marielac

how do you guys stay in contact with your significant other?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Elena's internet is metered, as she is too far from the city center to get wired for cable, so her only broadband choice is a 3G cell modem. Such is the way things are in Russia, where as late as 5 years ago, cell phones were analog and had incompatible systems between major cities. They are now where we were roughly 15 years ago in internet and cell technology.

Because of this, we can't use anything that eats up expensive internet bandwidth, so Skype and Magic Jack are on the nyet list.

So our best bet is the Global Connect card from www.alsosmart.com. You call a U.S. number, punch in your PIN and dial away. It only costs about 2 1/2 cents a minute this way.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

Elena's internet is metered, as she is too far from the city center to get wired for cable, so her only broadband choice is a 3G cell modem. Such is the way things are in Russia, where as late as 5 years ago, cell phones were analog and had incompatible systems between major cities. They are now where we were roughly 15 years ago in internet and cell technology.Because of this, we can't use anything that eats up expensive internet bandwidth, so Skype and Magic Jack are on the nyet list.So our best bet is the Global Connect card from www.alsosmart.com. You call a U.S. number, punch in your PIN and dial away. It only costs about 2 1/2 cents a minute this way.

Voipcheap.com actually offers free calling to Russia. You should give it a try, Al.

======================================================================

K-1 Process

09/03/2010 - NOA1

02/02/2011 - NOA2 text message and an email (~5 months later)

04/26/2011 - Interview! Visa APPROVED and issued! yAAAy

05/20/2011 - POE: LAX

06/03/2011 - Wedding!!

07/07/2011 - Adilet got his SSN!

AOS Process

07/11/2011 - Sent our AOS package (AOS & EAD)

07/13/2011 - NOA1 text message and an email

08/09/2011 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2011 - Email notification that our interview is set for October 14.

09/23/2011 - Email notification that Adilet's EAD is in production.

10/04/2011 - EAD in hands.

10/14/2011 - Interview. GC APPROVED on the spot! Yeah!

11/01/2011 - GC in hands

04/03/2012 - Our beautiful baby girl is born!

event.png

Skype! And Skype mobile :)

Also, GMAIL calls are free to any number in the US, so I use that to call Tim alot :)

Ouch! Had we known this one before we could have saved lots of $$$ for Burgers and Rib-Eye Steaks instead of paying a huge monthly phone bills. :angry::P

Edited by ~happyndinlove~

Immigration Timeline Summary

10.21.2008 – CR-1 Visa Application Filed (By Hubby's Sec)
09.04.2009 – Visa Interview | Passed
09.10.2009 – Visa Packet Received
09.17.2009 – US Entry | Home
07.05.2011 – ROC Petition Filed
05.01.2012 – ROC Approved (No Interview)
05.18.2012 – 10-year GC Received
06.19.2012 – Eligible to apply for Naturalization
(procrastinated)
06.24.2013 – N-400 Application Filed
09.30.2013 – Civics Test / Interview | Passed
10.03.2013 – Oath Taking Ceremony | Became a USCitizen!
04.14.2014 – Applied for "Expedite Service" Passport (as PI travel date was fast approaching)
04.16.2014 – Passport Issued & Shipped
04.17.2014 – US Passport Received

Our timeline vanished into thin air.

I've contacted the admin several times but I got zero response.

https://meiscookery.wordpress.com

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Voipcheap.com actually offers free calling to Russia. You should give it a try, Al.

Does it use bandwidth on her end? We have to conserve that since it is metered.

Besides, Global Connect is cheap enough, as I spend less than $100 a year on it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

You need to go to www.digicel.hn you can have him get a digicel phone they are really cheap and if you put 10 dollars on it it will last like a week and they give you cuadruple saldo so he can call you! That's how we do it! My hubby calls me from honduras and it is a lot cheaper that way after i send him las recargas.

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

You need to go to www.digicel.hn you can have him get a digicel phone they are really cheap and if you put 10 dollars on it it will last like a week and they give you cuadruple saldo so he can call you! That's how we do it! My hubby calls me from honduras and it is a lot cheaper that way after i send him las recargas.

that sounds great! do you have a landline or a cell phone? sprint unfortunately charges for incoming LD. which really bites. it is cheaper though since its not as expensive as outgoing LD but still pricey. i am hardly ever home because of classes and work, i hardly use a landline.

i am going to look into magic jack! he doesnt have internet but his cousin does.

other than that, MetroPCS does not charge for incoming LD and its only $50 a month! im thinking ill see how crappy the connection is and if so, its calling cards and skype for me!

thanks so much everyone!

