silvana.toma

Got my EAD, but now I'm having trouble getting my SSN

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

So i got my EAD a week ago, and went to my local SSN office to apply for a SSN, as my hubby can not file his taxes without that, as he claimed me as his dependant. While at the local office the lady told me she can not "verify" my information, and i have to call on friday. Now it's friday and i called and the lady there told me i need to go there personaly, so i told her i can not as my hubby can not leave work, and i have no way of getting there. Then she asked me some questions for security purpose, and then she told me my information was not verified yet, and that i should check back in. So i asked her when??, and she said she doesn't know ...whenever they will verify it with homeland security dept. So who knows it could be this year, if i'm lucky. :angry:

Did any of you encounter this issue while getting your ssn? Is it normal?

Tx again like always,

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When I applied for my SSN it took quite a few weeks for them to "verify" my information. I had to call every week and make sure they stayed on top of it because I did not want to wait long for it. It took almost 4 weeks for me to get mine in the mail.

Also, spouses are not dependents they are spouses on the tax forms.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

First, you cannot be claimed as a dependant. Spouses are never dependant. You can file jointly which what I'll assume you meant.

Second, it can take anywhere from 1-6 weeks for them to verify your info.

When my wife got her SSN initially it only took a week but when she did the name change it took 4.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I dont think can claim a spouse as a dependent, you are simply filing a joint Tax Return.

It can take 1-2 weeks for USCIS to update database used by SSA to verify the EAD and immigrations status.

I suspect you will have number in a week or so, or you could simply re-visit SSA office, and if their check is complete they may give you the number before you get the card in the mail.

This is normal, I see posts like this very often.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

So i got my EAD a week ago, and went to my local SSN office to apply for a SSN, as my hubby can not file his taxes without that, as he claimed me as his dependant. While at the local office the lady told me she can not "verify" my information, and i have to call on friday. Now it's friday and i called and the lady there told me i need to go there personaly, so i told her i can not as my hubby can not leave work, and i have no way of getting there. Then she asked me some questions for security purpose, and then she told me my information was not verified yet, and that i should check back in. So i asked her when??, and she said she doesn't know ...whenever they will verify it with homeland security dept. So who knows it could be this year, if i'm lucky. :angry:

Tx again like always,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with SS, You shouldn't be having troubles unless you had bad history... When you're husband is free go to your local SS office right away to fix the problem...

Anyway, just to let you know, My husband tried to claim me as a dependant when he filed for his taxes, but apparently, they cannot claim spouses as a dependant... only Parents or Child, although BOTH of you could file jointly and that should add something on your hubby's tax return.

N-400 Application

4/18/2016 (Day 1) - Package sent to Lewisville, TX

4/22/2016 (Day 3) - Received Package

4/25/2016 (Day 6) - $680 Cleared on credit card

4/29/2016 (Day 10) - Biometrics Scheduled

5/10/2016 (Day 20) - Early Biometrics (Walk in) Originally scheduled for 5/18 @ 2pm

8/16/2016 (Day 120) - Scheduled for an interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Ok, my bad...i am not a dependant. Thank you for letting me know it takes a while, i didn't know, i almost started to freak out, thinking maybe i might have be in some sort of trouble since it takes so long to verify...

Tx again, and i will do what you said call every week, to make sure they are on top of things!

I LOVE visa journey!!!!! I appreciate all the help you guys have been given me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Looks like you have to keep calling and paying them visits until they would wrap things up for you. Sorry that they make things so complicated for you! (F)

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

I think in the meantime you could apply for a ITN (think that's it) - you should find the info for this on the IRS website. I don't know how long one of these takes but it may be quicker / longer than getting SSN. Many people have this problem with the system that SSA and Homeland Security use. It is slow to update.

Filed: Timeline

I think in the meantime you could apply for a ITN (think that's it) - you should find the info for this on the IRS website. I don't know how long one of these takes but it may be quicker / longer than getting SSN. Many people have this problem with the system that SSA and Homeland Security use. It is slow to update.

No ITIN, since she is eligible for an SSN due to having the EAD card. Will just need to let the SSN application play out.

Filed: Timeline

Need to go back into the office to try to find out why it didn't verify, and what have done to resolve the matter. If you are lucky it will be another week, if not, might be another month or more.

Personally know of an application that was filed on 11/17/2010, and the person is still waiting. This was due to the office not following procedure, and is a worst case, but it could happen. Need to stay on top of things.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Normally it takes like 4 weeks to get SSN. When I first came here back in 2008 and applied for SNN, it took me 5 weeks to receive it. And my old employer said it could take longer. Hopefully you will get it soon.

11/8/10: Medical exam

11/12/10:Get married

11/19/10: I-693 sealed.It means my chest x ray is fine :)

11/20/10: Package [ I-130,I-485,I-765] sent to Lockbox

11/22/10 [Day 1]: Delivered there

11/29/10 [Day 7]: Return receipt from USPS

12/13/10 [Day 21]: Texts and email received [ after 21 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

12/16/10 [Day 24]: Snail copy received

12/18/10 [Day 26]: Every single form touched

12/20/10 [Day 28]: Biometrics letter received

1/13/11 [Day 51]: Biometrics done

1/24/11 [Day 62]: Biometrcis appointment received AGAIN.!!!!!!!!!I was like #######

2/04/11 [Day 72]: Second biometrics done

2/15/11 [Day 83]: EAD in production.

2/18/11 [Day 86]: Interview letter received, set for March 21

2/22/11 [Day 90]: EAD mailed out.

2/25/11 [Day 93]: EAD received

3/21/11 [Day 118]: Interview but left with no decision ToT

3/31/11 [Day 128]: RFE regarding police clearance

4/13/11 [Day 141]: RFE sent

4/19/11 [Day 147]: Card in production

4/22/11 [Day 150]: Welcome2USA letter received

It took 5 stressful months exactly.

Tx again like always,

Go there and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you have a valid EAD there is NO reason they should deny or hold up the SSN application process.

In my local office in NYC they were no better than idiots the first time we went there. We patiently waited more than two months when they told

us the application was valid and then it was rejected without sending her a letter of refusal to which she was entitled.

After AOS she finally got it but that was after a LONG hesitation by the clerk who was doing a search for the the verification

on his computer.

Since I had to do 2009 taxes before AOS was in hand, I had to go back to the SSA and DEMAND that they give her the refusal letter

for the SSN (reason, we got married too soon after her POE) in order to get a temporary tax ID for her. The temporary tax ID did not

come in time for April 15 so I just put on the form under SSN "pending."

She is working now and has had 2 jobs since last September and has held BOTH since the holiday season (when many people were laid off). good.gif

My EX wife couldn't find a second part-time job in over 7 years because she's getting the lion's share of MY income. mad.gif

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Normally it takes like 4 weeks to get SSN. When I first came here back in 2008 and applied for SNN, it took me 5 weeks to receive it. And my old employer said it could take longer. Hopefully you will get it soon.

Not really, it depends how busy the SSA office is and how do they normally operate when they see a non-US citizen application.

Mine took about 10 days and I was living in MA.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.