brian89

Email about 100% and 125%

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Sorry for the double post but I think who wonder about the 100% or the 125% would like to see this, so I had to change the title of my topic!

Got this email today from the consulate in Amsterdam:

Mr: XXXXXX :

If you have read the K1 process correctly, the affidavit of support formI-134 - DOES not require the 100% or the 125%.

Form can be found on: http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The 100% or the 125% is only required for the form I-864 – this form is NOT required for the K1 fiance visa application.

Full instructions on the following web page: http://amsterdam.usc...ov/k_visas.html

Important notice: Your K1 application can only be processed upon receipt of the approved I129F petition by the USCIS office and the physical K1 visa file has been received from the National Visa Center - Your K1 visa petition has NOT YET been received at this office.

Fiance visa applicants are also advised: NOT to give up my job. dispose of property, or make any final travel and wedding arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me.

Immigrant visa unit

------------------------------------

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I'm currently in the K1 process and reading about the poverty guidelines for the I-134 form that we have to provide at the final interview at the consulate in Amsterdam. Do we need to show that the income is 100% or 125% of the federal poverty guidelines?

Sincerely,

Brian XXXXXX

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving thread to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry for the double post but I think who wonder about the 100% or the 125% would like to see this, so I had to change the title of my topic!

If you have read the K1 process correctly, the affidavit of support formI-134 - DOES not require the 100% or the 125%.

The 100% or the 125% is only required for the form I-864 – this form is NOT required for the K1 fiance visa application.

Full instructions on the following web page: http://amsterdam.usc...ov/k_visas.html

Important notice: Your K1 application can only be processed upon receipt of the approved I129F petition by the USCIS office and the physical K1 visa file has been received from the National Visa Center - Your K1 visa petition has NOT YET been received at this office.

Fiance visa applicants are also advised: NOT to give up my job. dispose of property, or make any final travel and wedding arrangements until a visa is actually issued to me.

Immigrant visa unit

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I'm currently in the K1 process and reading about the poverty guidelines for the I-134 form that we have to provide at the final interview at the consulate in Amsterdam. Do we need to show that the income is 100% or 125% of the federal poverty guidelines?

Sincerely,

Brian XXXXXX

Be sure not to confuse people... this is the position of Amsterdam and Amsterdam only... the second caution is that the 125% comes into play when you file the I-485, and for many applicants that is shortly after arrival on the K-1. So if it is not needed at the time of K-1 issuance, it is needed just a few short months later.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Be sure not to confuse people... this is the position of Amsterdam and Amsterdam only... the second caution is that the 125% comes into play when you file the I-485, and for many applicants that is shortly after arrival on the K-1. So if it is not needed at the time of K-1 issuance, it is needed just a few short months later.

Thats very true, but atleast we will be together :) So I, filing for K1 in Amsterdam, dont have to worry about the 100% or 125% now?

K1:

09/17/10 - I-129F filed

09/20/10 - Package arrived in Dallas,TX

09/22/10 - NOA1 (e-mail), routed to VSC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thats very true, but atleast we will be together :) So I, filing for K1 in Amsterdam, dont have to worry about the 100% or 125% now?

NO don't worry about that now

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Immigrant visa unit

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Sincerely,

Brian XXXXXX

So this page on the Amsterdam website is incorrect? http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

What they're telling you is that they're not going to tell you. There is no statutory requirement for a specific income threshold with an I-134 for a K1 visa. The consulate has discretion, and they're not going to give up that discretion by quoting a number to you. I've said this numerous times here. Consulates do not publish their criteria for evaluating an I-134 because they don't have to.

People keep trying to look at the I-134 as if there's a magical line they have to cross, and once they cross it then they don't have anything to worry about. This is almost true with an I-864 because there's an entire section of the INA dedicated to this affidavit and it's requirements. There is practically nothing in the INA about the requirements for an affidavit of support with a non-immigrant visa.

There is a wealth of experience on this website. Nearly everyone who has been denied a K1 because of an insufficient affidavit of support were below the 125% threshold. It's unlikely you'll go wrong if you presume this is the minimum. If you're anywhere close to this level then get a joint sponsor.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.