sarah&rob

Not sure if we have enough

16 posts in this topic

I am getting very worried now, reading how others got an RFE and how I have similar evidence to send in.

First - we have no joint utilities.

We live with my mom in the house I grew up in and everything is in her name or my dad's name (he passed away in March 2009). I had her get a notarized affidavit, but do you think I should include printouts of the cashed checks from my bank online account as more proof?

We only got a joint checking account for the purpose of paying rent in the beginning of 2010. Before that the checks would only have my name.

We opened our joint savings account in November 2008 shortly after we got married but I can't find any of the mailed statements from that far back.

Also, I have not changed my last name to his and I am hoping this does not look bad for us. It is just my personal preference for certain reasons, but I may choose to change it in the future.

I feel sometimes like I am overthinking things, but I don't know.

This is a list of everything we have:

Removal of Conditions

- Form I-751

- Check for $590 ($505 filing fee + $85 biometrics fee)

- Copy of Resident Alien Card (front & back)

Supporting Documents

- Copy of 2010 Federal & NJ e-file 1040 from tax prep group (Married Filing Jointly) with copies of both Robert Lastname’s and Sarah Lastname’s W-2s

- Tax Transcript for 2009 (Married Filing Jointly)

- Tax Transcript for 2008 (Married Filing Jointly)

- Copy of Sarah’s Pension & Life Insurance Beneficiary pages from State of NJ online system showing Robert as Primary Beneficiary

- Copy of Sarah’s Health Benefits page from State of NJ online system showing Robert as spouse & showing they had seen proof of marriage.

- Copies of Health Insurance Cards for Robert Lastname & Sarah Lastname showing same ID #s

- Copies of Dental Insurance applications from Sarah’s place of employment listing Robert as spouse

- Copies of Sarah Lastname’s NJ Driver License & Robert Lastname’s NJ State ID showing same address

- Copy of car title showing joint ownership

- Copies of Account Summary for Joint Savings Account & Joint Checking Account from Peapack-Gladstone Bank Online Account showing both names and opening dates

- Copy of a Savings Account statement & Copy of a Checking Account Statement both mailed from Peapack-Gladstone Bank

- Notarized Affidavit from Janet Lastname with whom Sarah & Robert reside (in lieu of lease or rent agreement)

- Notarized Affidavit from Stephen & Jessica Lastname (brother & sister-in-law)

- Notarized Affidavit from Misty Lastname (friend)

- Photographs of Sarah & Robert documenting various times together since they were married on October 31, 2008

What do you all think? Any advice for additional evidence we could provide?

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Feb 23, 2011: ROC packet sent to VSC

Feb 24, 2011: Packet rec'd at VSC

Feb 25, 2011: NOA date

Mar 04, 2011: Rec'd NOA dated 2/25

Mar 18, 2011: Rec'd Biometrics Appt letter

Apr 08, 2011: Biometrics Appointment

Aug 26, 2011: Approval letter rec'd dated 8/22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Hello.

What's a Notarized Affidavit? And what is that for? Thank You and Good Luck!

These are letters written by friends and/or family attesting to knowledge of a bonifide marital relationship.

Look in the Example Forms above for examples of what these look like.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Hello.

What's a Notarized Affidavit? And what is that for? Thank You and Good Luck!

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/I-751_support.doc

It's a statement from friends/family saying they have known you since you were married, see you and your spouse together living as a happy married couple and whatnot. I have seen people say they aren't really necessary but it says in the I-751 instructions that you should have at least 2.

They're mostly helpful like in my case where we don't have *any* joint utilities to show.

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Another question, Im on a K1 Fiance Visa, even tho not asked should I send one anyways to even assure my case even more? We are not married yet of course that after I recieve my visa, that the whole purpose of the visa lol.

Thanks once again.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

http://www.visajourn...751_support.doc

It's a statement from friends/family saying they have known you since you were married, see you and your spouse together living as a happy married couple and whatnot. I have seen people say they aren't really necessary but it says in the I-751 instructions that you should have at least 2.

They're mostly helpful like in my case where we don't have *any* joint utilities to show.

A notarised affadavit has to be signed by a notary public otherwise it is just an affadavit. Am not sure if the family affadavits are applicable as they could be seen as predjudice being family members who aren't going to say anything against you. Just a thought is all, I would personally get affadavits from friends or work colleagues who know of your situation and know about your living arrangements.:thumbs:

Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Another question, Im on a K1 Fiance Visa, even tho not asked should I send one anyways to even assure my case even more? We are not married yet of course that after I recieve my visa, that the whole purpose of the visa lol.

