forward to. I am also going to introduce him to the family. Maybe it will sway my reluctant sister into co-sponsoring with me. Have to wait and see.

I knew this journey wouldn't be easy, but it's worth waiting for the one you love. (F)

Cheers,

Jen (& Barryxx)

Edited by Barry&Jen

Filed: Other Timeline

Nobody needs to become a US citizen. The "moral" implications of becoming a US citizen aside, some people just won't do it because they would not want to lose their original citizenship. Countries like Saudi Arabia would put a crossbow on your head, India, Russia, Denmark just take away your citizenship, Germany and Austria as well unless a special permission has been obtained, and then there's Canada and the U.K. where everything is so happy happy sunshine sunshine, that it takes a certain degree of mental retardation not to file for US citizenship as early as possible.

If the people you are sponsored are from the Kingdom of the Queen, they will become US citizen as soon as possible.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Nobody needs to become a US citizen. The "moral" implications of becoming a US citizen aside, some people just won't do it because they would not want to lose their original citizenship. Countries like Saudi Arabia would put a crossbow on your head, India, Russia, Denmark just take away your citizenship, Germany and Austria as well unless a special permission has been obtained, and then there's Canada and the U.K. where everything is so happy happy sunshine sunshine, that it takes a certain degree of mental retardation not to file for US citizenship as early as possible.

If the people you are sponsored are from the Kingdom of the Queen, they will become US citizen as soon as possible.

The three I co-sponsored (2004) were from Mexico. My fiance I'm petitioning for now is from the UK. He can't wait to be a US citizen that's for sure. Those three I'm still accountable for even if they married, and are working and supporting themselves. They could of applied for citizenship three years ago. They just needed a kick in the pants to worry, since I was asking about their statuses, they worried I'd ruin their status as permanent residents.

Thank you for your reponses,

That was my rant, thank you for listening. :blush:

Jen& (&Barry)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The three I co-sponsored (2004) were from Mexico. My fiance I'm petitioning for now is from the UK. He can't wait to be a US citizen that's for sure. Those three I'm still accountable for even if they married, and are working and supporting themselves. They could of applied for citizenship three years ago. They just needed a kick in the pants to worry, since I was asking about their statuses, they worried I'd ruin their status as permanent residents.

Thank you for your reponses,

That was my rant, thank you for listening. :blush:

Jen& (&Barry)

Totally off topic, but I can't read your posts without thinking about ice cream. :P

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Totally off topic, but I can't read your posts without thinking about ice cream. :P

I know right? LoL. If we switch our first letter of our names it would be Ben&Jarry (Jerry) Isn't it funny? We thought the same thing too. :D

Jen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.