20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Upon approval of EAD or AoS does USCIS update the SAVE database? I've heard it takes AT MOST 15 days for new statuses to show up in there.

If so, why has my wife been denied for a social security number 3 weeks after her EAD was approved?

Edited by Hamburger Man

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Upon approval of EAD or AoS does USCIS update the SAVE database? I've heard it takes AT MOST 15 days for new statuses to show up in there.

If so, why has my wife been denied for a social security number 3 weeks after her EAD was approved?

Sounds like somebody screwed up. If I had to guess, I'd guess it was someone at SSA rather than USCIS. My wife got her SSN after entering with a K1 while her I-94 was still valid. That went ok, and they issued the card with the standard "Not valid for work without DHS authorization" statement. My wife and step-kids got their EAD's five days before the green card interview, so we didn't have time to go to the SSA office. We went after the green card interview and brought the EAD cards. I wanted to get a new card for my wife without the "DHS authorization" statement, and get initial cards for my step-kids. SSA issued cards to all three of them with the "DHS authorization" statement on ALL of them. We went back AGAIN after we got the green cards. This time they got the SSN cards right.

Go back to the SSA office and pound your fist into the desk. If the clerk seems clueless then ask for a supervisor.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

I agree with Jim, go back to SSA and insist on speaking with a supervisor. I was able to apply for a SS# two days after my EAD arrived without any problems, and there should be no reason why you shouldn't.

AOS From B2 Journey

8/13/10: AOS Package Sent

8/16/10: Package Received at Chicago Lock Box

8/26/10: Checks Cleared and Case Transferred to NBC

8/30/10: NOA Text/ Email and Hard Copy

8/31/10: Case Status Appears On USCIS Site

9/9/10: I-130 I-485 I-765 Touched

10/5/10: Called USCIS abt "No Bio Letter" / Service Request

10/13/10: Hard Copy Service Request

10/20/10: I-765 I-485 Touched

10/21/10: I-765 I-485 Touched Again :-)

10/23/10: Biometric Letter Received For Nov 15 App

11/15/10: Biometric Appointment

11/15/10: EAD Approved..... I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/16/10: Card Production Ordered.....I-485 & I-765 Touched

11/19/10: Card Production text and email received again for I-765. I-765 Touched

11/23/10: EAD Received

11/29/10: Applied for ID and SS card

12/04/10: SS card and AOS Interview Letter received

01/04/11: AOS Interview..APPROVED!!!

01/13/11: Green Card Received

ROC JOURNEY

10/09/12: ROC Filed

10/12/12: Package delivered to VCS

10/17/12: Check cashed, but no NOA1 yet.

10/20/12: NOA1 hardcopy received. Dated 10/15/12

11/09/12: Biometrics Notice

12/04/12: Biometrics Done

01/04/13: 2yr GC expires

04/26/13: RFE :-(

05/22/13: REF Response Mailed

06/06/13: Text and Email update: Card production ordered!!!

06/10/13: USCIS update about card mailed!

06/12/13: CARD RECEIVED!!! dancin5hr.gif

Timeline

Sounds like somebody screwed up. If I had to guess, I'd guess it was someone at SSA rather than USCIS. My wife got her SSN after entering with a K1 while her I-94 was still valid. That went ok, and they issued the card with the standard "Not valid for work without DHS authorization" statement. My wife and step-kids got their EAD's five days before the green card interview, so we didn't have time to go to the SSA office. We went after the green card interview and brought the EAD cards. I wanted to get a new card for my wife without the "DHS authorization" statement, and get initial cards for my step-kids. SSA issued cards to all three of them with the "DHS authorization" statement on ALL of them. We went back AGAIN after we got the green cards. This time they got the SSN cards right.

Go back to the SSA office and pound your fist into the desk. If the clerk seems clueless then ask for a supervisor.

I know Jim. This was just a rant because I am so frustrated with the SSA right now.

This is the second time we applied for my wife’s SSN and this is the second time we have run into trouble.

This is just an aside to this topic, but can someone clue me in to what SSA requires in terms of status before they'll issue an SSN? My wife arrived on a K-1 and we were married 2 weeks after arrival. Upon receiving our marriage certificate we applied for an SS number. A relative of mine works at my local office and helped me put the application in, assuming that we wouldn't have an issue. However, the issuance of a number was denied because her marriage status had not been updated in any way with Immigration. Now that we've filed our AoS, will that be enough to once again apply for an SSN?

Timeline

This is just an aside to this topic, but can someone clue me in to what SSA requires in terms of status before they'll issue an SSN? My wife arrived on a K-1 and we were married 2 weeks after arrival. Upon receiving our marriage certificate we applied for an SS number. A relative of mine works at my local office and helped me put the application in, assuming that we wouldn't have an issue. However, the issuance of a number was denied because her marriage status had not been updated in any way with Immigration. Now that we've filed our AoS, will that be enough to once again apply for an SSN?