Thanks once again.

No you don't need one

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

A notarised affadavit has to be signed by a notary public otherwise it is just an affadavit. Am not sure if the family affadavits are applicable as they could be seen as predjudice being family members who aren't going to say anything against you. Just a thought is all, I would personally get affadavits from friends or work colleagues who know of your situation and know about your living arrangements.:thumbs:

Well my issue is that I was married in Las Vegas. The only people who were there with us were my two brothers and my brother's fiancee (now my sis-in-law). That is why I asked my bro & sis-in-law to do one for us.

My husband has no friends here and my friends all live in different states. My one friend who I did ask to do one (and hopefully will be getting it notarized tomorrow and then mailing to me asap *cross fingers*) lives in Texas and we went to visit her last March...so she is the only of my friends to see us together as a married couple.

The one from my mom is in place of a lease or rent agreement because we don't have that. We just give her a check every month.

Edit - None of my co-workers have ever spent time with my husband & I together. Some of them have met him, but they don't know how we are together just hanging out...if we are happy, etc. The most they could put in an affidavit is that they have seen us together in the same room once.

Edited by sarah&rob

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

I am getting very worried now, reading how others got an RFE and how I have similar evidence to send in.

We live with my mom in the house I grew up in and everything is in her name or my dad's name (he passed away in March 2009). I had her get a notarized affidavit, but do you think I should include printouts of the cashed checks from my bank online account as more proof?

We only got a joint checking account for the purpose of paying rent in the beginning of 2010. Before that the checks would only have my name.

We opened our joint savings account in November 2008 shortly after we got married but I can't find any of the mailed statements from that far back.

Also, I have not changed my last name to his and I am hoping this does not look bad for us. It is just my personal preference for certain reasons, but I may choose to change it in the future.

This thread got a little side-tracked. I think your evidence looks great. What I did is put a page right behind the application form called

EVIDENCE I AM NOT SENDING AND REASONS WHY NOT

1. Joint lease or mortgage

2. Utility bills in both names

3. Etc.....

Then I wrote a short explanation addressing those things. I think it's good to let them know you didn't just leave it out and they know a little more about your lifestyle. I also didn't change my name. Don't think they will care.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

This thread got a little side-tracked. I think your evidence looks great. What I did is put a page right behind the application form called

EVIDENCE I AM NOT SENDING AND REASONS WHY NOT

1. Joint lease or mortgage

2. Utility bills in both names

3. Etc.....

Then I wrote a short explanation addressing those things. I think it's good to let them know you didn't just leave it out and they know a little more about your lifestyle. I also didn't change my name. Don't think they will care.

Thank you so much. That's such a great idea, I would have never thought about doing something like that! :)

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your list looks great to me. I would agree with Nich-Nick regarding a letter describing your living situation and why you are not sending certain documents. Good luck!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Other Timeline

You worry too much.

First, because I almost got brain bleeding when reading this: do not, I repeat, do not go the negative route as in "what I did not do."

You always add to a petition what helps making your case. If you are a defense attorney, don't tell the jury why you would understand that they may believe your client is guilty. Instead tell 'em why he is innocent.

Thus, I suggest you add a cover page telling the I.O. in one (1) paragraph who you guys are and how you live. You continue this page with a list of the items you are submitting. Don't exceed one page total for all of this.

In addition, I am advising you to fill out a formal rental contract between your mom and you and your husband. Date it back to the day you moved in as a couple. Combined with some checks, that's as good as it gets to cover the pillar of cohabitation. You covered taxes, which is pillar two, and co-mingling of finances, which is the third and last pillar.

The rest is fine. You don't need any affidavits. This is a sure-fire approval without an RFE on the horizon. Wanna bet?.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

any joint clubs sams,AAA,etc. any trips togather, hotal, flights, phone bills togather, cover letter, one letter list items index,your evidence looks good,

This is a list of everything we have:

Removal of Conditions

- Form I-751

- Check for $590 ($505 filing fee + $85 biometrics fee)

- Copy of Resident Alien Card (front & back)

Supporting Documents

- Copy of 2010 Federal & NJ e-file 1040 from tax prep group (Married Filing Jointly) with copies of both Robert Lastname's and Sarah Lastname's W-2s

- Tax Transcript for 2009 (Married Filing Jointly)

- Tax Transcript for 2008 (Married Filing Jointly)

- Copy of Sarah's Pension & Life Insurance Beneficiary pages from State of NJ online system showing Robert as Primary Beneficiary

- Copy of Sarah's Health Benefits page from State of NJ online system showing Robert as spouse & showing they had seen proof of marriage.