Timeline

Does it use bandwidth on her end? We have to conserve that since it is metered.Besides, Global Connect is cheap enough, as I spend less than $100 a year on it.

no. you call directly to her landline. less than $100 is not bad either =)

K-1 Process

09/03/2010 - NOA1

06/03/2011 - Wedding!!

AOS Process

11/01/2011 - GC in hands

event.png

Filed: V-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Elena's internet is metered, as she is too far from the city center to get wired for cable, so her only broadband choice is a 3G cell modem. Such is the way things are in Russia, where as late as 5 years ago, cell phones were analog and had incompatible systems between major cities. They are now where we were roughly 15 years ago in internet and cell technology.

Because of this, we can't use anything that eats up expensive internet bandwidth, so Skype and Magic Jack are on the nyet list.

So our best bet is the Global Connect card from www.alsosmart.com. You call a U.S. number, punch in your PIN and dial away. It only costs about 2 1/2 cents a minute this way.

its alsosmart.com? i do not see anything :/

Timeline

i think it's alosmart.com

K-1 Process

09/03/2010 - NOA1

06/03/2011 - Wedding!!

AOS Process

11/01/2011 - GC in hands

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I use vonage international calling plan $35.00 a month flat fee to any land line in most countries of the world with a few exceptions. But for the money its well worth the price. I call her because the other way around it would cost a fortune. I call her every night. If I need to reach her during the day I use my cell phone and its a flat per minute charge as if the call was made to a number in the US. for that I use Tracfone. Forget about her calling me from Brazil it would just cost her too much in the minutes charges. Then the other thing I use is MSN and gmail IM. with all that in place we are good to go for our communication needs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sudan
Timeline

I use Skype/Google Voice to talk to my Fiancee. I prefer to use them as it's really easy to get the call records for the Visa.

Rates to Sudan tend to be about the same across a lot of services, additionally because of the infrastructure the cheaper rates usually come with terrible call quality. I've found Skype to have the best quality but they cost more then Google Voice ( .26 vs .20)

Edited by Ashex

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Skype and YM! :thumbs:

AOS Journey

09/08/2011 ~ NOA1 for AOS,EAD & AP

09/09/2011 ~ Text & email notification

09/10/2011 ~ Updated!

09/19/2011 ~ ASC Appointment Notice date for 10/17/2011 Biometrics Appointment

09/30/2011 ~ Email notification - AOS was transferred to another office

10/06/2011 ~ Received hardcopy of AOS CSC Transfer Notice.. 9:45 pm Updated!

10/07/2011 ~ Biometrics walk in SUCCESSFUL!!!

11/02/2011 ~ EAD Card/Document Production

11/07/2011 ~ EAD updated

11/08/2011 ~ EAD Post Decision Activity

11/12/2011 ~ EAD/AP card on hand!!!

02/02/2012 ~ RFE for lost medical and divorce decree, got the notice on Feb. 9, 2012

02/17/2012 ~ Submitted rfe, USCIS received it Feb. 21,2012

03/08/2012 ~ Card/Doc production, Decision

March 15,2012 ~ GC on hand! Permanent Resident since 28 February 2012

We use Telepinas 2-way unlimited calling for $100 a month. He can call me and I can call him anytime through our cellphones, UNLIMITED, every single day. So no matter where we go, we can always take our cellphone with us and can call. During weekends we use Skype to see each other on camera. We both are working so we only have weekends to see each other, or if I will take a day off from work.

K1 Timeline

02-28-11 I-29F SENT

06-01-11 PETITION APPROVED

07-15-11 VISA APPROVED

AOS Timeline

03-02-12 I-485 SENT

05-22-12 INTERVIEW APPROVED

ROC Timeline

04-18-14 I-751 SENT

07-29-14 APPROVED

Naturalization Timeline

06-29-16 N400 SENT

08-02-16 BIOMETRICS

10-12-16 INTERVIEW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.