Export of Dhaka

Citizenship Oath -what does it really mean?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Looks all of these answers touch the subject but may be confusing. Let me try to tie them up into one nice package.

A lawful permanent resident, which is a Green Card holder, can only petition for a spouse, which in her case would be a husband, or a minor child. She cannot petition for a fiance. In order to petition for a fiance, she would have to be a US citizen. The earliest she can become a US citizen is exactly 5 years after becoming a resident. The exact date is in front of her Green Card where it says: Resident since/ xx/xx/201x.

She could marry her fiance, either in his country or any other country on planet Earth, or, in case her finance has a visa to the US, they even could get married right here in the Land of the Brave and Free.

After they got married, your friend files an I-130 petition, which is a "petition for an alien relative" from the US of A.

Once that petition has been approved, it will be send to the National Visa Center (NVC). These folks take a bit of time and then will eventually contact her to provide an Affidavit of Support via form I-864, basically showing that her income is sufficient to support her foreign husband. Once that's taken care of, her petition will be put into a big ice box and will sleep until her Priority Date becomes available. That will be a few years. Once the PD becomes current, the petition will be send to the US consulate in her husband's country of residence. Basically that's an okay for her husband to apply for an IR-1 visa.

Once the paperwork is done, an interview has taken place, and the fees have been paid, her husband will receive an IR-1 immigrant visa which he will use to travel to the USA. The moment he is "admitted" to the US (arrives there), he will have the status of a LPR, as your friend has it now.

An LPR can petition for his/her unmarried son or daughter over 21, who are not minors.

Also, from your signature, it looks like you got some kind of dual citizenship thing BEFORE you became a USC. Did you know that at the oath ceremony, you took an oath to RENOUNCE all foreign citizenship/allegiance in order to become a USC? Here is what the oath says: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen".

So, after you have become a USC, if you have ever presented yourself as a citizen of another country because you USED TO be a citizen of that country, you have technically violated your oath, and thereby is no longer a considered a USC. Now, USA doesn't mind if you acquire your citizenship AFTER you have become a USC, as long as you do not renounce US citizenship in the process of getting the citizenship of that foreign country.

Now, in reality does the US govt keep an eye on the people to make sure they don't violate the oath? Not really.

EDIT: Sp.

Edited by Export of Dhaka

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

An LPR can petition for his/her unmarried son or daughter over 21, who are not minors. :thumbs: :thumbs:

Also, from your signature, it looks like you got some kind of dual citizenship thing BEFORE you became a USC. Did you know that at the oath ceremony, you took an oath to RENOUNCE all foreign citizenship/allegiance in order to become a USC? Here is what the oath says: "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen".

So, after you have become a USC, if you have ever presented yourself as a citizen of another country because you USED TO be a citizen of that country, you have technically violated your oath, and thereby is no longer a considered a USC. Now, USA doesn't mind if you acquire your citizenship AFTER you have become a USC, as long as you do not renounce US citizenship in the process of getting the citizenship of that foreign country.

Now, in reality does the US govt keep an eye on the people to make sure they don't violate the oath? Not really.

:ot: it happens every day.. you have countries like canada and jamaica who recognizes dual citizenship.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

An LPR can petition for his/her unmarried son or daughter over 21, who are not minors.

I am going to guess English is not your first language.

You state what the oath says, that is all it says, and then suggest it means something else.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
eb0dfafc.gif

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Other Timeline

Dhaka,

I have read more about the subject of dual nationality and citizenship than you could possibly imagine. Once you have dived into that subject and have a clue what it's all about and how complex this issue really is, I'll gladly discuss it with you. Trying to tackle it at this stage is like trying to explain to a forth-grader why Einstein's Theory of Relativity in its practical implication requires the curvature of space closely related to the model of the Minkowski universe.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

After almost a year, wifes' Colombian citizen ID just came in the mail about two days ago. We could have gotten that instantly in Bogota if I slipped 300 US bucks under the table. We said the hell with that. Its also in her maiden name, we questioned about using her married name, they would not recognized her Venezuelan divorce or our USA marriage certificate. But said they would review our papers in their corrupt court of law for 3,000.00 US bucks. Wouldn't even take our stamped and sealed papers, wanted them directly from the Venezuelan courts and our register of marriage certificates with an apostile for even more expense.

We discussed her completely relinquishing her citizenship in Colombia, she is considered a citizen of that country, because she was born there. Said that wouldn't work for her as long as her place of birth in her US passport shows her place of birth is in Colombia. Our Department of State refuses to change that, but cannot provide me with a written law that states the place of birth has to be on there. Just some stupid reply, like its always been that way.

So who is to blame for maintaining dual citizenship? Not my wife, she just wants to visit her aging mom. Both the Department of State and Colombia are at fault, wife even told them she left Colombia at 18 years of age, the earliest she could leave, legally. They don't give a damn about that, she was born there. In like manner, the goddamned Department of State doesn't give a damn that she took an oath to serve this country, even in a time of war, they won't remove her place of birth. Would change it from Colombia to Bogota, but there is only two Bogotas in the entire world, nobody know about the other one.

Was told at her oath ceremony that she is a US citizen just like she was born here, that is pure BS, but that is only one agency with a stupid country like this one where in the last 40 years, some 1,500 new dictatorship agencies were formed. Mostly by draft dodging administrations that don't give a damn about sending our young to war to fight on some stupid ideology.

So I am fed up with both countries, mainly this one where I had to sacrifice six years of my life for, but somehow managed to survive. While I was trying to get some sleep in an insect and snake infested very poorly made pup tent, these basterds were living in an extreme state of luxury. Yes, I am bitter about that, but much better off than my buddies that lost limbs. They didn't give a damn about those guys either, our VA hospitals are a disgrace. Could blame my old man for not having the money to send me to Harvard so I could learn how to lie and cheat.

Really was given bad advice on my wife petitioning for her unmarried over 21 son, back then it was ten years for a LPR, and two years as a US citizen. Times have changed and now the processing times are about the same. More BS and change of administrations. And what does age have to do with keeping a family together? Today, Latin America is forgotten about with more emphasis placed on Iraq, Afghanistan, and Africa with there quotas, screw your family.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Oh, and this is MY country, was born here, paid taxes all of my life and had to defend it, the true traitors to this country are those ####### that are running it and sending our jobs overseas. So don't tell me to leave.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.