- Copies of Health Insurance Cards for Robert Lastname & Sarah Lastname showing same ID #s

- Copies of Dental Insurance applications from Sarah's place of employment listing Robert as spouse

- Copies of Sarah Lastname's NJ Driver License & Robert Lastname's NJ State ID showing same address

- Copy of car title showing joint ownership

- Copies of Account Summary for Joint Savings Account & Joint Checking Account from Peapack-Gladstone Bank Online Account showing both names and opening dates

- Copy of a Savings Account statement & Copy of a Checking Account Statement both mailed from Peapack-Gladstone Bank

- Notarized Affidavit from Janet Lastname with whom Sarah & Robert reside (in lieu of lease or rent agreement)

- Notarized Affidavit from Stephen & Jessica Lastname (brother & sister-in-law)

- Notarized Affidavit from Misty Lastname (friend)

- Photographs of Sarah & Robert documenting various times together since they were married on October 31, 2008

What do you all think? Any advice for additional evidence we could provide?

You dont need letters notarized.. you dont even need any letters.. you have way too much supporting documents as is.. you'l be fine. Sorry, I didn't bother reading all the other posts, coz its just way too long...

This is what we sent as documents:

joint tax return

life insurance

car insurance with registration

phone bills

electric bills

bank statement

6 pictures with friends and family

lease

thats it..

Edited by Abby-Ron

You worry too much.

First, because I almost got brain bleeding when reading this: do not, I repeat, do not go the negative route as in "what I did not do."

You always add to a petition what helps making your case. If you are a defense attorney, don't tell the jury why you would understand that they may believe your client is guilty. Instead tell 'em why he is innocent.

Thus, I suggest you add a cover page telling the I.O. in one (1) paragraph who you guys are and how you live. You continue this page with a list of the items you are submitting. Don't exceed one page total for all of this.

In addition, I am advising you to fill out a formal rental contract between your mom and you and your husband. Date it back to the day you moved in as a couple. Combined with some checks, that's as good as it gets to cover the pillar of cohabitation. You covered taxes, which is pillar two, and co-mingling of finances, which is the third and last pillar.

The rest is fine. You don't need any affidavits. This is a sure-fire approval without an RFE on the horizon. Wanna bet?.

I wouldn't draw up a contract, merely for the sake of getting evidence for the I-751. It is not necessary, and it might not represent reality.

It is not mandatory for couples to provide a lease agreement. USCIS is looking for evidence that the couple is still a couple, and such is one of the things that can help prove it, you do not have to provide it for the sake of providing it. If you have an explanation why you did not enter into one (and living with your family seems like a common sense explanation), then it seems better to simply add a note explaining this. The OP's Mom's affidavit can help there too, so it's good she has that.

I agree with you where you said that adding the tile "why I did NOT send such and such documents" is a bit oddly phrased. But it seems like a good idea to explain why you for instance do not have joint utility bills. If the Officers does not find any bills, he might wonder why not, and send an RFE. A brief explanation might make this unnecessary.

As an attorney, I did something similar in my cases anyway, rather than just omitting things. And as an applicant, that's what I will do in our case too (we just moved and can't locate a lot of our past utility bills, but I will add copies of checks I sent from our joint checking account to pay for the bills, and add a note explaining all this.)

Website US Department of State, Consular Affairs Bureau: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1339.html

Thank you for easing my mind :)

In regards to a formal rental contract with my mom, our arrangement is very informal and any of the free forms I have looked at have all these extra clauses and rules that don't apply to us. We don't really have any restrictions or rules, we all share food, we all share the full house. We just write my mom a check every month to help out and call it "rent".

That's why I chose to have her do the affidavit and get it notarized. If it will really make a serious difference though, I guess I can always find a room rental contract or something and just delete all the stuff that doesn't apply to us.

Sarahusaukflag.jpgRobbie

Our ROC Journey

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.