Did you apply for an EAD? Nothing short of that or a green card will get them to issue you a SSN now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Your marriage status has absolutely nothing to do with her eligibility. A K1 visa holder is eligible to receive an SSN up until 14 days before their I-94 expires, married or not. If they don't apply for an SSN in that window of time then they aren't eligible again until they have either an EAD or a green card.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When we first applied for my wife from (K-1) for SSN it went very easy. My wife recently received her EAD card and so did my stepson. When they processed the EAD my stepson (17) was able to be issued his SSN, with my wife it did not work well at all, the EAD just wasnt going to work, so they sent a request to DHS to find out what the problem was. Well I called back the SS Call Center and it was still on hold, so I decided to call USCIS and asked to be connected to a Tier 2 person. Before I go any further all Forms I-485, I-765, and I-131 all had my last name on them and both EAD and AP had her new last name, well somewhere along the line USCIS goofed and found out that her A# was the problem because it still showed her previous name. USCIS sent in a request to see about what happened and until they fix this problem no new SSN with her new last name.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Timeline

When we first applied for my wife from (K-1) for SSN it went very easy. My wife recently received her EAD card and so did my stepson. When they processed the EAD my stepson (17) was able to be issued his SSN, with my wife it did not work well at all, the EAD just wasnt going to work, so they sent a request to DHS to find out what the problem was. Well I called back the SS Call Center and it was still on hold, so I decided to call USCIS and asked to be connected to a Tier 2 person. Before I go any further all Forms I-485, I-765, and I-131 all had my last name on them and both EAD and AP had her new last name, well somewhere along the line USCIS goofed and found out that her A# was the problem because it still showed her previous name. USCIS sent in a request to see about what happened and until they fix this problem no new SSN with her new last name.

Something like this must be going on with my wife’s “account” over at USCIS. What was the outcome? Are you still waiting?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hamburger Man

I just called 2 days ago, after waiting a week and a half to hear something from the nearby SS Office, and they never called to give me a status. Like I said calling the Social Security call center is very similiar to USCIS call center :lol: , the good old screen conversation. When I talked to the tier 2 officer he put in the request to fix the problem and that he put in the information to experdite. So as soon as I find out something I will let you know.

AOS:

Green Card APPROVAL for wife and stepson 02/10/2011

Revd'd Green Cards for wife and stepson today 02/19/2011

My timeline gives all the information

Your marriage status has absolutely nothing to do with her eligibility. A K1 visa holder is eligible to receive an SSN up until 14 days before their I-94 expires, married or not. If they don't apply for an SSN in that window of time then they aren't eligible again until they have either an EAD or a green card.

Interesting. Seems like someone at SSA didn't know what the hell they were doing, then. Here's hoping the EAD process goes quickly...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Try a different SS office in your town. They may have someone who actually knows what they are supposed to do. You may also want to tell them EAD means EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENT just incase they are not smart to know that.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hamburger Man - if yer lass has a green card or EAD document -

then it's a human problem with SSA office.

Seriously.

But if you think you have any SAVE database issues, have a longish read round here? http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextchannel=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextoid=1721c2ec0c7c8110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

ultimately, if real SAVE database problem, go into a CBP secondary inspection / deferred inspection office, get it sorted face to face in real time (don't bother with telephone)

----

USUALLY, when applying for SSN at SSA office, can come back in 2 days, and EITHER -

--get the SSN or

--discover some problem.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Hamburger Man - if yer lass has a green card or EAD document -

then it's a human problem with SSA office.

Seriously.

But if you think you have any SAVE database issues, have a longish read round here? http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

ultimately, if real SAVE database problem, go into a CBP secondary inspection / deferred inspection office, get it sorted face to face in real time (don't bother with telephone)

----

USUALLY, when applying for SSN at SSA office, can come back in 2 days, and EITHER -

--get the SSN or

--discover some problem.

We applied in September 2010 while my wife’s I-94 still had about 45 days left on it. They claimed they couldn’t verify the name and sent it to homeland security for further review. After more than 6 weeks past they sent us a letter that her I-94 would expire before they could issue the number.

We applied again on Jan 18, her EAD was in hand and approved on Jan 5th, 2010. Was told she wasn’t in SAVE yet because it hadn’t been the full 10 working days yet. A follow up call later that week and then again on Thursday the 27th revealed that a secondary verification was entered and no response yet and a paper verification was also mailed to DHS and no work back on that yet either.

Since then my wife’s 2-yr green card has arrived with a resident since date of 1/13/2011. It has been well over 10 days since even her AoS was approved so I don’t understand why they can’t find her in SAVE and get a social security number issued as of yet.

What’s my next step here?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

OK - - can go to SSA office and inquire what the SAVE problem is -

it will be either -

NAME is wrong in SAVE or

A# is wrong in SAVE.

then

go to CBP office, face to face, have it updated there, then

GO back to SSA office about 3 days later.

---

re: all of the paperwork slinging that's been done on her behalf - sorry - won't matter except to delay things - so

if you'd like some action at the local SSA office - you'll need to get the supervisor involved (at the office) and have him/her walk through the entire application, finding exactly where his/her employees f*cked up.

This 'external verification' from DHS is only necessary if the VISA NAME and or A# not match what's in the visa, when compared to the SAVE database info - and 9 times out of 10, it's wrong because of a CBP human entering it wrong the first time at the POE, or subsequently at the Data Entry stations after the casefile is turned over, inside POE, past POE.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.