one...two...tree

The Importance of Science in Addressing Climate Change: Scientists’ letter to the U.S. Congress

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Does this also apply if its between friends and a joke? I could understand if was meant as an attack or to harm an argument but if its in jest?

Just wondering............

As this is a public forum, it is not always apparent to other users if such a comment was meant in jest or seriously. If it is meant humorously - and both the recipient and the poster agree that it is in jest - then it isn't a TOS violation. If the recipient disagrees that it is in jest, then it would be a TOS violation. If it is something between friends and meant as a joke, it is best to be very clear with either a comment in parenthesis or the effective use of emoticons that it is a mutual joke. We do get reports of such exchanges from others who are 'not in on the joke' and who are upset by what appears to them to be a TOS violation and personal attack.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

But... But... Personal attacks against those who oddly figure scientists might know more than the average Joe is all one side has. Hard to have a lively discussion on what actual scientists think if the other side is muzzled and unable to score any points for their own!

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:thumbs:

What a bunch of morons. Unfortunately they all vote and the congress is only too happy to sell out the future of the planet for the votes of the idiots and the dollars of big-oil corporatists!

What makes you think our planet has no future even if we keep fuсking it up? The planet

has a way of self-correcting imbalances. Just ask the dinosaurs.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

But... But... Personal attacks against those who oddly figure scientists might know more than the average Joe is all one side has. Hard to have a lively discussion on what actual scientists think if the other side is muzzled and unable to score any points for their own!

Like in Post #5?

Steven and also the envrionmental whackos would have you believe that taxing the hell out of people is a way to make it stop from happening. :rolleyes:

John Smith must have dropped his spectacles and scrolled past that post. ;)

Timeline

All opinions are equally valid, even odious ones. I've noticed.

Only to those who have nothing more than an tabloid understanding of science. Even my 9 yr. old understands the basic principles of Climate Change.

Edited by 8TBVBN

Indoctrination starts at an early age in your household Steven :thumbs:

Actually, I meant that I personally find it offensive that the only thing that is important in moderating decisions is if the poster calls another poster a name, even when that name is well deserved ;)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Indoctrination starts at an early age in your household Steven :thumbs:

Actually, I meant that I personally find it offensive that the only thing that is important in moderating decisions is if the poster calls another poster a name, even when that name is well deserved ;)

Ah, ok. Gotcha. :thumbs: The communist plot to make everyone ride bicycles is going according to plan.

Ah, ok. Gotcha. :thumbs: The communist plot to make everyone ride bicycles is going according to plan.

Indeed, and guess who's buying shares in Electra?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So why do we have eleven ethanol plants that are breaking every EPA rule in the book and making life miserable for people living near them. State won't even enforce these laws, as they think they are doing good. And why aren't vehicle manufacturers included with what fuels we can burn and required to manufacturer vehicles that can handle this kind of fuel.

And why are we using gasoline, when we have a known four thousand year supply of natural gas and another six thousand year supply of methane that burn much cleaner? We have no say in these matters, strictly government controlled. Least Al Gore has been quiet since his sex scandal, but he opted to make billions with CO2 regulations. Methane always was the leading cause of ozone depletion and global warming. And chlorinated drinking water and sewage processing the leading cause of chlorine in the upper atmosphere, have a government that would rather pick on a small can of R-12 instead, costing the consumers billions in mandatory conversions.

We can write all we want to, to our congressman on these issues, but unless you enclose a check for a zillion dollars, they won't listen to you, other sources that those zillions of dollars. Doesn't help to have an uneducated American public either, may the man with the best line of BS become our leaders.

So why do we have eleven ethanol plants that are breaking every EPA rule in the book and making life miserable for people living near them. State won't even enforce these laws, as they think they are doing good. And why aren't vehicle manufacturers included with what fuels we can burn and required to manufacturer vehicles that can handle this kind of fuel.

And why are we using gasoline, when we have a known four thousand year supply of natural gas and another six thousand year supply of methane that burn much cleaner? We have no say in these matters, strictly government controlled. Least Al Gore has been quiet since his sex scandal, but he opted to make billions with CO2 regulations. Methane always was the leading cause of ozone depletion and global warming. And chlorinated drinking water and sewage processing the leading cause of chlorine in the upper atmosphere, have a government that would rather pick on a small can of R-12 instead, costing the consumers billions in mandatory conversions.

We can write all we want to, to our congressman on these issues, but unless you enclose a check for a zillion dollars, they won't listen to you, other sources that those zillions of dollars. Doesn't help to have an uneducated American public either, may the man with the best line of BS become our leaders.

Perhaps if the people demanded proper investigative journalism rather than drooling over populist figures like Beck and being content to ra ra this bunk as true American heroism things might change?

I totally agree that not all that is touted as being Green is Green, but I don't blame one party over another, nor am I quite so cynical as to assume that no matter what the people think nothing can change. A bit more scrutinized reporting would certainly get things moving in the right direction - as would a bit less demonizing science and scientists.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Filed: Timeline

You can say the same thing about bio-diesel producers as well. There ares currently few, if any, regulations regarding those fuels, compared to mineral diesel, which has become more and more refined, and it's production regulated. Next time you smell that burning vegetable oil in the air, think of what that is doing to your lungs.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

And why are we using gasoline, when we have a known four thousand year supply of natural gas and another six thousand year supply of methane that burn much cleaner? We have no say in these matters, strictly government controlled.

Uh, pardon me for saying, but your complete lack of knowledge of science is showing. I guess you don't know this but most high school chemistry students could tell you that natural gas is... Methane!!!

:rofl:

Filed: Timeline

Uh, pardon me for saying, but your complete lack of knowledge of science is showing. I guess you don't know this but most high school chemistry students could tell you that natural gas is... Methane!!!

:rofl:

Shhh! Don't let your facts get in the way of a good story.

Natural gas as recovered from underground deposits contains mainly methane (CH4), but it also contains heavier gaseous hydrocarbons such as ethane (C2H6), propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10). Other gases such as CO2, nitrogen and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) are also often present. Natural gas also contains small amounts of helium, and is the main source of helium. Small amounts of mercury may be present. The exact composition varies from one field to another.

Methane is typically 70-90 percent, ethane 5-15 percent, propane and butane up to 5 percent.

Sulfur compounds must be removed before distribution. Small amounts of odorant are added to assist in leak detection. Mercury if present is removed.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_composition_of_natural_gas#ixzz1D76x68WP